inTank Media Baskets

Help! My first nano!

mimie

What I did to cure the rock was put it in a 10 gallon tank with saltwater and a powerhead. I had the tank but they are only 9 bucks at Walmart, it's always good to have an extra tank for quarintine or emergencies. I kept the water toped off and I tested the water everyday (I like to). When it reached ammonia 0 and nitrites 0 I transfered it to my other tank. No big deal, it's not complicated. :)

Originally posted by MKramer

Except the problem is that it's dropping at night, when there won't be any lights on.

Didn't have both eyes opened when I read that.

• 2 weeks later...

Mimie,

You mentioned Saltwater Paradise (which I believe is in Irving)....not sure how good they are, but I've also gotten bad info from local fish stores. Every once in while I'll go into a shop and ask a "BS" question - one I KNOW the answer to - just to see if they... 1) know the answer, or 2) BS their way out of it.

I'm in the DFW area also (Hurst) and the best store I've come across so far is in Bedford - Planet Pet. They have well over 100 corals and a slew-o-fish. They also have LR, cured or uncured - not sure of pricing, but they've got it all in water. If you buy it cured there, the little critters will be less stressed on your trip home than mail order (but you probably have your rock already).

Good luck,

Ross

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mimie,

I'm also in Dallas and ordered my LR from themarinecenter.com, as I believe you also did. I got some great rock (IMO) and the price was nice! (I bet you were a bit surprised to notice the additional $10 "packing" fee that they only mention in their FAQ section... oh well, still saved me a bundle!

I live about 3 miles from Dallas North Aquarium and I am not entirely surprised that they told you that you could keep an anemone under a 15W NO bulb in a 20g tank... the help I've received from them has been VERY mixed at best :( I get RO water from them, and that's about it these days. As ross76053 mentioned, you might want to try Planet Pet on Harwood in Bedford. Their livestock and coral selections are quite a bit better overall.

I also cured my LR in a rubbermaid container with a powerhead and everything is going great at this point. I'm still building my custom hood, so I haven't added any real corals yet, but hopefully I will be able to start doing that by the first of next week. I've done a ton of research myself, and though I'm no expert, I'd be happy to advise you where I can -so just message/email me if I can be of any assistance. Best of luck!

Archived