Coral Vue Hydros

How many clownfish can I have?

cranium

I just bought a pair of picasso clownish and they are about an inch long. The LFS also had a snowflake picasso that was pretty cheap, and I wanted to buy it. Does anyone know if they will be ok together in a 34g red sea max? They're all the same size.

From what i have read. Not personal experience you can only keep 2, unless your going to have a very large aquarium length wise. The one not in the pair will get picked on.

Someone might have hands on different experiences.

I've had 4 in a 40 breeder with no problems. Two percula and two occelaris, they even mingled time from time. It really depends on the fish themselves and how you introduce them.

I wanna have a 50g or so and have like 10 clownfish living together. I always thought that was impossible to do though.

Nothing is impossible, may be more difficult with some species but some clownfish live in harems in the wild with many fish living in one anemone.

I feel like if you had 5+ you may be able to do it, the picking on would be spread around, but if one started to get hurt bad, QT would be necessary. They aren't any more violent then African cichlids, which are overstocked on purpose to reduce aggression. Just make sure none of the clowns are related, if they breed you will have a very low success rate if the clowns are related.

IIRC, there was someone of RC that started off with about 50 baby Ocellaris in a giant tank, and now has only two left. To the OP, if you put both of those pairs together, they will kill each other. I wouldn't try it because it's a lot of money to waste.

Just make sure none of the clowns are related, if they breed you will have a very low success rate if the clowns are related.

Riiiiiight....... :huh:

if you put both of those pairs together, they will kill each other. I wouldn't try it because it's a lot of money to waste.

Well there you go, someone who knows the real answer.

Thanks for the input. I'm a little hesitant but I might try it. They're not related I bought the pair from liveaquaria.com and the snowflake is at my lfs.

Thanks for the input. I'm a little hesitant but I might try it. They're not related I bought the pair from liveaquaria.com and the snowflake is at my lfs.

Try it. It will definitely work since the tank is so big, and there's no chance of the pairs killing each other at all. And just a suggestion, but put a pair of SA Wyoming Whites in with them so they won't get lonely, and possibly a CB Latz or two too. :)

Just make sure none of the clowns are related, if they breed you will have a very low success rate if the clowns are related.

What? Will they wind up with 6 toes or something?

Inbreeding causes birth defects. I've seen horribly spine defects in inbred fish.

However, animals do things like that and they have no consciences so it's totally fine! :)

No pickle he said low sucess rate, so most of them will end up working at Home Depot instead of going to college.

No pickle he said low sucess rate, so most of them will end up working at Home Depot instead of going to college.

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!! The horror!!!!

It really depends on the fish themselves and how you introduce them.
This.

I feel like if you had 5+ you may be able to do it... Just make sure none of the clowns are related, if they breed you will have a very low success rate if the clowns are related.
I agree, partially, with your first part. If you're going to have less than a large group make sure they're in pairs. I've kept separate pairs together. Its the third or fifth wheel that is usually the odd man out. The inbreeding has nothing to do with success rate, just some problems if it happens for many generations as nanoty said. Plus that doesn't matter if you're not planning on breeding them and raising the fry. My current clown pair came from the same brood, but it doesn't matter, if they ever breed, sweet, free fish food.
I wanna have a 50g or so and have like 10 clownfish living together. I always thought that was impossible to do though.

There's a user on RC by the name of 'mobert' who started a tank a few years back with 26 clowns. They were all from the same clutch though. Over the years she lost 3-4 of them and was able to introduce some juveniles from the dominant pair that had bred in her tank. It's a great thread to look over. IIRC her tank was 210g.

on RC:

/forums/showthread.php?t=1259398

/forums/showthread.php?t=660686

Nothing is impossible, may be more difficult with some species but some clownfish live in harems in the wild with many fish living in one anemone.

not only in the wild :happy:

DSC09022.jpg

Photo by JCMG

Archived