Pod Your Reef

rb1685's Rimless BC14 - 3.5 Years and counting

rb1685

I'm using Oceanic. I bought a whole bunch when I first started. I'm considering trying a few different salts.

Well, I did it. I ordered my new lights today. I ended up deciding on the Nanotuners LED Retrofit kit with the CREE option added. It wasn't cheap, but I love this hobby so much, so why not? Each color has its own dimmer so I can control the variance of blue/white ratio. I also wanted the colors on separate drivers so I can eventually have auto-dimming with a Reefkeeper further down the road. It's SPS time. There's a local guy who has several Blue Hawkins Echinata frags for cheap.

I also paid $1000 on my credit card in the same fell swoop, so my parents don't ##### at me. Hahaha.

Nice! Yes, lighting in this hobby is where it all begins. Like I said, I hope you have better luck than I did with lights in the hood. I havent done much with my tank lately. I did upgrade my MP10 to a MP10ES, for $55, not bad. I also just purchased an Apogee sensor so I can measure PAR, again at $150 not bad. The Apogee PAR meter cost around $400. All I need to do is connect the senor to my meter, multiply by 5 and BAM - PAR reading! :happydance: Should be here on Monday

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice! Yes, lighting in this hobby is where it all begins. Like I said, I hope you have better luck than I did with lights in the hood. I havent done much with my tank lately. I did upgrade my MP10 to a MP10ES, for $55, not bad. I also just purchased an Apogee sensor so I can measure PAR, again at $150 not bad. The Apogee PAR meter cost around $400. All I need to do is connect the senor to my meter, multiply by 5 and BAM - PAR reading! :happydance: Should be here on Monday

Yeah I'm super excited. No more limitations on to what I can keep. The guy at Nanotuners said that the CREEs at full blast would be more output than a 150w MH, but with dimmers I can bring it down so I don't bleach everything. I might consider an MP10ES for my birthday or something later this year, but I'm through buying equipment for now.

PAR Meter huh? I might just have to hire you to come out and test my tank one day. Hahaha. Oh by the way, that Pink Birdsnest is starting to get some pink again. It was almost totally white in its lower location, but since I moved to the top it seems to be doing a lot better. It should do really well under new lights.

yes the Nanotuners 5.6 is super sweeeeeet, but damn that bill is quite a lot. Im trying to decide for myself as well! paying interest on tank items = :scarry:

yes the Nanotuners 5.6 is super sweeeeeet, but damn that bill is quite a lot. Im trying to decide for myself as well! paying interest on tank items = :scarry:

Yeah I got a bonus this week at work, so that's how I was able to fund this addiction some more. No way I'd charge my toys.

Sweet. Can't wait to see this upgrade in action. I have a feeling once I do, I'll have to order one as well...

I'll try to take pics of the upgrade process. They give detailed instructions on the website, but I'll try to make my posts a suppliment to that.

They're saying three week lead-time on delivery. -_-

Oh well, all good things are worth waiting for!

hey guys :)

so i'm going to maybe be looking into some lighting upgrades for my bc14, but i really don't want to take the AIO look away from it, do these crees fit in the hood?

hey guys :)

so i'm going to maybe be looking into some lighting upgrades for my bc14, but i really don't want to take the AIO look away from it, do these crees fit in the hood?

Here's the kit we're talking about. It is specifically made for the BC14, so yes it does fit in the hood. In fact, I believe the clear plastic shield goes back over the whole assembly. At the bottom of the page you can select some options. The CREE upgrade is an extra $99, but I think it'll be worth it.

Here's their detailed instructions to give you an idea of how it is installed.

A couple of new aquisitions this weekend:

ORA Scripp's Greentip Staghorn

post-55375-1301401173_thumb.jpg

Red Monti Cap

post-55375-1301401189_thumb.jpg

Bi-Color Blenny (a.k.a. Lenny)

post-55375-1301401267_thumb.jpg

3/28/2011 FTS

post-55375-1301401287_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some new pics I took this weekend:

Lenny the Blenny is becoming much less shy every day:

post-55375-1302626388_thumb.jpg

One of my zoanthid polyps (not sure of the name) managed to catch a brine shrimp during feeding. It took the polyp (on the left) about 10 minutes to swallow it. Pretty cool to watch.

post-55375-1302626469_thumb.jpg

New zoanthid colonies I bought this weekend. These are still under PC, but the color still manages to "pop"

post-55375-1302626519_thumb.jpg

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my new LEDs will ship this week. The suspense is killing me. The tank is doing well overall. I'm still fighting the flatworms, but their population has diminished significantly.

