Innovative Marine Aquariums

Topless 20k Halide BC14 Now With Reefbrite Actinics!

Formula462

No prob! I did also notice that u work at a fish shop/ pet shop, I think u were saying in a post somewhere. Do they ship? If so what's the web site?

Nah we don't ship but it would be cool if we did. I personally may be able to send something if you are after and Montipora Cap frags. Got plenty of that lol.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
saltwatercoral
Nah we don't ship but it would be cool if we did. I personally may be able to send something if you are after and Montipora Cap frags. Got plenty of that lol.

That's awesome! I'm planing on keeping acan lords, chalice, Montipora and things like that. Do u have any photos of what u currently have?

That's awesome! I'm planing on keeping acan lords, chalice, Montipora and things like that. Do u have any photos of what u currently have?

That big red monti cap in my FTS pic of my Biocube. I just snap the cupped edges off. It makes for a nice frag and it will continue to grow in that shape.

After much thought I have decided and moved my light fixture down two inches. I am not getting the best color possible from my acropora. When the lights go out I am also going to remove and clean the glass shield. I might even be replacing my bulb with a new one (another phoenix)

Really liking the lower light. I cleaned the fixture out this morning and it was very dusty on the backside of the glass shield. That had to be hurting PAR to some degree. I have already noticed my Voodoo getting bluer further down it's structure and not just the tips. Here is a #### video of my tank I took today.

th_2011-10-28_14-31-38_163.jpg

720p HD Video on this phone but whenever I shoot the tank the with it, it just goes nuts with blue saturation and chop. It takes great video otherwise. I also think that uploading to photobucket with my phone knocks the quality down some.

Jeeberz! It's getting cold now! The heater actually has to come on and do it's job now. Guess my timing in moving the light fixture down was perfect. I'll add some new pics of the tank with the light lowered now. The above video really doesn't show anything legible lol.

Adding this video of me slicing a golfball (normally I don't :P ) to see if embedding is what makes the quality so bad. It looks great when just viewing the raw file.

th_2011-10-25_15-38-41_937.jpg

Yep, your golf swing still looks as bad embedded as it does in real life (at least I assume so).

I play baseball. Golf is a recent endeavor. Didn't claim to have a pretty swing, but I can knock the #### out of it 7/10 times. It only looks HD on my phone. As soon as it is sent to photobucket the quality drops tremendously. Why you knocking my swing anyway? You sound like the old dudes at the range. They tell me I am doing it wrong and I need to hold it like this or that, but I can hit it 75 yards farther than any of them. Oh well. I suck at short chipping so that makes them feel better.

I am beginning to think that my Tri Color Valida is actually a Green Velvet. I didn't bag it when I bought it and it was among a big cluster of similar looking acros. Honest mistake I believe. The structure looks more like Velvet, the polyps looks more like a Velvet and the tips are not purple.

Actually it might be that I don't want to admit that the placement I had chosen and the height of my lighting are detrimental to the coloration. I had the 150w halide exactly 10 inches from the water surface. I have lowered it to about 8 inches hoping that the increased PAR will color up the Acros better. I got pretty butthurt when my buddy asked me why my Blue Voodoo is more of a Brown Voodoo. The tips are bright blue, but as a whole it has lost some color. I have noticed that in the last couple days since lowering my light the blue has kind of come out more. Hopefully when I move this Valida more to the front, it's tips will turn purple like they should be. I don't know what I was thinking hanging that light so high in the first place. I hope my acans don't recede or my frogspawn and zoas. So far they seem to not mind the more intense lighting. I need to go ahead and order a new Phoenix bulb since they are so cheap right now. Mine is about 6 months old but I still want to replace it and see if I can tell a visible difference. (once it has burned in of course)

So I have officially decided that regular old Tropic Marin is not cutting it anymore with heightened demand for calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity. Since adding the SPS I have noticed that my numbers get substantially lower in between water changes than they did before. I have all the means to dose, and I do when I have to, but I would rather the salt mix do most the work. I am in the midst of switching to Aquavitro Salinity. It has waaaaaay higher contents of "reef" type elements and cal,alk,mag etc. I have performed just one water change with the new salt and documented my results. Before the water change my parameters were as follows.

Magnesium 1280 ppm

Calcium 370 ppm

Alkalinity 7 DKH

Phosphate 0 ppm

Nitrate 0 ppm

SG 1.026

This is the next day with one 30 percent water change with Aqua Vitro

Magnesium 1310 ppm

Calcium 434 ppm

Alkalinity 9 DKH

Phosphate 0 ppm

Nitrate 0 ppm

SG 1.030<---------oops. AV mixes a little different I have learned.

I officially began dosing Aquavitro Fuel yesterday. I am going with less than recomended amounts and times due to lots of people saying its too damn much. I find it odd that it isn't sealed with anything upon purchase yet it says "refrigerate after opening" on the bottle.

I am shooting for better acro coloration. My voodoo has some die off at the base but new growth and fatter polyps everywhere else. There is one of those really big vermetid snails sliming all over that part of the base of the acro where it meets the plug. I am thinking this is causing the irritation and dead spot. If it spreads any higher and I am going to have to frag it off. Hopefully I wont have to. That snail is getting dead tonight when I get home from work.

Here is a pic of my new AOGs or whatever they are called.

019.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
they even look bad ass in the pic, so do the rest of those acans

thanks man. Three of them are very recent frags so I know in a few days they will look even better. If only I could get the gorgonian to stop sliming up it would be perfecto.

What are you getting with the aquavitro salinity at 1. O25? I have read nothing but good stuff about it. I am in the same boat as you with my sps and clam eating up cal and alk and would love to have my salt do the work for me... But I just ordered the brs 2 part and will start dosing soon. I will be following to see how the new salt works our for ya... 100 bucks for salt makes me nervous

Looking good man

What are you getting with the aquavitro salinity at 1. O25? I have read nothing but good stuff about it. I am in the same boat as you with my sps and clam eating up cal and alk and would love to have my salt do the work for me... But I just ordered the brs 2 part and will start dosing soon. I will be following to see how the new salt works our for ya... 100 bucks for salt makes me nervous

Looking good man

I am really digging the AV salt. Levels are higher for longer periods. I still use my two part for three consecutive days a week. Things are looking good though.

Holy montipora!

Lol yeah my clown likes to sleep on it. The voodoo and leather are fighting right now. Leather got burned and acro has sh!t PE.

Archived