Cultivated Reef

***Jojoe's 14g Biocube w/ LEDS***

jojoe972

So my tank is about a year old at the end of January and I finally took pictures of my tank to get a tank build going. I apologize in advance for the picture quality of the photos but im hoping to get a camera to get better ones up here soon.

So here are the details to my tank.

14-15 lbs of liverock

FISH: Ocellaris Clown and Orchid Dottyback

INVERTS: Porcelain Crab, Crocea Clam, 2 Nerites, 1 Astrea, 1 Tronchus, 1 Cerith, 1 SuperTonga, 3 Hermits, and Stomalla Hitchhikers

CORALS: Frogspawn, Red/Green Blasto, Superman Mushrooms. Watermelon Mushrooms, Blue/Purple Mushrooms, Purple/Orange Ricordia, Neon Trumpet, Purple/Blue Trumpet, Dragon Eye Zoas, 2 Unknown Zoas, Blue Organism Zoas, Purple Death Palys, Psychedelic Favia, Tri-Color Acro, and a Pink Lemonade Acro

MODS: EvoPico1200 in the third chamber, 2 50x50x10 fans, StevieT's MediaBasket (Filter Floss then the Refugium) and 12 LED's.

FTS 1-25-12

post-51427-1327589801_thumb.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
qwiksilver711

Nice tank. Every day I am becoming more a fan of the black sand, almost enough that I am tempted to switch my sand out for black sand.

More pictures

Nice tank. Every day I am becoming more a fan of the black sand, almost enough that I am tempted to switch my sand out for black sand.

Thanks I like it and also like how the grain size is larger so if there is alot of flow I dont have a sand storm!

post-51427-1294601202_thumb.jpg

post-51427-1294601218_thumb.jpg

post-51427-1294601251_thumb.jpg

Aha! So here is where your tank thread has been hiding! You should make a link to it on your signature so that more people will find their way here. :)

Looks nice so far. Do you have any details on the kinds of LEDs you installed?

Also, so jealous. I love clams and yours looks quite nice and colorful too. I won't be able to get one until I get the proper lighting over my tank, but that's pretty far down the line still.

Yea it likes to hide....I know I need to add that sig today.

The clam looks nice on the pictures but I moved it back down so I lost a little color. I need to get another rock so I can prop it up higher in my tank. I like it in the middle of the tank then on the sand.

I went through rapidleds.com. Just purchased 6 white 3 watt crees and 6 blue 3 watt crees. Ordered the heatsink from nanotuners because rapidled did not have one made for the 14g biocube. If you have anymore questions about them just. Made a decision on your return pump yet?

Oooh. You did a DIY project. Brave man. Are you satisfied with the colors? I was reading something somewhere about adding a purple LED and I want to follow up on it to see how it would change the spectrum (meh, I don't even know if that's the correct term but you know, the color of the light output in general).

I haven't made a final decision. I was hoping to today and just get that order in. But I'm still leaning towards the Pico Evo. You haven't had any algae problems in that vinyl tubing, have you? I read somewhere that clear tubing can get algae in it, but then again the chambers are in the back and might not really be getting light.

Well I ordered everything but I had a buddy of mine wire it. So not really a DIY project. I was afraid if I did it myself I would screw up the wiring. I was going to just have nanotuners do it but first there kits are expensive and second I would have to wait awhile.

I really dont have an algae issue in the tube. Just the normal build up that comes from saltwater. You just have to throw it in a mix of vinegar and water when you clean your powerhead every few months..... no biggie

How can you upload videos? anyone know?

Upload your video to Youtube, vimeo or whatever video hosting site you would like. Then post the link to the video they provide here on Nano-reef.

Upload your video to Youtube, vimeo or whatever video hosting site you would like. Then post the link to the video they provide here on Nano-reef.

you are a genius!!! I will try one of them tonight so I can post a video of percy (my orchid dottyback)

Thanks

I like that vinegar and water tip. Thank you!

Also, I was wondering what this coral was:

post-51427-1294601251_thumb.jpg

Your welcome and its a Psychedelic Favia. I bought it at a frag swap in october with one head now it has 5 or 6

So I started to use some pellets b/c the shelf life of my frozen food is not so great. I was going to use pellets and mysis frozen. Started last week and feed pellets twice. Then today I was looking at my tank before I went to work and started to see red slime starting to form on my sand. WTF......the only thing that I have changes is the food. So I blame the pellets. Today I will be doing a water change, changing my rowa phosphate remover, my chemipure, turkey basting everything I can and sifting the sand. Will Let everyone know how it works. I will probably cut my feeding back to every two days and shortening my light cycle just in case. I will let everyone know what happens.

I went ahead and purchased a hydor koralia powerhead 425 for the time being until I have enough to get a MP10. Im still fighting some red slime so figured it wouldnt hurt to added it now for more flow.

I have to identify something but have not been able to get a picture of it. I will try to get one tonight when the lights are out with a flash light.

Maybe if I describe it someone will know.

At first I thought it was a majano anenome and tried to get rid of it with aptasia x. That did not work and the four that I had seen before have re-appeared. Now I did some research and these things only come out at night so I doubt they are majano anenomes. During the day they are no where to be found. The only way I can descibe them is that they look like a spider web with small white balls. Can't really see the mouth but it looks black or dark green. Dont know if anyone can figure this out. One resides right next to my purple mushrooms and havent affected them.

Just am wondering what they are and if I need to remove them.

Thanks in advance for any information. I will try to post picture sometime this week.

This is the thing that I was looking to get identified. Could it be majano?

I had a bunch of those in my 12 and 24 gallon tanks, they never reproduced much and only came out in the dark. Eventually they disappeared, I may have one left hiding under a rock. I don't think they are majano anemones but I am no expert. I'm pretty sure you're fine.

Nice tank by the way. Do you like the looks of the LED's? I'm trying to figure out what to upgrade my lights to on my tank.

Man I really appreciate the info. It seems that people view my thread but not many comments on questions or anything. So again I really appreciate it.

I really like the LEDS . I wanted to keep SPS but did not want to go with T-5 or metal halide b/c of the heat. Also these guys last alot longer. Everyone has there own opinions on what lighting they like but Im glad I chose LED's.

Thanks for the comment on the tank too.

Okay, so bearing in mind that I'm a complete noob at this, I went by just comparing things visually. But, perhaps a pseudocorynactis?

pseudocorynactis.jpg

What do you think? :huh:

yea I saw it and googled it. That actually looks like the guy. I guess I have the caribbean anenome that only come out at night. Now the question is do I let them grow or try to kill them.

You say your a noob but that was a perfect identification. Thanks!!!!

Dude, I was poring through a bunch of anemone photos trying to find this for ya. :)

So, that's your guy then? Awesome! Maybe see if the peeps in the ID forum agree or maybe you've seen it enough to know that we got the right name for your little guy.

I'm glad I could help in some small way. You've been so good about helping me along with my stuff. :happy:

Naw that is the guy!!!!. I appreciate it and they are small so I think I will let them be unless I see them going crazy. Maybe others have had them and can give me their experiences.

I try to help as much as I can cause I was once a noob and had to learn the hard way before I found this forum.

Thanks a bunch I owe you one!

Archived