I've noticed a considerable increase in hitchhickers. Especially with the Chitons -- their population is booming. I'm wondering if this is because of the increase in feeding with the addition of the new fish. I have also seen a few bubbles of Red Bubble Algae. It doesn't seem to be spreading, but I'm keeping a very close eye on it (two eyes in fact). I heard a Red Mithrax crab can eat this stuff, so I'll keep that in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I've seen a recent population growth in Polycorynactis anenomes. I originally had just one, but now I have probably over ten. They are really cool looking, but I don't want them to get out of hand. The tank has also developed a small problem with red bubble algae. There are only a few bulbs of it here and there, but I'm scared to attempt to pick them out manually, lest they burst and spread their spores. My Scarlet Hermit died, so to fill his alge-eating shoes, I bought an emerald crab. He's hasn't stopped eating since I put him in the tank (even though I can't see what he's eating). I do think I need a few more snails, as my glass continuously has a film on it.

I'm still having issues with my Alk, but I think my Alk test is at fault, though. I've noticed that the drops are really sloppy and somewhat inconsistent. I addKent Marine Alk buffer every couple of days, but it won't rise above 7 degrees. I'll try another test soon.

• 2 weeks later...

So with my new lights coming soon (hopefully they'll ship this week), I'm looking at some more stocking plans. I fully intend to have at least one black ocellaris (perhaps a pair), so my initial thought is to have something flowy like a frogspawn or a hammer coral growing on the "Plateau" as I call it. It is a large flat space that would be a nice eyecatching spot for a coral with some movement. Any suggestions?

post-55375-1304959215_thumb.jpg

On a side note. I'm really thinking about getting rid of the GSP shelf. It takes up a whole lot of space in the tank and it really casts a big shadow on the sandbed. It really makes my tank unique though, so I'm rather indecisive. Thoughts?

omgomgomg My Blasto has a new head!!!! omgomgomg

It has taken almost two months of being in the tank, but it seems it is comfy enough to reproduce. Yay!

Your GSP is super bright. Mine are no where near that fluorescent in my tank. Were they always that bright since you added it to your tank?

Your GSP is super bright. Mine are no where near that fluorescent in my tank. Were they always that bright since you added it to your tank?

Yeah. It's always been a great specimen. It has tripled in size since I got in January. I need to update with some new pics of it. It is starting to wrap around the edge of the shelf.

Do you live in Houston? You too can have super fluorescent GSP in your tank for the all low price of FREE!

Thanks for the offer but I don't. Maybe we can work something out as I wouldn't mind a frag of your GSP. PM me and we can work out the shipping costs.

Do you live in Houston? You too can have super fluorescent GSP in your tank for the all low price of FREE!

:happydance:

• 2 weeks later...

So the LEDs are AWESOME. Nanotuners makes a very fine product, which was well worth the wait. Everything was harnessed, so there was no soldering or electrical tape needed, and the total install took about an hour. Since they produce almost no heat, my temps have really stabilized, only fluctuating about +/- 1 degree throughout the day. I'm still acclimating the tank to the new lights, so I have the dimmable drivers set about 50%. The pics below were taken last week when I had the both the RB's and Cool Whites set at about 30%.

BamBams surrounded by Blue Anthelia (noxious weed)

post-55375-1307463378_thumb.jpg

Purdy zoa garden

post-55375-1307463393_thumb.jpg

Green Trumpetses.

post-55375-1307463417_thumb.jpg

One of my many rics has produced babies

post-55375-1307463462_thumb.jpg

Zoa garden from the opposite side of the tank. No that's not my thumb, but the underside of my Monti Cap.

post-55375-1307463489_thumb.jpg

All in all the livestock is doing well. I'm now feeding my Emerald Crab small bits of table shrimp once a week. I'm afraid if I don't, he'll go for some corals or my fish. Lenny the Blenny is one of the most entertaining fish I've seen. He hops around the tank following me around the room and has a voracious appetite. I found a new snail in the tank too. I think it's a Collinista, but I'm unsure.

I'm looking to get a pair of small Black & White Percula Clowns in the very near future. Has anyone had experience with these?

/drool on your LEDS, edison strips or CREE? (sorry, only read the last page here)

your tanks looking really nice, plan for room to allow things to grow and get bigger!

Archived