Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

skunk cleaner help

killagain24

so i got a skunk cleaner shrimp yesterday and before I began acclimating it just froze up and never moved. it would also twitch occasionally. what would cause that? I also went to talk to the lfs guy I got it from and he continued to tell me it was my water parameters but didn't seem to understand I hadn't even put it in the tank nor introduced any water. I just want to know what I could do to not have this happen again.

what are your params? did you acclimate him???

amm 0ppm

nitrite 0ppm

nitrate around 5ppm

sal 1.024

temp 78

ph 8.2-8.4 roughly

and i began to acclimate but the instant he got in the bucket i was using he just froze he never met any of my tank water

Probably stress, it could have been a weak specimen. Ask the LFS how long he had it and how many died from that shipment. I have found that some LFS get inverts from suppliers that are prone to die just because of the way they are handled and shipped.

BTW, did the shrimp die?

Probably stress, it could have been a weak specimen. Ask the LFS how long he had it and how many died from that shipment. I have found that some LFS get inverts from suppliers that are prone to die just because of the way they are handled and shipped.

BTW, did the shrimp die?

well the guy at the store kept telling me how he had them for three weeks and how he had no problems with the, but he continued to tell me how he manages his store and all of his accounts with no deaths.

and the shrimp did die sadly.

well the guy at the store kept telling me how he had them for three weeks and how he had no problems with the, but he continued to tell me how he manages his store and all of his accounts with no deaths.

and the shrimp did die sadly.

no deaths in shipments ever? i find that extremely hard to believe and based on his attitude towards you about this whole situation i would find another LFS

ps. sorry about the shrimp

Did you trash it? Cleaners can have some funky behavior when shocked. IME they usually recover after a day or two. Or die. I've experienced both :P

One time I had mine take particularly poorly to a WC and both were randomly twitching / laying around the tank. One made it and was acting normal after a day or two, one didn't.

no deaths in shipments ever? i find that extremely hard to believe and based on his attitude towards you about this whole situation i would find another LFS

ps. sorry about the shrimp

I hope you realize that some LFS have the capability of going and hand picking their own live stock right?

That aside...from what you said I'm 99.9% sure that the shrimp molted some time before you bought it (within the day even) which makes it even more sensitive than normal and gives them a high mortality rate.

I learned experience first hand when I started a long time ago. Most expensive puffer meal ever.

well thanks for the advice everyone

I think im gonna try and find another lfs and probably try to pick up another one someday

im just stressed out about getting another one because it's not fun losing another $20

Archived