Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

[ ten gallon nano ]

flick

DAY 1

Aloha reefers! :)

It's been a while since I've posted on the forum, but I used to be a steady member often discussing my 15g tall nano and 46g bowfront reef tank. I say "reef" gently, becuase yes I had coral but it was mainly shrooms and xenia (if I remember correctly) that came on the live rock.

My 15g was SUPER basic, with hob filter, 1 maxi-jet power head, a 50w heater, 10lbs of live rock, 10lbs of aragonite sand, a ocellaris clown and chromis (plus clean up crew). My 46g was the upgrade version that held about 40lbs of live rock, 25lbs of aragonite (if I remember correctly), the same chromis, two clowns (one died later on), a shrimp, and I had a few bicolor angels. These are by far my favourite fish but even with ideal conditions they died, which is a common problem with keeping these beauties -_- The tank was also simple, with the same hob aquaclear 200, 150w heater, 2 maxi-jets, and a skimmer.

After all said and done, it's been 3 years since I've been addicted to salties, and I decided the past few weeks I must get back into it again! Plus, what a great time to start... on boxing day when Big Al's is a 10minute ride away ;) Here is what I'm thinking as far as tank specs, feel free to give me ideas and/or opinions. I'm heading out this afternoon to start this FOWLR tank, but this is what I'm thinking...

Equipment:

Tank: 10g AGA

Lighting: Stock hood with 50/50 marine bulb

Sand: Aragonite

Rock: 15-20 lbs fiji (I hope!)

Heater: 50w (or...???)

Filtration Biological will be provided by the live rock and sand

Circulation: Koralia of some sort

Livestock:

- 1-2 clowns (black or picasso preferred, maybe just false or true though)

- clean up crew (how many and what species should I get?)

- 1 pygmy angel (any ideas?)

- *maybe* a goby, I like the look of the bright yellow ones, not sure on the name though... or perhaps a wrasse of some sort (?)

... with a total fish count being 2-3 smalls!

I'm also wondering if anyone uses tap water for their salties? A pet shop I used to work at got into salt and the fish guys used 100% tap water (that they treated with some sort of chemical) and they were able to successfully keep many hardy and sensitive species with minimal deaths over the time I spent working there. Any idea what chemical can allow me to do this? I don't want a R.O unit, and being car-less, I hate getting RO water from Wal-Mart everytime I need to top up or water change lol.

As mentioned earlier, please feel free to give ideas to me, it's been a while since I've done this and although I remember a lot of the info, I do forget some things and info on exact fish species (ie, which angel would work, what clean up crew would be best, which gobies are fun and colourful, e.t.c) :)

Cheers guys!

Flick

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the tip. I ended up grabbing distilled water, with 0 minerals and all that junk. It's ozone treated, is this ok? And no, this tank will be FOWLR until I move (early May) at which point I'll probably upgrade to a bigger tank and move into coral keeping.

This is what I purchased, and have set up as of today...

10 aga 20" x 10" x 12"

two flourescent 20w bulbs

12lbs branching fiji rock

thermonitor is at 81 degrees

hydrometer (salinity is 1.0024 with instant ocean)

50w Eheim submersible heater

koralia (nano size) that pumps 240gph

20lbs live sand

The water is super cloudy right now (as expected) but I can already make out the rocks in some sections. The pieces I got are awesome, I think I'll be able to achieve my aquascaping goal of one side being heavier and one being lower, with some drop offs, hiding spaces, and an open section in the front-middle to give a sense of depth.

No pics yet, maybe in the morning once things have calmed down :)

Flick

DAY 2:

Here's the tanks first FTS, some what cloudy still but you can get the idea of my scaping :)

ps- koralia was turned off overnight to let the debris settle, I turned it back on this morning and surprisingly the tank didn't get much cloudier than this image... thank god! Hopefully it's cleared up in the next day or so, I dislike looking at a swamp lol. I've also added more water so the level is just below the tanks rim.

Current conditions:

Sal: 1.0024

Temp: 81 degrees

Going to purchase a test kit this afternoon, as well as a proper background and maybe a small AC hob to help clear the water (with sponges in the filter for a day or so, then replace with LR rubble).

Flick

post-17889-1293467908_thumb.jpg

Looks good.

The water will stay clear once you get an aquaclear. Once you get the HOB filter you should toss the sponge and use poly-fil from walmart ($3 for a huge bag). Much better for filtration.

I'm sure you meant your salinity is at 1.024, but if it is at 1.0024 that is too low. Maybe even lower the temp a tad to 79-80.

Yeah you're right... the salinity is 1.024 not 1.0024. Thanks for the temp tip, I just lowered it to be 79-80.

