Cultivated Reef

Schreiba's ADA 60-F

teamschreiba

Man this tank is awesome! Maybe I'll upgrade to one someday ha. Love the layout!

Thanks!! Your tank looks great as is and you'll have more height to grow out SPS with ;)

damn this tank is ugly! Let me know if I can help you get rid of it! Keep up the good work I love the 60-F but I think I am going to now go with a custom 24 x 24 x 8 tank

Haha definitely not anytime soon :P

But thanks!! I was actually deciding between the ADA and an advanced acrylics shallow type tank. My last tank was acrylic though and it wasn't nearly as clear as the ADA and scratched so easily. Now if you could get a glass tank with those dimensions... :happy:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're still looking for lily pipes, I ordered my set off ebay from Aquatic Magic. Supposed to be pretty decent, and a great price (about $50 shipped). I'll let you know when I get mine in next week and what the quality seems to be like.

If you're still looking for lily pipes, I ordered my set off ebay from Aquatic Magic. Supposed to be pretty decent, and a great price (about $50 shipped). I'll let you know when I get mine in next week and what the quality seems to be like.

Yeah if you could let me know if they're any good that'd be great!! I really don't want to drop like >$100 on real ADA lily pipes but if those ones are no good I might do it eventually.

Awhile ago I had ordered from the website aquaticmagic.com but about a week after I ordered the website showed up in a google search as "this site may harm your computer". I never got any notice from them so I filed a paypal claim and luckily got all my money back. So hopefully their ebay store is okay!

Yeah if you could let me know if they're any good that'd be great!! I really don't want to drop like >$100 on real ADA lily pipes but if those ones are no good I might do it eventually.

Awhile ago I had ordered from the website aquaticmagic.com but about a week after I ordered the website showed up in a google search as "this site may harm your computer". I never got any notice from them so I filed a paypal claim and luckily got all my money back. So hopefully their ebay store is okay!

Yeah I had the same problem trying to access their site, apparently it was an issue with the web provider for them or something. Supposedly they're legit and actually have decent products (for the money of course, you always get what you pay for). Glass is glass though, I can't imagine them being all that horrible for at least a somewhat temporary solution. When I upgrade to a larger tank I will for sure be getting ADA pipes though.

ever consider a glass top over it to cut down on evap(i know ada and doaqua always include those cover support unit things)? But that'll kill the light a bit though.

Yeah I had the same problem trying to access their site, apparently it was an issue with the web provider for them or something. Supposedly they're legit and actually have decent products (for the money of course, you always get what you pay for). Glass is glass though, I can't imagine them being all that horrible for at least a somewhat temporary solution. When I upgrade to a larger tank I will for sure be getting ADA pipes though.

Yeah agreed. I feel like I read a thread on here once someone who bought them and said they were just okay. But anything is better than those green eheim ones right now that's for sure.

ever consider a glass top over it to cut down on evap(i know ada and doaqua always include those cover support unit things)? But that'll kill the light a bit though.

Yeah I've thought about a cover. But that's my concern is that the whole thing would be covered in water droplets and salt creep and it would block a decent amount of light. Also the top probably wouldn't fit right because of the pipes to and from the canister filter. If I was to do a cover I'd probably make my own clean mesh screen even if it was on the ugly side it wouldn't block much light. I just love how the tank looks now with no cover too even though I do worry all the time about a fish jumping...

Yeah I've thought about a cover. But that's my concern is that the whole thing would be covered in water droplets and salt creep and it would block a decent amount of light. Also the top probably wouldn't fit right because of the pipes to and from the canister filter. If I was to do a cover I'd probably make my own clean mesh screen even if it was on the ugly side it wouldn't block much light. I just love how the tank looks now with no cover too even though I do worry all the time about a fish jumping...

granted I'm using LED's, but I have a glass cover on my tank. I was up to 50% LED intensity for 2 hours a day and was still bleaching my corals with the glass top on. You'll get water droplets from the evap, but the light has to go through water anyway. I am certain that mesh blocks more light than a glass top. I'd love for someone to help me prove my theory. I just remove the glass and clean it every month or so. A little vinegar and water and you're done in 10 minutes.

granted I'm using LED's, but I have a glass cover on my tank. I was up to 50% LED intensity for 2 hours a day and was still bleaching my corals with the glass top on. You'll get water droplets from the evap, but the light has to go through water anyway. I am certain that mesh blocks more light than a glass top. I'd love for someone to help me prove my theory. I just remove the glass and clean it every month or so. A little vinegar and water and you're done in 10 minutes.

Yeah you're probably right it is just water droplets so. Do you ever think you had problems with the gas exchange since it was totally covered? And the only problem I feel like I would have is finding a glass cover that had some type of cutouts for the canister filter tubing. A glass cover would be a million times more attractive than the mesh cover though

So while I was feeding today I decided to take some top-down shots which I haven't done before. Here's a few of them :happy:

5427187978_5df9b73cd3.jpg

5427168184_43f24206e9.jpg

5426549823_35fba34e31.jpg

That last one I thought was cool because of how the yuma curled up like that. Also on the left the red bubble looking thing is a mushroom curled up too.

Nice tank and i can see you have a MKV R32 and live close to me. I have a MKV GTI BMP and I live in Leesburg. Are you on golfmkv.com/capital dubs? We may have met before.

bestsmaller.jpg

My car used to look like this before I cracked a wheel.

