Innovative Marine Aquariums

[ ten gallon nano ]

flick

UPDATE

Went to my lfs, and bought...

- four margarita snails (to remove hair (and other) algae on glass)

- one 2" White Tail Pygmy Angel

The angel has been in the LFS for 3-4 weeks now, and was fed mysis (upon request) before I bought it. I realize the tanks a 10g and they should be in a bigger set up, but with a goal of an upgrade in the future (3-4 months possibly) I opted for and bought it. It's got perfect fins with no damage, has a full belly, no spots, or any signs of weakness. He's been in the tank for about 45 minutes and although he's been swimming in the strong current under the main cave he's fairly bold. I also just offered 2 peices of mysis, both of which he ate :)

ps- the snails have also started to destroy the algae issue. I'm glad I only got 4, I think anymore would have been too little for long term success (until upgrade)

Flick

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAY 24

All params are great and the fish did well overnight. Much more bold than yesterday (as figured) but it still jumps into the nearest cave when he see's any close movement to the tank. Oh well, maybe when I get a second fish he will be more confident, or as time goes on.

My snails are also doing great, however one of them seems to be "lazy". He didn't move for a few hours after I put him on the rock in the tank, then suddenly I noticed he was in another location a few hours later. I went to bed as he was resting against a rock (in the sand) and this morning he is still there. Any thoughts? The other 3 have been moving non stop and all appear in great health..

ps- pics of the angel are coming :)

Flick

Meet the angel...

FishJan20022.jpg

FishJan20015.jpg

FishJan20010.jpg

FishJan20006.jpg

FishJan20003.jpg

In the tank lighting (and when he is not under the rock cave like in these images) his tail is bright yellow and his body is flourescent navy blue. Such a quarky and yper little fish, I'm pretty happy with his purchase. He's eating like a champ btw!

Flick :)

He's purdy :wub: dwarf angels are such great little fish, the coral beauty and rusty angel I have/had have been some of my fave fish!

as for your stocking question, I would recommend against adding a second fish, especially if you want shrimp. add a pair of skunk cleaners (I like to get the little ones and watch them grow) and then focus on corals. if/when you upgrade, you can add more fish then.

Hey Brooklyngal, I also love those fish :) This guy's still doing great and eats like a champ. I'm feeding him once a day (4-5 pieces of mysis), do you think thats enough?

As far as stocking, I've read (and heard) these angels can nip at inverts, so I've decided to not purchase any shrimp and will be adding 1 small fish (mainly for colour and movement), the choice is down to either a firefish, a clown, or a yellow clown goby.

Flick

angels nipping at shrimp? never heard of that- at corals, maybe, and I could understand them taking a peck at sexy shrimp or similarly sized animals, but not so much cleaner shrimp. of the three choices, I personally think the clown goby is the best- the other three share the same swimming habits as the angel, and so it is more likely to be aggressive to them. plus, the goby is the smallest and will produce the least amount of waste. just be sue you get one that's eating!

Yikes, are they hard/picky when it comes to feeding? The place where I got this angel had a baby clown goby, super cute and *maybe* 1" long, or less. Super chill little fish, and super bright :)

DAY 29

All params are good (Nitrates were a bit high but did a WC and they have lowered, will do another soon to reduce even more) and the angel is quite happy these days. I rearranged the rock so the one on the left is mostly vertical and is resting against the back wall (with 6"+ swimming space infront) and the other is connected with some branches that I had in my HOB.

Here's an updated FTS with pics of my fish :)

Jan25042.jpg

See the angel in the middle.

Jan25041.jpg

MUCH more swimming room. Not as big of an overhang with this structure, however the angel seems to be more curious, which shocked me. He loves swimming in and around the top few branches, and is coming out in the complete open more and more :)

Jan25033.jpg

Jan25029.jpg

What do you think?

Flick

Archived