Innovative Marine Aquariums

the sun sets today on kgoldy's all natural 90

kgoldy

Do you still have some flex in the light stand?

Nope. I probably wouldn't have had it the first time around if I really tightened everything down properly. The second time I set it up I made everything as tight as I could with my hands (no wrenches) and there was zero flexing and twisting.

I may go back to the original... I like the look of the supports being in the middle. Also, now that I know the sizes of the pipes I need, I may get solid lengths cut at Home Depot, so there will be less couplings needed- giving an overall smoother appearance.

I could also go with 45 degree elbows instead of 90's... which would make it less imposing.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad day.

So... I've ordered a new tank (free under replacement warranty). The silicone around the rim on this one is slowly breaking it's hold- and I figure 90 gallons of prevention is worth an entire house with wet floors. Because I designed the stand for this brand- down to the 1/16th of an inch, I unfortunately have to stick to Deep Blue. This is extremely frustrating. I'm going to have to buy a bunch of extra buckets just to hold the sand and rock... I'm looking at 18 buckets filled to the rim if I want to save every drop of water -which now contains a nice amount of bacteria.

Here's the case against Deep Blue.

Left side, distance from bottom rim to top rim is 21 1/4 inches.

IMG_20110223_184524.jpg

Right side, distance from bottom rim to top rim is 21 3/4 inches... and growing.

IMG_20110223_184513.jpg

When I put this much effort into making everything look so nice, a crooked looking water level just doesn't cut it.

IMG_20110223_184545.jpg

I'm going away for work this weekend, so this will be done some time next week, or the following weekend. As for now, other than finishing the light hanger, this project is pretty much on hold.

:(

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!

Sorry to hear about the tank..

Do you think the tank will be ok while you are gone? I would take 20-30 gallons out of the tank to take some of the stress off the peeling joints just to be sure it doesnt pop when you arent home.

That ####ing sucks man..

I have one of thier pumps for my retrun and it seems to run like a champ but it only restarts when it wants to.

It's just the plastic rim lifting up right? While a pain in the ass and you should get it fixed I cannot see it being structurally a problem until you get the new tank.

Yeah, just the plastic rim peeling. I'm sure it should be fine for the weekend. I'll have my family keeping an eye on things while I'm gone.

I would silicone and clamp it- but attempts at repair void the warranty. Always read the print. Get it? ;)

Ordered an AGA 90 RR. They might charge me for the overflow, since it comes separately... which is crap. But I'll see what happens.

I think it might be an 1/8 inch too big... But I think I can preform surgery on my nice cabinet without messing it up.

In the end, this is a good thing. Sure it's a full day of work (or a little more), and it'll delay my cycle by about two weeks... But I'm getting a clearer glass, and get to redo my plumbing.

DBP is tempered all around, so it's a little greenish. AGA will look a lot better. And I have an excuse to do some rigid PVC plumbing, which in the end will probably serve me better.

KGoldy I just watched your trailer for your documentary. It's too much of a cock tease. I want to see more :happy:

I'll be sure to post on this thread about the American premier. So far it's got rave reviews in Italy ( technically it's real home) and France... Just gotta wait on some big Documentary Film Festivals in the States to accept it.

LFS ordered the wrong replacement tank... Work on this project is getting pushed back again. <_<

How does that happen?

"Oops, we ordered you a standard 10G...sorry bro..."

How does that happen?

"Oops, we ordered you a standard 10G...sorry bro..."

Overflow in corner (what I told them I wanted) vs. overflow in the middle.

Just got confirmation of delivery for my replacement SID card from Digital Aquatics... Still no tank at the LFS though. <_<

Edit- It works!! Now to try to figure this bad boy out...

I spent 4 hours figuring out how to get the RKL working. Literally. 4. Hours.

But, it works. Still no word from the LFS about the new tank... but that's okay, I had a lot on my plate tonight.

Hopefully this weekend I'll get the new tank switched out...

Well, testing the RKL is going well... I'm already regretting not getting a RKE, since right out of the box I'm maxed out on my module limit. It would be nice to be able to add a third PC4 so that I can control everything I have, plus the dosers that I'll need eventually.

Perhaps I'll just do the RKE upgrade as a Christmas present to myself later this year. =]

Still no 90 gallon tank. I've been busy, so I don't mind the extra wait. It would have been nice to have it yesterday when it was 50* and sunny so I could spraypaint the back... But I guess I'll have to suck it up and drive a few extra miles to paint it at my shop this weekend- weather permitting.

I don't have any more vinyl laying around at the shop, and my decal guy makes me order like 30 feet at a time... So because I don't want to mess with online vendors- spray paint it is, for this tank's background.

Yo AJ, the wrasse man... if you're still lurking out there- got any wrasse recommendations? I'd like a peaceful community of small species.

I'm liking the looks of this:

The Longfin Fairy Wrasse is an ideal fish for the reef aquarium adding both bright coloration and activity to these aquariums. Wrasse of the genus Cirrhilabrus mix well together if they are introduced simultaneously to the tank, and are one of the best groups of fish for a reef tank setting.

Archived