Top Shelf Aquatics

14g biocube display powerhead

jojoe972

It does but it does poorly pumping water up. So if it was in your display it would pump 300. Now im guessing it does 230 but that is just an estimate. No concrete evidence but it is much better than the stock pump and quiet. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Thks joe for you input

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea less wattage and heat was why I chose it.

I have to say that I had my powerhead fully submerged under water the whole time and it still created bubbles. No clue.....

Yea I want to get a MP10 just becuase I have SPS in my tank and I dont want them to grow up scrawny from lack of flow. When I have enough money I will go out and grab one.

good luck with koralia

Are micro bubbles a bad thing? I have read mixed reviews about miro bubbles. Nothing really negative though. So why do people fuss about them? I have them in my tank and they don't seem to bother me. They do oxygenate the water and look kool on large snails.LOL

it just pisses me off when I see them fly out of the return nozzle. My tank looks crystal clear then wham bubbles everywhere. That's why I dont like it, lol.

Got it, I could see how that could annoy someone. At fist , I didn't like them and I was like, WTF, all of a sudden bubbles. I could not fix it so I left it alone. Now it does't bother me anymore. Maybe it will not happen with my hydor pump( if I ever get it). I checked the tracking and it says it's sitting in edison NJ. I live in Manalapan, NJ with a Englishtown zip( don't ask) which is about 14 miles away. It should be here by tomorrow , I hope.

I hope you like the pico that you get. Let me know what you think when you snag that little guy from the delivery person.

OK , Joe , got it yesterday. Here's MHO: Connected it the same way the biocube pump was. That is, the elbow is still there and I have a Hydor FLO ROTATING WAVE MAKER attached. I really don't see that much of a difference. I mean the wave maker is turning a little faster. But, when the wave maker turns to the top of the tank it doesnt break the water any different. Also the Hydor pump IMO is a little louder than the biocube one. Also, Thee biocube looks like it's built better. IMO I think the biocube pump(although only out puts 135GPH ) is better at forcing the water up the tube than the Hydor( which is rated 300GPH)I'm going to go to petco and get a foot of 1/2 inch tubing and get ride of the elbow. Also, to be fair, I did not clean the wave maker yet. It's going to be a month since I bought it.Don't get me wrong, I love the hydor pump, I just hope its that elbow that is slowing down the water flow.I might just use the Hydor with the wavemaker connected as a power head/ pump and put back the old biocube pump if things don't work out.

I have been told that the wavemaker does not work great on it .So I would not use it with the pump in chamber 3. If used in the display it would be fine together. Also I took the red flow tab off and put the suction cup on the powerhead and placed it at the bottom of chamber 3. Its silent now but let me know what works for you.

Augustus, I hope you post what happens once you get the 1/2" tubing. I'm also very interested in what you find out. :)

So here is what I did( and it pumps a lot better) First I went to petco and got a 13" long 5/8 piece of tubing ( I did say I was going to get 1/2" but they didn't have it). I just took off the adapter( for the hydor pump) and connected the 5/8' tubing directly to the pump and then directly to the out take( without the elbow). I removed the elbow. I still have the wave maker attached but it is spinning twice as fast! The water is being agitated more. I noticed a big difference. My logic was that water moves upwards faster with out any restrictions. The adapter to 1/2" and then to the elbow was restricting to water. You would think smaller tubing then less water , faster movement ,right? Not so because the water is being pumped upward against gravity . To make matters worse I was restricting the water with the original 1/2" tube and elbow.

So here is what I did( and it pumps a lot better) First I went to petco and got a 13" long 5/8 piece of tubing ( I did say I was going to get 1/2" but they didn't have it). I just took off the adapter( for the hydor pump) and connected the 5/8' tubing directly to the pump and then directly to the out take( with out the elbow). I removed the elbo. I still have the wave maker attached but it is spinning twice as fast! The water is being agitated more. I noticed a big difference. My logic was that water moves upwards faster with out any restrictions. The adapter to 1/2" and then to the elbow was restricting to water. You would think smaller tubing then less water , faster movement ,right? Not so because the water is being pumped upward against gravity . To make matters worse I was restricting the water with the original 1/2" tube and elbow. Get it.