I don't have a car so for the hob media, since I won't be using it long term so i'll just use the sponge that it comes with to help the water clear. Then once i'm happy with aquascape placement and there won't be anymore sand disturbance, I'll remove the sponge and use rubble/algae in the compartment :)

ps- heres the majority of the iems I used... in the image below.

Flick

I've decided to look into new lighting to turn this nano into a LPS tank. Nothing hardcore with mh's or anything, but I'm looking at options to make it happen for the time being (after cycle, before I possibly upgrade to a bigger set up in the new year sometime).

This would then motivate me to keep my fish numbers down, and stick with 1-2 clowns and hope they think of hosting a coral. If not, so be it... but it would definately be cool!

Flick :)

Some pics of it all cleared up and lookin' nice :)

Ignore the flash in the reflection... this pic shows water movement and the sandy coloured rock formation quite well.

more pics...

Look closely at the rock close-up pic... do you think that's some sort of coral?

post-17889-1293508638_thumb.jpg

post-17889-1293508794_thumb.jpg

Just went to the LFS and purchased:

- API Saltwater Master Test Kit

- ordered two 50/50 pc bulbs (for stock hood)

- bought a 4" net

- picked up a Penguin BIO-Wheel 100 (hob) filter

I removed the bio-wheel and tore the filter floss off the caron package. I inserted the floss in the filter compartment as well as some live rock branches and live sand. I also re-arranged the rock scape, not sure if I like it from what I can see. Tanks pretty cloudy again but with the filter floss it's clearing up quite quickly. Will see how it turned out and readjust if I don't like it :huh:

I'm also going to test the tanks params (for the first time) and I'll update this post after Im done..

masterangler08

yea pH looks around 7.8-7.9, ammonia looks closest to 0 but maybe slightly above, nitrite looks about 0, and nitrate seems to be around 20. How long has it been going so far? Looks good though! I like the scape.

Thanks for your opinion, I really appreciate it :) We also have to keep in mind that I just re-arranged the tank, so the rock and sand debris might have released/altered the test(s).

This is only the 5th day for the tank, and to be honest I am shocked the params are as good as they are so early in the game. I have 12lbs of un-cured live rock and 20lbs of live sand in the tank, so I figured the params would be awful while the rock die-off decayed. I have noticed brown algae is forming on the rock (and some spots on the sand surface, until I disturbed it!) as well as some locations on the glass. That stuff is diatom correct?

As far as the next step, what do you guys reccommend? Should I wait a few more weeks before introducing a CUC? Should I do a water change? If so, how many gallons (this is a 10g)? Any advice would be appreciated one again, I need guidance :)

Flick

For your fish you could do the pair of clowns and maybe a goby but not the Pygmy Angel. The Bioload would be too much and the Pygmys need at least a 20 IMO.

Yeah you're right. I've decided against the angel and with one of these options...

1 clownfish (black occellaris)

1 yellow clown goby

1 six-line wrasse

or...

2 clownfish (1 black 1 occellaris)

1 six-line wrasse

Which trio do you like more? I've both seen and heard many six-lines doing well in a 10g, so with 12lbs of rock thats seriously full of caves and crannies, I think it would be happy for a few months.

Note: I plan on upgrading to a larger tank in the summer, probably a 29g or 40g breeder. Love the look of both those sized tanks.

I would not put a six-line in a 10g tank. I had one in a 34g Solana awhile back and it got aggressive towards one of my clowns. So the six-line had to go unfortunately.

I think two fish would be nice for a 10g tank. That's what I'm planning for my 10g setup. I have one Yellow Clown Goby currently in my 3g pico and when I get the 10g up and running I'm going to get a small percula clown. Three fish in a 10g tank is really pushing it, imho.

Oh, yikes. Thanks for the heads up. Thats true, and with those two bright active fish, I think i'd be happy with just the clown goby and the black (or standard) occellaris.

Can anyone help me answer this question...

"This is only the 5th day for the tank, and to be honest I am shocked the params are as good as they are so early in the game. I have 12lbs of un-cured live rock and 20lbs of live sand in the tank, so I figured the params would be awful while the rock die-off decayed. I have noticed brown algae is forming on the rock (and some spots on the sand surface, until I disturbed it!) as well as some locations on the glass. That stuff is diatom correct?

