Innovative Marine Aquariums

My 1/2g Dorm Reef

victor52

hey thats nice!

you got a tubastrean/sun coral how are you going to feed that?

pj86's ways is great. Take it out twice a week and feed it heavily w mysis in another tank. these corals absolutely do not mind being taken out of the water shortly. they can get so trained on heavy feeding and growth that they will still open in a tupperware tank 20 seconds after being transferred if they smell grinded mysis neat fact...

If you feed that sun coral externally, it will still import mysis protein into the tank by its waste pellets and by rejected material. Sometimes sun corals just spit up parts of shrimp and this will break down slightly in the tank enough to render protein for other systems not being directly fed. Theres lots of merit in keeping a clean micro pico but still meeting the feed requirements, thats the goal

this is a trickle down method of feeding, direct to indirect.

PJ continues to feed the whole tank phyto drip while he feeds externally, and his corals are showing the potential all picos have if they will be fed as well.

what I like best about yours is the clean design, no bulk. mine always had to be rear fanned by a desk fan, the compact mode is the best without this clutter. looks excellent.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

73587940.jpg

Here is my hairy Mushroom. He's pretty small about the size of a 5 cent coin

He's in the top right

234bl.jpg

again I'm sorry for the realy bad phone shots

it looks fine IMO, its just that you overloaded it with oversized stuff. tall things like branching SPS or hammer/frogspawn corals should go on the ledge on top left. definitely lower all zoas for now.

I was looking at my tank while looking at my pictures and they look nothing alike; the scape in person seems to have more depth and color, as well as personalitly. I'm stuck right now becouse I don't own a camera :(

• 2 weeks later...

ok its nice, but the red thing at the top looks extremely unhappy in the pic. its a mushroom right? it should be moved down and into a shaded area..

ya I did a huge water change since I left my tank alone for a whole week and I bumped it by accident and it fell to the bottom. I poked at it for a while with chop sticks trying to get but it really really hard in a tank this small.

More new coral... I really dont think anything else could possibly fit in my tank any more

• JAPANESE RED PEOPLE EATERS

• NEON GREEN BIRDSNEST

• BLUE & PEACHES Zoas

• BIRDSNEST

• NEON GREEN FAVIA

• SOLAR SYSTEM FAVIA

• MONTI

• Kowabunga Dudes Acan

• PEACH LEMONADE MILI

• AUSSIE MAZE

• SWEET ZOAS

• GREEN GOBLIN MILI

See 1st post for all of the updated stocking list

I tryed to keep the aquascape kinda open in the begging to allow room for all the corals. I always have a fear of crashing if thats whats your refering to. as many of us probably do when you´ve put alot into a tank.

I´ll try to get pictures on tommorow.

would you guys consider frogspawn and candycane agressive

Nice tank!

My residence hall lets me keep all the fish I want but they didnt like my albino boa constrictor pair that was under my bed. They enjoy raiding my room for some reason. I was suprised they didnt mind my piranha tank.

I think you could upgrade to a 3 gallon without any issues.

Thanks... I was really conteplating on upgrading but for some reason I kinda really like this little tank... maybe its becouse it already looks so full and diverse, its not the size but rather the way it looks ;)

this is a nice tank.

yes i meant the whole crashing risk when you put too much in at once, things slime up, release toxins, yadda yadda. good WCs should have been done. i also just think you are stocking way too fast, and by month 9 or so if everything is fine, the tank will be severely cramped and overgrown lol. dont you have a bigger system to move or sell your corals to?

I was just suggesting that you could get away with a 3 gallon tank and have room for a grow out. Then again brandon has a 1 gallon vase that was started in 2001 and is still going.

I know of your concern for overcrowding. I have been adding things quickly but everthing is very frag size, 1-3 polyps. That's all i´m going to put into this system. I do a 75% water change every other day, at least 3 times after I get something new and then just a normal 50% water a week after that. Right now I´m just going to sit back a watch things grow... and when things grow bigger I want, maybe, to toy with the idea of a new tiny aquarium.... ssshh keep it on the down low my parents would kill me if they found out I wanted to do another one....although when they come to my dorm they always sit on my bed and just stare at the tank, I think they like it more than I do.

in all honesty thats not my original bowl the design worked so well I just repeated it when the dang vase crashed due to red algae explosion that's why I burn it out now and don't play w it

current vase was started in 2006

I don't do alot of pruning you'd be surprised, after years of stocking these there is a mix of corals that share the space really nicely, for example my alveopora rubs up against the lobo all day long and also intertwines with the duncan to share space, one would think these would have to be pruned to thrive. the sps is slowly covering up the top and will eventually seal off the whole open top off the bowl, in which case I will drill holes in it for food/air/water change access. corals tend to plate out sideways before they plate upwards to crowd the tank, its fun watching animals overgrow one another to model what a reef does, plus many pico reefs don't actually grow and contort, the plugs just sit there day after day and it looks the same after 12 mos as it did week one. its not that dosing and feeding causes alot of pruning, its that it speeds up growth slightly just enough so that one can actually see their reef changing and adjusting its shape to the currents and treatment in a notable way.

this is a wild amount of corals for a 1gallon.. good luck man! frag it like you mean it!

Its a 1/2g :blush:

brandon429 is my inspiration. I want my tank to look as diverse as his. Most of my coral are alot zoas and random polyps. I expect for these to play nice after there mats grow together, hopefully as I want a zoa garden with the other corals growing above them as a natural reef would.

My current problem I have encountered is were to place my frogspawn... i really really like were it is, the only problem is that a birdnest and monti are about 2-3 inches down-flow of it. As of now I have yet to see any foul play. But I was wondering what your takes were on this.

Archived