inTank Media Baskets

14g biocube display powerhead

jojoe972

oh I c..... I am kind of leaning towards the votech mp10 b/c I have SPS. Also I do not have the fine sand on the bottom of my tank. Have a larger grain black sand. Almost looks like fresh water gravel... forgot the name of the sand I picked up from the LFS when I started. So I am not too concerned with the flow. I jsut wont be able to get it anytime soon.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 2 korailia 425's in the display. One on the front right corner and one tucked away behind the rock between the intakes on the back wall (it is still easily accessible for maintenance with the removal of one rock)

I think/ hope they will provide adequate flow for SPS, as I intend on stocking them. Right now during the cycle I have them both on full tilt but will experiment with timers once some corals are in.

IMG_0910.jpg

I run 1 x koralia 425 in my bc14 with sps doing good so far. When I find the mp10 for a good price im sure I'll grab one for the coolness of them not because I need one.

Joe I'm waiting for my hydor 1200 . Should be coming any day now. Does it realy pump 300gph? I mean if it does 230gph I would be satisfied. I have the stock pump for the biocube 14 with the hydor wavemaker attached. VERY SLOW. I had picked up the biocube cirulation pump and I didn't like it. It was way too big for the tank (a bit of a distraction) and way too powerful so I returned it. Right now Im managing on the stock( until 1200 comes) with candy coral, shrooms, zoas, and polyps

It does but it does poorly pumping water up. So if it was in your display it would pump 300. Now im guessing it does 230 but that is just an estimate. No concrete evidence but it is much better than the stock pump and quiet. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Jojoe - I've been reading this thread since I have to pick up a powerhead and a pump for my new Biocube 14 as well. Here's a question for you though. I'm leaning towards the Hydor Pico Evo 1200 to replace my stock pump, although now I'm a little concerned since you said it does poorly pumping water up. Does it fit easily in the third chamber? I know that with the Maxi-Jet 900, people seem to have to place it at an angle. I was hoping the Hydor 1200 would be a much better fit within the chamber. How about installation? Was it easy? Did you have to do anything special to make it work (cut tubes, etc.)?

Thanks!

qwiksilver711
Jojoe - I've been reading this thread since I have to pick up a powerhead and a pump for my new Biocube 14 as well. Here's a question for you though. I'm leaning towards the Hydor Pico Evo 1200 to replace my stock pump, although now I'm a little concerned since you said it does poorly pumping water up. Does it fit easily in the third chamber? I know that with the Maxi-Jet 900, people seem to have to place it at an angle. I was hoping the Hydor 1200 would be a much better fit within the chamber. How about installation? Was it easy? Did you have to do anything special to make it work (cut tubes, etc.)?

Thanks!

I've got the maxi jet 900 in my bc14, and it fits fine, and as far as i remember (it was several years ago) i didnt have to cut any tubes or anything to make it fit

I've got the maxi jet 900 in my bc14, and it fits fine, and as far as i remember (it was several years ago) i didnt have to cut any tubes or anything to make it fit

Is that the regular Maxi-jet 900 pump/powerhead or the one that's a "utility pump" (the one that looks quite similar in shape to the stock pump)? When I was doing searches here I saw photos of the Maxi-jet 900 unit in the bottom of the chamber sort of diagonally and I was trying to avoid that if at all possible.

qwiksilver711
Is that the regular Maxi-jet 900 pump/powerhead or the one that's a "utility pump" (the one that looks quite similar in shape to the stock pump)? When I was doing searches here I saw photos of the Maxi-jet 900 unit in the bottom of the chamber sort of diagonally and I was trying to avoid that if at all possible.

its the one that is the utility pump, that looks like the stock pump

its the one that is the utility pump, that looks like the stock pump

Thanks so much! That's good to know. I hope Jojoe sees this and gives me his thoughts on his Pico 1200 as well.

the 1200 is very small and fits perfect in the chamber. Only mod is taking the 90 degree off and the tubing and fitting a 5/8 from the pump to the outake into the display tank. I used a 1/2 and wedged it on the pump and outake. Liked it better than the 5/8th tubing.

the 1200 is very small and fits perfect in the chamber. Only mod is taking the 90 degree off and the tubing and fitting a 5/8 from the pump to the outake into the display tank. I used a 1/2 and wedged it on the pump and outake. Liked it better than the 5/8th tubing.