As far as the next step, what do you guys reccommend? Should I wait a few more weeks before introducing a CUC? Should I do a water change? If so, how many gallons (this is a 10g)? Any advice would be appreciated one again, I need guidance :) "

Cheers,

Flick

Here's an updated FTS, with new aquascape. Looks like crap in pics, but it much nicer in person.

and yes, I will be buying a real background for the tank. This Big Als bag is temporary, i'm not that cheap ;)

Flick

post-17889-1293762835_thumb.jpg

masterangler08

I think a black clown and a yellow clown goby would be cool...or a pair of black clowns. I would wait about a week and keep testing....if ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 and your getting diatom/algae growth, go ahead a order the CUC. Then do your first water change before adding them...probably a big one to knock the nitrates down....maybe 4-5 gallons.

Oh, and yes that is a classy background btw ;)

haha, you know it is! Are you from Canada too?

A pair of blacks would be sweet. However in such a small tank I'd want some other source of movement, ie a bright yellow fish moving between rockwork sounds very appealing. With the focal being the "funny" clownfish (no pun intended) moving in the open spaces of the tank. I think it would be good!

Thats perfect, thanks for the precise tip(s). I've got to stock up on water, so i'll purchase more bottles this week and see how the tank progresses. As far as CUC, what and how many are we thinkin'?

Cheers,

Flick

ps- I'm picking up my tank bulbs next week from the LFS. Maybe if all works out I'll pick them up then. Just me thinking out loud here.

DAY 7

Heres a FTS witout the tacky packground. I like this scape a lot and think it's the best it can get (without breaking the 8lbs piece of rock on the right).

post-17889-1293995273_thumb.jpg

post-17889-1293995446_thumb.jpg

burtbollinger

nice so far....love the rock work.

I question the stocking plans tho...10 being a little small for a pair of clowns IMO....two fish total, or you're messing up, IMO. I'd vote once perc and one yellow clown goby. no sixline...and for god sake, no angel...

From the tone of your thread, I think you need to slow down a bit as well as you relearn and recall experiences from your past reefing days. Please dont take this personal...

Also...that hood and light you have are not ideal....the spectrum is not ideal, and I think you need to be planning on an upgrade down the line.

an ro/di unit to your faucet shouldn't cost much over 100...I'd spring for that when you can.

I notice you are not testing Alkalinity. This is one of the single most vital parameters, and you need to begin testing dKH with a test kit....ensuring you are between 7-12 dKh....I run mine at 9. This is vital...so don't ignore.

Thanks burtollinger :) How come you think 2 clowns would be too much? I'm leaning towards the 1 black occellaris and 1 yellow clown goby. I want some variety, and with this tank being so small I think those two would compliment one another and give me te movement that I want in the tank.

Mmm, there's such a thing? I may look into that option as I dislike having to buy jugs and carrying them home (no vehicle).

Edit for burts edit:

I realize the tank hood is not ideal, and the tank was purchased to be a fish only system. Hence the cheap out on lighting. I've still got good amounts of diatom forming and I pre-purchased two 50/50 compacts (only 10w each, but better than these current freshie bulbs). You're right, if I do want coral I must upgrade. I'm also planning a full tank upgrade in the summer sometime, so that would be a good time to decide if I want the new (bigger) tank to be fish or reef.

Can I buy just a Alkalinity test? I bet I could, so thanks I will look into that. I've never tested it before and no one's ever mentioned the neccessity for that test. As mentioned nearlier, I need help and tips but hardly anyone seems to be assisting this experience for me which is a bummer.

ps- Nope, won't take that personal. I'm moving slightly fast (in chats, but not in actual actions) becuase so far the tanks been great with params and set-up. Everything is stable and I'm going to be doing a water change today to lower my Nitrates. I realize the tank is new and no one should rush in this hobby, but I also know that if the params aren't deathly horrible then theres no harm in planning the next stage :)

Speaking of params, just tested:

Nitrate 10-20ppm

Ammonia 0ppm

Temp 80

Salinity 1.024

Nitrite 0ppm

pH 7.8 - 7.9

Flick

burtbollinger

I wouldnt do 2 clowns in anything smaller that 14....personal opinion based on my perceived "cruelty" issues...I could be wrong...but for me 10 is a cut off point...

I like your one clown, one goby idea...

some ro/di units have faucet adaptors...worth researching. mine does...its a coralife model...but that might not be the best unit for value.

looking at your equipment photo....I'd upgrade your lights first, and hold off on the RO/Di....being that you only really need to swap out 2-3 gallons a week.

I'd also look into a hang on the back fuge or something....like a pro one like aqua medic or CPR bak pak/

finally, I'd make sure you have a place set up, a filter or whatever that you are running a bag of carbon, some GFO (to regulate phosphates).

I'm planning on finding some chaeto and placing it in my hob filter. Carbon, I had some but threw it out thinking it wasn't good/required for a salt tank. What does it do? and whats GFO stand for?

Flick

Archived