Cultivated Reef

majano species tank

briansbelle

I have a 7 gallon GEO custom made little nano tank that I'm going to do a majano anemone species tank.

I found someone local who is selling them as tulip anemones...they are really pretty green and have pink tips...remind me of watermelons. Lol!

I am going with no sand...

Since picking up my 2 first ever mini nems I have become fascinated with them...and I figure a majano species tank would be sweet!

Will update in my thread in the All in One section. ;)

Ok I'm running into issues and need help. The powerhead that is running closed loop keeps leaking...tried 2 other and still leaks... plus it makes me nervous running it like that.

So what I'm wanting to do is make a small little sump(rubbermaid). The tank is drilled,2 holes.

If I setup the sump would I need 2 pumps? The tank doesn't have an overflow, just 2 holes.

I'm either going to run a sump or cap off the holes completely...

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Awesome! I will look those up too..

So some changes with the tank plan..the GEO nano is no more...the mj on closed loop began leaking...replaced it and stfill leaking...sooooo I just setup the little 5.5 gallon I bought to use as a sump...lol

I'm needing input on a good light fixture for a 5.5 gallon tank...

Thanks!!

i had a blood red majano last year but lost it due to tank crash. it didnt multiply at all and was peaceful. really pretty

DSCN7544.jpg

Beautiful. I'm not doubting that's it's a majano, but it looks like an RBTA. I bet if it had split you could have sold a bunch of the clones for like $25 each as RBTAs. :lol:

I've been planing the same thing. I have four or so in a plastic breeder trap floating in my tank that i pulled off my liverock. Not sure which tank to use though.

northstar1357
Beautiful. I'm not doubting that's it's a majano, but it looks like an RBTA. I bet if it had split you could have sold a bunch of the clones for like $25 each as RBTAs. :lol:

No i am sure this is a majano, it was in my tank for 1 year before everything died. and it only doubled its size to about a penny.

Edited by northstar1357
No i am sure this is a majano, it was in my tank for 1 year before everything died. and it only doubled its size to about a penny.

I know it a majano but it just has the look of an RBTA. :)

And I've never had a majano in any of my tanks... they sound fun but I don't want them stinging-up my hornets. :P

Yeah that's why I'm doing a little species tank with them. I have a reef tank with some pretty high end zoas that I don't want stung. I have never had any in my tanks either, but I think they are pretty so a species tank full of them should be interesting.

Going tomorrow to get a few of them, and I'm going to feed the crap out of them to get them to multiply. Also I'm just going to order a cheap pc light.... 24 watts on a 5 gallon should give them plenty of light.

Oh and anyone know of any inverts that will be ok with them?

On another note, I looked in my main reef last nite and I have about 10 ball anemones, they are sweet...they only come out when the lights go out.... wouldn't mind a few of those in the majano tank. :)

hit the mother load.....found a local reefer with about 25+ tulip anemones on a 6.5lb rock...with lots of other cool things,sponges and such. hopefully the rock will fit in my 5.5 gallon tank.

also decided to add sand....didnt like the look of barebottom...

added in a subcurrent internal filter with overflow... it puts out enough flow and cleans the water at the same time....

pics to come soon once i get the new nems in on thursday....

Edited by briansbelle

Thanks for the reply... not wanting to go with anything too pricey... incase the nems get the munchies...plus I just sold off 6 sexies...lol

What about a cool shrimp,like a pistol type? Or what the lfs calls a purple shrimp?

Thanks!

Pistol shrimps are not that interesting to me, but if you want one PM me. I have one that is ~2.5". His goby jumped and I won't let him in my display tank anymore. Frag stealer. -_-

Thanks AM! I don't have any pics yet but will get them up tomorrow after I pick up the rock with 25+ nems on it. I also got my light today....it keeps the tank warm...lol...heater didn't kick on all day...stayed at 78 with the light on....

Pics coming soon. :)

Got the nems today...got the rock situated, took pics then my battery on my cam died. Gonna charge it then upload pics tomorrow...I'm exhausted! Been really busy today...going to sleep. ;)

• 3 weeks later...