I'm still very, very new to all this, so please be patient with the newbie. :lol:

So you would need both 1/2 (inch?) and 5/8 tubing? Or are you saying you ended up just using the 1/2 tubing? And where could I buy tubing? Is this the clear "vinyl tubing"?

No problem rain. The outlet is 5/8th tubing but I did not like the thickness of this tubing so I opted to use 1/2 tubing b/c the thickness is less. I did have to heat up the tubing and wedge it onto the powerhead and out take. This is the clear vinyl tubing. The cheapest place to get it is at home depot or lowe's. you can always go to your LFS but probably a little more per foot. Let me know if you have any other questions.

No problem rain. The outlet is 5/8th tubing but I did not like the thickness of this tubing so I opted to use 1/2 tubing b/c the thickness is less. I did have to heat up the tubing and wedge it onto the powerhead and out take. This is the clear vinyl tubing. The cheapest place to get it is at home depot or lowe's. you can always go to your LFS but probably a little more per foot. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks. This helps a lot. One last thing (I hope) - what's the reason for taking out the 90 degree piece?

since the pump doesnt do well with pumping water up the 90 degree will also cause some loss in gph. you can try it with it on and see how you like it and then try it without to see which one you like better. Also there is a flow adjustment on these pumps I took mine completely off so its wide open.

since the pump doesnt do well with pumping water up the 90 degree will also cause some loss in gph. you can try it with it on and see how you like it and then try it without to see which one you like better. Also there is a flow adjustment on these pumps I took mine completely off so its wide open.

Once again, thanks! This will help me decide which one to get. :happy:

no problem let me know how it goes and what you choose. If you were close by I would sell you a maxi 900 cheap b/c I dont need it and used it only once.

no problem let me know how it goes and what you choose. If you were close by I would sell you a maxi 900 cheap b/c I dont need it and used it only once.

Okay now that makes me curious. Was that supposed to be the one that replaced your stock pump and you decided on the Pico 1200 instead? If that was the case, why the switch?

Yes it was the one that was going to replace the stock pump. It does have more flow but it's loud and does not sit flush in my tank. Also I kept getting micro bubbles with it every now and again. have no clue why it did it. Others love this pump in their tank and I would too if it wasnt for the noise and the occasional micro bubbles.

The not sitting flush inside the chamber was my issue with the Maxi-jet 900 too. I wonder how much less flow the Hydro Pico 1200 has? I liked the fact that the 1200 has less wattage and hopefully "runs cooler" (I'm thinking every bit might help me in the summer).

I had tiny little bubbles for a bit when I was leak testing my tank. I added more water to the back chambers, wiped the bubbles off and see if any new ones formed. So far that did the trick.

So you decided on an MP-10, huh? Very nice. I have my eye on a Koralia Nano 425. We'll see how that goes.

Yea less wattage and heat was why I chose it.

I have to say that I had my powerhead fully submerged under water the whole time and it still created bubbles. No clue.....

Yea I want to get a MP10 just becuase I have SPS in my tank and I dont want them to grow up scrawny from lack of flow. When I have enough money I will go out and grab one.

good luck with koralia

I have to say that I had my powerhead fully submerged under water the whole time and it still created bubbles. No clue.....

It wasn't the powerhead that was the deal there, I think. I read somewhere on here that it was from air that gets I don't know, drawn in somehow from that mini waterfall between chamber 1 and 2 and chopped up by the impeller. So I went ahead and filled chamber 2 and 3 pretty much full and it worked for me (not that it's an issue for you anymore :lol: ).

mine is almost all the way up but I do not have the sponge between chamber 2 and 3 so that could be a factor and naw dont have to worry anymore.

Archived