Innovative Marine Aquariums

STSHY's 10G Nano

stshy

Hey everybody, I've been a member here for a little while and I love reading about all you tanks so I figured why not make my own. My tank isn't setup yet, probably only next weekend. Right now I'm in the process of getting everything ready, getting everything I need in equipment.

Today I got my dry rock and sand from "eco-reefer.com". I put together an aquascape that I like so tell me what you think. Theres an arch at the top left and a cave in the bottom right.

100_0092.jpg

100_0093.jpg

100_0094.jpg

100_0096.jpg

I also bought a saltwater master test kit, digital thermometer, instant ocean salt, and a coralife hydrometer for my tank.

A BIG THANKS TO Poodges for sending me over two koralia nanos, another hydor pump, some mag floats, and a few other things. Helped a lot!

Last week I build a diy stand with my father but it still needs to get painted. Thats why I'm only setting up the tank next week.

My stock plans:

1 clownfish (don't know which one yet)

1 firefish

Maybe a goby/shrimp pair

I think it looks good. Just keep in mind that you will have to either glue corals to that rock or expect the aquascape to change when you add corals that are already attached to their own rock. Just something to keep in mind. But I do really like that shape.

Aquascape looks cool. If you are considering a goby/shrimp pair, you will definitely want to put your rocks in first, then put the sand in. That way it will be more stable because the shrimp will constantly rearrange the sand.

Alright just a quick update.

I have been cleaning my rock and sand today. I went to the store to buy a 5 gallon jug of RO water and washed all of my rocks in a container. Then I dump my sand in a container and filled it with water. I dumped the dirty water out but didn't have enough water to rinse the sand again. I guess I'll have to go get some more tomorow :)

The tank should and hopefully will get setup this weekend. I'm awaiting on my stand that my dad is painting for me.

I'm excited!

Alright so I got my stand and my powerheads on Thursday =) Now I'm just waiting for my hydrometer to get everything started. Anyway, here are a few pictures.

100_0128.jpg

100_0130.jpg

100_0129.jpg

Any ideas on a CUC and when I should add them?

Looks great so far! For my cuc (in my 10g) I got 4 blue legged hermit crabs (demolished bubble, green hair, and diatoms in sand and rock) and 4 margarita snails (for green hair and diatom algae on glass/equip). Works out great

edit: on second glance, I'd recommend pointing one of the koralias towards the water surface for more oxygen exchange :)

Dude... your stand, rock scape and tank look awesome! Looks like you have lots of shelves for corals and the scape looks very stable. Awesome job.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, the water is in. The live rock is in and everything is going. The LFS said that a coral MIGHT be able to survive so he gave me a ricordea to try it out. I checked all the parameters today and here they are.

Ammonia: 0.50 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

pH: 8.0

From what I remember seeing, the pH is supposed to be higher. How can I raise it? I have pH increaser that I had for my old freshwater tank.

Here is a Fish Tank Shot.

100_0152.jpg

Tank looks awesome. Your pH is fine. It will swing a little bit with your light cycle and will be highest just before your lights turn off. You don't want to go chasing the perfect pH because you can throw some other parameters out of whack. 7.8-8.4 are generally acceptable pH readings.

That coraline covered rock isn't staying there btw. I just put it there thinking maybe it would seed all the rocks evenly faster then if I had it on the far right side :P So the LFS said I would probably get a really short cycle because nothing ever died from the rock. I transported the rock from his store to here in a container filled with water. Do the parameters look okay for the second day?

Day 8: I haven't really had the time to check the parameters all that much. I wish I would have had the time but unfortunately was gone all weekend. Anyway, here are the parameters for day number 8.

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm

Nitrite: 0.25 ppm

Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

pH: 7.8

Salinity: 1.023

I'm starting to see little brown dots on the sand. Could this be the diatom bloom?

Day 8: I haven't really had the time to check the parameters all that much. I wish I would have had the time but unfortunately was gone all weekend. Anyway, here are the parameters for day number 8.

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm

Nitrite: 0.25 ppm

Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

pH: 7.8

I'm starting to see little brown dots on the sand. Could this be the diatom bloom?

Yep, that's probably the beginning of diatoms. When your ammonia/nitrites read zero and your nitrates settle, your cycle will be done. Looks like you'll have a pretty quick cycle.

Yep, that's probably the beginning of diatoms. When your ammonia/nitrites read zero and your nitrates settle, your cycle will be done. Looks like you'll have a pretty quick cycle.

What should I do about the diatoms?

So this is day number 13 of the all exciting nano reef :) Anyway, here are the parameters today:

Does this make sense? The ammonia going back up... I haven't touched anything at all.

I discovered lots of life in the tank. A lot of worms and what seem to look like tiny snails :S The rocks and sand bed are COVERED in diatoms and are all a brownish orange color. Heres a picture:

100_0156.jpg

Tell me what you think... How its going and if anything should be done. Thanks

So this is day number 13 of the all exciting nano reef :) Anyway, here are the parameters today:

Does this make sense? The ammonia going back up... I haven't touched anything at all.

I discovered lots of life in the tank. A lot of worms and what seem to look like tiny snails :S The rocks and sand bed are COVERED in diatoms and are all a brownish orange color. Heres a picture:

100_0156.jpg

Tell me what you think... How its going and if anything should be done. Thanks

check it again in a few wks. it should be ready by then. =)

Also when I check the nitrites, it says to shake the tube vigorously for 1 minute. When i'm done, half of it has leaked out of the tube. Can this affect anything?

• 1 month later...

Dude, nice work! I'm really really diggin the aquascape!!!

Are you using API test kits? I think you're shaking a bit too hard if you're losing 1/2 of the solution! Capping the tube and inverting back and forth is better than shaking it up and down.

Archived