Coral Vue Hydros

Glazer's Dual Tube Skimmer

sogreedy23

Hey guys, this is a review of Glazer's (a fellow member from this forum) custom acrylic dual tube skimmer. if you look back, i wondered if a skimmer design i was trying would be efficient and work out. what i wanted in a skimmer:

• collection method out of the way and bigger
  • clear and SEXY looking
  • easy to operate and clean

glazer came up with a design that he used back in the day and we went from there. this is a simple, air driven design in which the skimmate is forced out into a gallon jug. some may think this is weird, but i wanted the collection method this way so i don't have to constantly check it. since its in a gallon jug, pretty much regardless of how wet my skimmate is set to, i pretty much only have to empty it out when i change my airstones.

so to the nitty gritty review. to be honest, what made me even think of doing something like this was the mame skimmer i saw on reefbuilders. i wanted a clear and nice looking skimmer and glazer really delivered.

check out what i mean

those are some teasers he sent me and obviously i was excited. when i got the package i was just as impressed with the packaging.

ra2qnl.jpg

10pwx8o.jpg

ri58on.jpg

everything arrived safely and it was very easy to put together based on his teaser pictures. there are a couple methods for foam production which is good especially as pump strengths differ. first, the valve on the bottom can simply control the amount of air allowed and that obviously helps control the foam. second, you can change the height very easily up and down. since there are two tubes, you can also set them to skim kind of differently. one tube can be set to skim a little wetter while they other a little dryer.

what i like about it:

• easy to take apart and clean
  • sweet, sleek looks
  • performs pretty well (so far so good in the first week of testing)
  • NO micro bubbles in the tank
  • huge collection method

I really love this bad boy, but some changes could be made (and probably will be). i received a sort of prototype/tester model of it. what will change for the next one, will be the inlet for the air. as it is, the two airstones share one line. the problem with this is not all airstones are created equally- some are more porous than others and air will obviously take the easier (more porous) route. to combat this, there will be two, separate air lines so that they operate independently. other than that this thing is great (with a loud airpump!). with some testing and experimenting i settled on an air pump "rated" for 30 or 40 gal, so it needs some power. the top (pictured) gets very dirty, obviously, with the skimmate. i'm yet to figure out an easy way to clean it whenever i do but that is obviously the only place that gets dirty, maintaining a clean look.

any questions feel free to ask! now some in tank and in use pictures!

system and total set up:

qot6pz.jpg

a couple in tank for size references, this is a 10g aga

aotbu9.jpg

20h7qyg.jpg

collection:

wt6mg0.jpg

2cx9648.jpg

**sorry, tank wasn't really ready for picture time!**

Looks awesome! I've always been impressed with a quality airstone driven skimmer.... With the right pump they can be quite powerful and silent too!

The final adjustments were just made for foam production, so I'll put a clear plastic cup instead of the jug to see the skimmate better. Performance update with pictures will be, let's say Monday (but sooner if I get nice skim before that

Any other questions?:) i guess I got a decent pump for foam production, this crap is just so loud and I'm not used to it lol

Whats the skimmate look like?

update and performance!

as promised, a skimmate pic in a cup:

2z9jjuq.jpg

this is from friday to today in an lps/softy tank..i've got a GCG, YWG and a clown in there

i was asked for some measurements so i took a few, if i missed one that you guys would like just let me know please!

**warning, my paintbrush skills aren't all that lol**

post-50406-1295290839_thumb.png

post-50406-1295290863_thumb.png

so my pump has quieted down, and has seem to have broken in nicely. i opted with a more powerful (top fin 4000 pump) so i can have less of the skimmer in the tank, just in case i eventually move in the direction i really want to (ultimately a 60-f or custom shallow tank). i've figured out how to clean the top-just use a q-tip or something similar and you'll be good to go. as for the rest of the skimmer, seems as though theres a slight algae bloom..will probably just use a wound up paper towel to wipe the inner walls down.

really love this thing! if anyone else has questions, requests or anything feel free, thanks for reading!

• 2 weeks later...
Anymore updates?

not really, unfortunately because what it is (not craftsmanship at all obviously), the inside of the tube was completely filled with diatoms. the diatoms were nowhere else on my tank and have never had a problem with diatoms so i'm assuming it is because it is clear..with the high nutrient nature of the skimmer body and the clear tube (especially right next to the light), i'm assuming it'd have to be thoroughly cleaned every three weeks. using just a paper towel will clean it up so it isn't an issue, though its something to note.

i haven't given any other updates because i just moved back into my dorm and out of consideration for my roomie, i chose not to run the obnoxious air pump that powered the skimmer. when i go back home after the semester i'll definitely pop it back on. for now i only run my lights, powerhead and heater.

i have the actual unit with me though so if anyone else has any questions feel free to ask!:)

• 1 month later...

bump for a relevant first review on a product recently featured on reefbuilders.com! congrats Glazer!

glazer made you a skimmer but didn't make me one?!? We've known each other since 2002. That summa#####!

There was booze and hookers involved.... ah right, kidding, he like, asked. Known me since '02 indeed...

Remember that time in Phoenix, those girls at the Country Coral, oh and that time we got lost outside of Miami and had to hitch hike and got picked up by Clutch and partied with them in their bus. Oh and that time my dog died and you..... wait, never mind, that was somebody else. :P

Steve

youre thinking of dickie. the only time i remember is the time where I kept trying to tell you she was a he and you snorted too much blow to realize it. and then in the morning I had to drive you to the hospital cause you were complaining about it burning when you peed

• 4 years later...

Wow old thread. Just a few questions is the 1.5 inch the internal or external diameter of the tube ?

Also how thick is the body tube of the skimmer?

Archived