Top Shelf Aquatics

Best size tank for my situation

realhiphop

Before starting up my reef tank, there are a few main concerns before starting up:

1. I go away to school, so at the end of the year I'll be moving everything back with me to my house

2. I'm a college student so money is somewhat limited

3. Space is limited

4. I want the option to do some nice aquascaping with some corals and fish, but I don't need the biggest nano-reef

What would you guys recommend as far as tank size, I was leaning towards a 20L, but now the more I think about it, it might be a little too big for my room. Now I'm beginning to consider a 10G. Maybe, a 20 H tank, or 15G ?what do you guys think?

NaNO ReeFiN

Considering you'll be moving this tank, it might be hard to transfer things in a large nano.. 10 gal. sounds good, how about a 7 gal. bowfront...

would it be possible to move things in a 20 gallon, or would it be too hard? Do you have a preference between a 20 H or 20 L?

NaNO ReeFiN

Well.. the larger the tank, the harder it'll probably be to take it all down and set it back up. We had a thread in the past about which would you want.. 20H or 20L? The forum was basically split 50/50, I chose the 20L though.

you probably would wan't to do like a 7 gallon. when it comes time to move, just fill a 5 gallon bucket with water from the tank, put the rock and corals in and the fish in the bucket or a seperated container. it would be a hell of alot easier than a 20 gallon.

what kind of a move are we talking about? my drive home from college was an overnight affair - hell of a road trip at that.

I have a 7 gallon and the thought of moving it when the baby is born is keeping me from adding anything (including a hang on refugium) until the wife and I decide where the tank will go.

Christopher Marks

Anything larger than 10 gallons is going to fairly difficult to move. With a 10 gal or less, you can just move everything into two 5 gallon buckets and you're good to go.

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you.

i've decided to go for a 10gal.

the 7gal bowfront was really nice looking, exept it was in acrylic, and was costing like 40$ (ecplise ?)

the one that was in glass, was about 70$

and an empty 10 gal tank, was 12$ ;)

theres only 3 gal of difference between the 7 and the 10, but it's an ~40% increase...

it gives a more stable tank.

-Shadow

they are having a sell at my LFS ..10 gallon tank for $6.00~~~!!!

i bought 4 of them just the the hell with it..i can use it for storage or whatever..i am current using one that is drilled with an overflow as my refugium fo rmy 55 gallon..one for the goldfish that i feed to my Mantis Shrimp..one for all my dosing chemicals and fish food..and the other one is just sitting there..hahahahah

they had probably about 100 of them there in the store... i am thinking about going back to get more...and they are selling 50 gallon glass tank with glass top and light hood..(without lights) for $39!!!

but regarding to this thread..i would get a 7 gallone bowfront!!! it is an awsome looking tank..i had an Alife 7..i love it..but had to sell it to LadyAmanda cuz i bought new and bigger tanks... it was so easy when she came over to pick up the tank..everything fit in plastic bags and the water in a 5 gallon bottle... and its light weight too!

yes it does cost alittle more..but think abou tit..you will get 32W of Power Compact lighting built in with fan, a back comartment filter with an exisiting powerhead...and if you can find it..they are around $120-$150..it is well worth it...i also know another brand..but forgot the name..they sell a 15 gallon tall with 2x18W PC lighting and tank only for $110...

if you buy everythign seperately...10 gallon tank $ 10-$15, 32W PC lighting JBJ ~$60-$100, Rio 90 powerhead ($15-20) it will come out more...why not just buy one that is already set up for you so you don't have to worry about it?

just a though

Well I do love my Alife 7, but I think if I was looking for an easy to move tank, and I was starting again, I'd probably get one of Chris' Refugium tanks, 7.5 gal for $215 complete w/ lights, canopy, etc.

But....I'd love a mandrian goby, but to do it, I'd need a refugium, or a larger tank to make sure the critter didn't starve, plus I'd love to be able to grow all the marco algie somewhere besides my main tank...

I've already decided my next tank will be one of Chris' 15 gallon tanks tho...:)

Archived