Oh, BTW, no more noise, and I pulled that red flow adjuster off. Getting my Popeye arms into the freaking chamber was a b###h. I cut my arm all up.

Here is pic of work done. The only thing is that the fatter tubing forced the pump to turn diagonally but , I don't care about that.

post-58667-1295199034_thumb.jpg

Augustus, thanks for the info and the pics! So, better flow and no noise was the result. Awesome! Also, that pic was very helpful. I'm just sorry your arm got cut up by installing this. Closing in on my decision now. :D

Im glad it worked for you I would have felt bad if you wasted your money on it.

I didnt think about smaller tubing and it restricting it more. I might have to go out and grab a piece of 5/8th to fix that.

Trust me I know what you mean about the scratches on your arms.

My arms are small. Let's hope that's enough to avoid scratches when it's my turn since I decided on the Hydor Pico Evo 1200 finally! omgomgomg

Yeah, now the only thing holding me back is (of all things) power strips and GFCI and all that. :unsure:

I thought I was all set getting the Shockbuster, but then I realized I need more than just 5 outlets. Boo.

So, Jojoe - MP10 time?

So, Jojoe - MP10 time?

You will probably be fine with the chambers in the back then. It doesnt really hurt just looks ugly when you get them.

Not anytime soon for that. I have to go to New York and New Mexico in the next 2 months so have no money for that as of right now. Hopefully by the summer or end of summer I will.

My arms are small. Let's hope that's enough to avoid scratches when it's my turn since I decided on the Hydor Pico Evo 1200 finally! omgomgomg

Yeah, now the only thing holding me back is (of all things) power strips and GFCI and all that. :unsure:

I thought I was all set getting the Shockbuster, but then I realized I need more than just 5 outlets. Boo.

So, Jojoe - MP10 time?

I used 2 surge protectors. (they areGFCI) that were laying around with 3 separate grounded timmers I got at walmart for $5 each so that my lights go on to simulate day.

Speaking of chambers. In chamber 1 there is a false bottom. I would love to take that out but it is siliconed in. Any ideas? Remember it's a full tank. I want to drop my heater all the way down to the bottom of chamber one. Right now I have the biocube skimmer in chamber 1 so my stealth heater is on the left side of my display and will not fit with both in. Chamber 2 ,I still have bioballs. They are not raising my nitrates so I am not concerned plus I love the waterfall noise it makes when I look at tank. It also oxyginates the water hence more area per fish, as well, IMHO. Chamber 3 is really a waste because if I fill it to the top then so goes my use of bioballs/ oxygination in chamber 2. ( Sorry to go off the subject)

Speaking of chambers. In chamber 1 there is a false bottom. I would love to take that out but it is siliconed in. Any ideas? Remember it's a full tank. I want to drop my heater all the way down to the bottom of chamber one. Right now I have the biocube skimmer in chamber 1 so my stealth heater is on the left side of my display and will not fit with both in.

I just broke mine in half and pulled out the pieces. I figured if I ever need another one I could order it from Oceanic.

You should be able to push down on one of the corners with a screwdriver. Takes some force but the silicone should give way. I'd wear some gloves if I were you....tank took a little skin off the ol' knuckles when it finally gave way.

You should be able to push down on one of the corners with a screwdriver. Takes some force but the silicone should give way. I'd wear some gloves if I were you....tank took a little skin off the ol' knuckles when it finally gave way.

Jesus, you guys are scaring me. What if it does give too much way and cracks the glass.LOL

it will be fine!

I will try again this weekend. I could do so much more with that false floor gone.

it will be fine!

I will try again this weekend. I could do so much more with that false floor gone.

Archived