Cultivated Reef

Topless 20k Halide BC14 Now With Reefbrite Actinics!

Formula462

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i moved the favia out of the shade today and so far so good. the heater malfunction i had last night didn't seem to cause too big of a problem.

FxCam_1295649664330.jpg

FxCam_1295649720616.jpg

qwiksilver711

do you still have the light 10 inches above the water? did you say it had a 14k bulb? I'm making a stand for my sunpod to hang from, and am wondering if you are happy with where the light was at, I was originally planning on 6 inches above the water.

Yes it is still at 10 inches. I had it at 7.5 but it was just way too hot and evaporating too fast. If it were sps dominant I would have it at about 8 inches off and run ATO and a chiller. Although I bet I could still get away with most sps anywhere I wanted with how it is currently configured. If it were a 70 watt I would have it no higher than six inches. With 150 watts on a 14, I feel I can spare the inches. Oh and yes its still 14k stock bulb. I am ordering my phoenix friday, its gonna make that Favia and these Zoas look sick! But kudos to the fishneedit bulb, I heard people dog it, but it actually looks very crisp. No yellow tinting at all.

Also note that it does does spill some light at ten inches, but in my situation its in a room that could use a little help with the lighting so its all good.

qwiksilver711

The light I bought didn't comw with a bulb shop I ordered the phoenix. I may have to rethink my hanging arm design to accommodate the light to be ten inches up, I designed for six, but I think I could make ten work

Put it at eight with option for ten. The phoenix is crazy blue so it might not look too saturated at that low height. As long as heat is no issue eight inches should be fine. Its just gonna get alot hotter in the summer here in dfw

qwiksilver711
Put it at eight with option for ten. The phoenix is crazy blue so it might not look too saturated at that low height. As long as heat is no issue eight inches should be fine. Its just gonna get alot hotter in the summer here in dfw

What I plan on doing is cutting a 10ft piece of conduit in half, and bending it so 14.5 inches of it is over the tank, and punch a few holes in it so i can move the light back and forth if i need, but then on the back of my stand, which is not the bc stand, its one that is at sitting level with the couch, I will put a pipe clamp for each piece of conduit. What I think that will let me do is if I need to raise it up I can put like pieces of 2x4 cut to various lengths so that its easily adjustable. I ordered this hanging kit which I think I should be able to make work with the sunpod that I bought. The light, bulb, and hanging kit are all shipping from seperate places, through fedex, ups, and usps respectively, so now i'm just playing the waiting game.

What I plan on doing is cutting a 10ft piece of conduit in half, and bending it so 14.5 inches of it is over the tank, and punch a few holes in it so i can move the light back and forth if i need, but then on the back of my stand, which is not the bc stand, its one that is at sitting level with the couch, I will put a pipe clamp for each piece of conduit. What I think that will let me do is if I need to raise it up I can put like pieces of 2x4 cut to various lengths so that its easily adjustable. I ordered this hanging kit which I think I should be able to make work with the sunpod that I bought. The light, bulb, and hanging kit are all shipping from seperate places, through fedex, ups, and usps respectively, so now i'm just playing the waiting game.

Sounds like you got it figured out. I can't wait to get the phoenix.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a pic of my 3rd gen leather toadstool. It started out a PERFECT shaped mushroom about three years ago as a freebee from my old boss. When I had my dino problem and lost most of my old tank, this guy just developed some kind of necrosis. He pinched and folded up all kinds of funny and started rotting in some areas. He has been chopped up every which kind of way to save him and is still ticking today. He loves the halide as well.

pete276.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

my buddy came over to hang out and hit some baseballs today. told me he had a surprise for me. at first i thought it might be something gay and i got scareded, but alas it was an ORA Ocellaris as well as a Phoenix 14K. it looks so damn awesome! the yellow centers in the zoas up above pop like crazy, and my favia looks insane. i will post some pics of the light on tomorrow when i get home from work, but i will snap a night time pic of my new, still unnamed little clown.

So I am finally putting up some more pics of the tank with the new Phoenix bulb and my modified scape. I absolutely hated the way it looked before. Also, I need a mod to move this to Members Aquariums if possible. I doubt a mod will even read this, but if you do, it would be much appreciated. I am moving very slowly on this tank because I am going back to college now (finally decided to use my brain) and money is a little tighter.

tank224-1.jpg

tank224-2.jpg

tank224-3.jpg

I would like some opinions on the rock scape that I currently have. It looked like total crap at first for sure. All those pictures I have up in the first pages look like garbage but I think this way is a lot better. Specifically, I would like to hear some suggestions on what I should do with that favia I have plopped in the middle of my setup.

I would like some opinions on the rock scape that I currently have. It looked like total crap at first for sure. All those pictures I have up in the first pages look like garbage but I think this way is a lot better. Specifically, I would like to hear some suggestions on what I should do with that favia I have plopped in the middle of my setup.

well it all kinda depends on what kind of scape you like more; cavey, pillars, etc...and go from there. everything is looking good so far that is for sure. just move, rotate, stack and possibly add some rocks and your good to go. put the favia on the front sandbed till you get your rocks figured out too. hth

I was originally going for the "look" that shallow tanks have with the low rock profiles coming from the sand. I realized that look won't work in this application so that's why I built up the rock work with some caves and overhangs. That way it added some much needed depth. I will move the favia to the front of the tank as well. I have a friend in Ft. Worth that has two of my small zoa colonies from my other tank. I need to go pick them up.

First of all - cute clown. I just had to say that. :)

Now, regarding your rockscape, I do like the depth you've created with some rocks coming forward. I'm assuming you left some space there in the middle too. The only thing my eye keeps wishing for is a bit of variety in the height by the back. Things seem to similar back there at the moment. But other than that, it looks nice.

I agree. I am thinking of moving that toadstool higher to add some level changes. I just got a new frogspawn and clown goby though, so I am gonna leave it alone for a week and let everything settle in. I have never had a clown goby before this one. What a funny little fish.

And yes, there is a big open space in the middle. The frogspawn currently resides there.

• 2 months later...

Archived