Cultivated Reef

Orange stringy worm thing!

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

I found these things today when I vact out some detritius out of my tank this morning to preform a 5gwc out of my 30g. I've seen them hanging out of a rock and couldn't pull them out at the time. They stretch out like an octopus with many stringy hands ranging over 4" long and look like bristle worms when retracted with a bright orange color There are two of them in the baby food jar here.

pestthing002.jpg

closer look at them (they are still closed up after being moved for pic)

pestthing001.jpg

Anybody know what they are, if they are reef safe or considered a pest. I would like to keep them since they look nice and bright but that usually means not good right.

gulfsurfer101

Awsome guys, thanks. I will be tossing one in each of my tanks then. MikeTR that's exactly where I found these guys, under a pile of junk rubble and detritius that was forming in a dead spot of my tank. Once again thanks for the swift replies.

gulfsurfer101

Just pulled a search for these and found that what I may have is a hair worm. Looks to be harmless and preform much of the same tasks of the spaghetti worm so I will keep them. Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

Archived