Top Shelf Aquatics

ID on Crab Please?

.Newman.

woah, you made that thing based off my crab already? nice looking thing. you say you tested it already and it works?

jdl, you fly fish (SW style) down in florida? thats awesome!

do you use standard fly rod/line gear with those flies you make?Also where do you fish? can you show a pic of a characteristic environment where one will fish fore bonefish etc in florida? I am envisioning a grassy marsh as opposed to shorline...I know i sound like an excited noob lol, i have never fished anything but shore down there, and definitely not with flies.

whoa man are you sure you want to let this cat out of the bag?... im obsessed with fly fishing and fly tying. ill try to keep it short. this fly works on anything that eats crabs. even freshwater fish would eat it. i have caught a lot of fish on it already. fw and sw fly fishing are pretty popular in florida. rods with reels to match from 6wt to 16wt are used here in the salt. a lot of the gear will be a little more heavy duty than the fw fly gear. bonefish live in a variety of environments, and in more states than fl. hawaii, florida, texas, and california all have bonefish, fl being the majority of pop. you can find them in fl mostly below the lake okeechobee line. most of the fish are in miami and the keys. mangrove shorelines, oysterbeds, patch reef, grass flats, sandbars, beach shoreline, and estuaries all hold bonefish. they are sometimes caught in the canal systems as well.

prime real estate for bones

post-47781-1299449809_thumb.jpg

that looks fun. do you take your boat out to search for them or find a good shore spot and fish from the shore?

You do use the fly rod and reel type right? not regular spinning equip (lol, i suppose it would only make sense. regular spinning equip still works with flies, but with severely limited results haha)

fly rod and reel only son. i use my kayak more than anything. most of the bones i chase are in 12 inches of water or less. posting up can work if you know where and when the bones are cruising by. stalking bones on the flats is what i prefer. you can spot them tailing on the surface while feeding in the shallows, or they will be "mudding" in deeper water. you can also spot them swimming on the flats they look like grey missiles.

Your lucky. All I get to go for with my fly rods are panfish with a bass or grass carp in the mix.

i do that too, the coast of georgia has good redfishing.

irondragon013

Being a college student has really kept me from fly fishing or tying for the last couple years. I have so many flies laying around its nuts. I wish I had more time for it.

Archived