Cultivated Reef

14g biocube display powerhead

jojoe972

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dont break anything :P

Add another scape on my right thumb. I couldn't wait till the weekend. I loosened the false bottom with screwdriver and then took a wire hanger and mad a small hook that fitted into one of the slots , pulling it up till it came out. To my surprise, nothing is leaking. Fish tank got all F@#ked up from tank debris though. So I decide to clean the tank that day. This morning, the tank looks beautiful. Yea, no more looking at the heater.

That's it. I'm fishing out that false floor while the tank is still dry. I am STILL hoping that my smaller hands will mean less scrapes for me. We'll see though. :huh:

I noticed even more water flow now that the false floor is out. I could tell by the pushed up sand.That never happen before. Awesome.

What kind of skimmer did you get?

No, its the biocube skimmer. Got it on sale for 27.99. It works. You have to get a better adjustment valve though. Keep the bubbles at the top ofthe tube( not the collection top cup ). For what little tank I have with min. stock it's fine. Some green yellowish stuff comes out. If you have a heavily stocked tank I'd go with on of those mini skimmers that are driven with a motor pump like the Aquatic Life Internal Mini Skimmer 115 Protein Skimmer . To me all skimmers work the same way, that is, the bubbles collect the unused garbadge on their surface and when they pop the gunk is collected in the cup. Now some work better at that process but, for my situation the biocuge skimmer works fine.

I heard random things a out how people like and dislike the skimmer....I gave it a shot and purchased its from my lfs and its actually pulling out some nasty junk. So I would have to say I have posotive results. It took some adjusting but I think I have it working well now

I dont like that skimmer.... upgraded the stone and pump and still thought it was a waste. Im glad you like though.
I dont like that skimmer.... upgraded the stone and pump and still thought it was a waste. Im glad you like though.

LOL, I thought the same thing at first with the skimmer but it's all about those bubbles. You said you up graded the pump and airstone. Why? The airstone has to be that wood one. Because the wood aerator actualy produces the finer bubbles need for this type of skimmer. The pump too, is just the right size although , a larger or quiter one would'nt hurt . That adjustment valve definatly doesn't work. I recommend replacing that and trying it again with a wooden aerator attached to the first chamber and see how it goes. Get those bubbles to foam just at the rim of the skimmer (not the rim inside the collection cup) It will work Joe. Also were you using carbon with the skimmer? If you use the carbon with the skimmer , your not going to really notice a difference because carbon and skimmer almost do the same thing.( Its counter productive. Sort of like cleaning on top of cleaning) Its chemmical filtration. So try no carbon when using the skimmer.If your getting just water in the cup then your bubbles are too high. Try it again before you go out and buy another skimmer. With out the carbon this time. And tell us how it goes. The skimmer cut my water changes down to once every other week and a half. I used to make changes every week. So it does save time and money in the long run. Plus, I think the pump ( that came with the skimmer) only uses 2 watts.

dont have that guy any longer..... oh well. If I do I will try your method and I wasnt running carbon. I purchased a better wood airstone then the biocube comes with.

dont have that guy any longer..... oh well. If I do I will try your method and I wasnt running carbon. I purchased a better wood airstone then the biocube comes with.

Yes , the red sea wood airstone does work better. I purchased mine at petco. 3 for $9.

Archived