Nice tank and i can see you have a MKV R32 and live close to me. I have a MKV GTI BMP and I live in Leesburg. Are you on golfmkv.com/capital dubs? We may have met before.

bestsmaller.jpg

My car used to look like this before I cracked a wheel.

Thanks! And I've read stuff on golfmkv.com but I've never posted there. I keep meaning to go to one of those GTGs but I haven't had the chance since I'm down in blacksburg for 9 months out of the year and I just got the new car this summer. Your GTI looks great though. Who would have thought so many reefers would also be dubbers haha

the tank looks amazing... nice work.. I am following along...

Thanks!! Your tank is coming along great as well. I love seeing all these ADA tanks now :D

Updated original post with some pics I found on the memory card of when I was setting up the tank :D The new stand is sooo much better than that one was too

Yeah agreed. I feel like I read a thread on here once someone who bought them and said they were just okay. But anything is better than those green eheim ones right now that's for sure.

Orlando from GLA said that he's working on getting some new lily pipes coming in later this spring. They used to stock the Cal Aqua Labs lily pipes which got reviews, but has been out of stock for awhile.

On an unrelated note, are you doing anything novel for topoff? I have a 12" ADA at my office (w/ PAR38), and I'm trying to get all of the junk out of the tank. Since it's an office tank, and ATO is a must have, but I don't have any great ideas for integrating with a lily pipe/can filter system... Thoughts?

b.

Orlando from GLA said that he's working on getting some new lily pipes coming in later this spring. They used to stock the Cal Aqua Labs lily pipes which got reviews, but has been out of stock for awhile.

On an unrelated note, are you doing anything novel for topoff? I have a 12" ADA at my office (w/ PAR38), and I'm trying to get all of the junk out of the tank. Since it's an office tank, and ATO is a must have, but I don't have any great ideas for integrating with a lily pipe/can filter system... Thoughts?

b.

Yeah I was looking at some lily pipes last night on aqua forest aquarium. I almost bought the "do aqua!" ones but decided I didn't really feel like spending $100. But hopefully GLA will come out with some new ones that are inexpensive but still decent quality.

On the top-off subject, right now I'm just pouring distilled water in 2-4 times a day when I can. I actually ordered a tunze osmolator earlier in the week from marine depot. I'm hoping with the magnetic mounting system it'll be low profile enough that I can hide it in the area between my pipes and the MP10. I hope it works out but I figure if it doesn't I'll probably have a tank in the future that'll need an ATO. It should be here on Monday so I'll let you know how it goes when I set it up.

The only other idea I could think of was to find out exactly how much water is evaporating and then setup a dosing pump so that you could just run some clear tubing up to the tank. You could probably incorporate that into the canister filter plumbing somehow too so that there wouldn't be anything else running to the tank. I was worried that the evap rate could change or somehow too little or too much would be added and things could go wrong quick with how much evap I get with this tank. Hope this helps!!

Yeah I was looking at some lily pipes last night on aqua forest aquarium. I almost bought the "do aqua!" ones but decided I didn't really feel like spending $100. But hopefully GLA will come out with some new ones that are inexpensive but still decent quality.

On the top-off subject, right now I'm just pouring distilled water in 2-4 times a day when I can. I actually ordered a tunze osmolator earlier in the week from marine depot. I'm hoping with the magnetic mounting system it'll be low profile enough that I can hide it in the area between my pipes and the MP10. I hope it works out but I figure if it doesn't I'll probably have a tank in the future that'll need an ATO. It should be here on Monday so I'll let you know how it goes when I set it up.

The only other idea I could think of was to find out exactly how much water is evaporating and then setup a dosing pump so that you could just run some clear tubing up to the tank. You could probably incorporate that into the canister filter plumbing somehow too so that there wouldn't be anything else running to the tank. I was worried that the evap rate could change or somehow too little or too much would be added and things could go wrong quick with how much evap I get with this tank. Hope this helps!!

cool. right now i'm using a BRS peristaltic pump to do exactly that. i know the pump does 50mL per minute, so i have it on a timer to do 12-13 minutes a day. i've thought about using a T-joint into the filter tubing, but i don't know how much the back pressure will affect the peristaltic pump...

i'll probably be changing out the HOB for lily pipes/can filter in the next month, i'll let you know if i learn anything of interest.

at any rate, nice tank. it's good to see the popularity of the ADA tanks increase in the reef world.

b.

cool. right now i'm using a BRS peristaltic pump to do exactly that. i know the pump does 50mL per minute, so i have it on a timer to do 12-13 minutes a day. i've thought about using a T-joint into the filter tubing, but i don't know how much the back pressure will affect the peristaltic pump...

i'll probably be changing out the HOB for lily pipes/can filter in the next month, i'll let you know if i learn anything of interest.

at any rate, nice tank. it's good to see the popularity of the ADA tanks increase in the reef world.

b.

Thanks!! Yeah that's definitely one of the ideas I thought about. I'm glad to see it's working for you and let me know how it turns out. Anything to help keep the clean look of the ADA helps :D

foothill reefer

awesome tank, i am thinking about starting a 60F ADA tank myself. can you post some photos for the light? you got a very clean setup. i like to see how you setup the lights.

Archived