Top Shelf Aquatics

Schreiba's ADA 60-F

teamschreiba

teamschreiba
Teamschreiba,

I just installed a mame overflow but the suction does not work properly. The water level at the tank is always changing and there's bubbles inside of it.

In about 5 minutes of work, the water level goes really high and when it will leak, the bubbles goes off and the water level go down.

I'm using a 350 gph Syncra Silent pump. I see that you're using a 160gph eheim pump.. Do you now what could be wrong?

Thanks

Your pump may be too powerful for the MAME. The MAME is only capable of draining water at a certain rate so you have to make sure the return pump is within that limit. The only other problem I could see is that you're not getting a good siphon which I have a problem with sometimes when the MAME starts to get really dirty. Small bubbles are relatively normal with this overflow, it's just the big ones you need to watch out for.

Tank looks great man.

I've recently had my SPS woes too, i just lost two Seriatopora colonies for no apparent reason. All my other SPS seem to be doing fine but suddenly those two birdsnests started dying out after they had previously flourished.

Thanks! I feel your pain though. The blue acro, ponape birdsnest, and orange monti were some of my favorites that had done really well at times too.

I think I am going to make the switch to T5's as well. Hype has pretty much convinced me. I am not seeing the color I'd like in LED's.

Yeah I was just never that happy with my PAR38's. Like I've said previously, I'm sure my water quality then was not nearly as good as it is now but I like the coverage and color much better now with the halide/T5 combo.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
teamschreiba
looking as fantastic as always-funny how ez it is to get addicted to colored sticks, huh :happy:

Thanks! And yeah that's for sure haha :P

New March FTS:

6845215944_81a30bd964_z.jpg

LOTS of pretty obvious changes. This will be the last FTS that really resembles the others too. I plan on making some pretty big aquascaping changes soon. As you can see I have a nice SPS garden going on the right side of the tank that needs to be arranged somehow :P

My plans are to take the rock on the left and basically make it a little less than half as tall as it is now. Then I want to put the middle rock on the left side with the hammer in the back corner of the tank. The rock currently on the left will then be in the middle and almost look like a slab rock and I will arrange many of the SPS on this rock. I also have lots of acans that are not visible that I may put on the this rock.

My other option is to just break up that large rock on the left into many smaller pieces and arrange them somehow in the center of the tank. I think I have a pretty good idea of what I want it to look like but things never seem to work exactly how you plan.

Hey Schreiba,

You can always hacksaw and chisel the rock to chop it down in size. Mounting SPS in a shallow reef is always the one drawback. It was always one of the more difficult things I had to do in my shallow reef. I had a few corals that were mounted on an angle (table like) to give room for growth near the surface. I had to chop down a few rocks and place the remaining parts in the sump for added filtration. Using smaller pieces like you said works well too. You can make it work out well though.

teamschreiba
Sweet! its looking so full!

Thanks! And yeah I'm definitely starting to run out of real estate.

Hey Schreiba,

You can always hacksaw and chisel the rock to chop it down in size. Mounting SPS in a shallow reef is always the one drawback. It was always one of the more difficult things I had to do in my shallow reef. I had a few corals that were mounted on an angle (table like) to give room for growth near the surface. I had to chop down a few rocks and place the remaining parts in the sump for added filtration. Using smaller pieces like you said works well too. You can make it work out well though.

Yeah I know what you mean about mounted on an angle. Although it's hard to see, both my red planet and green slimer are mounted at an angle. I agree with the smaller pieces though, I've always thought my rocks are proportionally too big for this tank. Now I just need to get out the hammer and chisel and break up this rock :P

Now I just need to get out the hammer and chisel and break up this rock :P

dont even joke about it

they are perfect. those rocks helped you win TOTM

teamschreiba
dont even joke about it

they are perfect. those rocks helped you win TOTM

Yeah I know but I feel like my tank could look even better when rescaped. The thing that makes me very nervous is breaking up the large rock since the red planet and green slimer that are encrusted to it have been growing so well recently.

Daniel Name

Thanks for helping.

Would you please tell me the height from the pump to the overflow?

Would you mind to take a picture of the back of the overflow?

I'm still trying to figure it out on how this thing works... I've already try 3 different pumps with 3 different gph. It simple doesn't work!

I've made some movies and posted here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry3802350

Thanks!

teamschreiba
Thanks for helping.

Would you please tell me the height from the pump to the overflow?

Would you mind to take a picture of the back of the overflow?

I'm still trying to figure it out on how this thing works... I've already try 3 different pumps with 3 different gph. It simple doesn't work!

I've made some movies and posted here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry3802350

Thanks!

From the pump to the over flow is about 2.5-3ft for me. And after watching your videos I think I might be able to help...

I'm not really sure what is going on in the first video but the second one I recognize. What you can try first is putting your finger in front of the small outlet pipe. This should cause the water to start filling up the larger drain section. Doing this should cause the siphon to start, or at least it does with mine. I would try this first and let me know if that doesn't work because I might be able to give you one more suggestion. Good luck!

Daniel Name

Schreiba,

The first video shows what happen when the siphon tries to work. The water level goes down, and when it should start, it drains much bubbles, starting all over again.

I'm starting to think it's a manufaturer error.

The problem is if the power goes off, it will flood.

What's the other suggestion? :D

Thanks!

teamschreiba
Schreiba,

The first video shows what happen when the siphon tries to work. The water level goes down, and when it should start, it drains much bubbles, starting all over again.

I'm starting to think it's a manufaturer error.

The problem is if the power goes off, it will flood.

What's the other suggestion? :D

Thanks!

That does sound really strange. The only other thing I do sometime is pinch the small flexible piece of tubing that connects the inlet and outlets pipes so that the flow goes through the tubing more easily. Sometimes this helps the siphon start quicker or get the bubbles out of the larger drain pipe. Other than that I would say to keep messing around and trying different things.

Daniel Name

I lowered the drain pipe 1cm.

Now it seems to work, but if the power goes off, it will not go back as it was.

MAME recommends a 3000 l/h pump at least. I'm using a 2150 l/h.. it might be the pump.

What I can't understand is why yours runs with a weaker pump than mine.

I'll try a more powerful pump.. let's see what happens!

Thanks a lot and congratulations, your tank is very beautiful.

teamschreiba
I lowered the drain pipe 1cm.

Now it seems to work, but if the power goes off, it will not go back as it was.

MAME recommends a 3000 l/h pump at least. I'm using a 2150 l/h.. it might be the pump.

What I can't understand is why yours runs with a weaker pump than mine.

I'll try a more powerful pump.. let's see what happens!

Thanks a lot and congratulations, your tank is very beautiful.

That is really strange... Mine starts back up perfectly after a "power outage" so something must not be working with the siphon restart/recovery mechanism.

Do you have a check valve on the return line? I found that the water back-flowed through the return when I turned the pump off, and if you had the pump off long enough it could cause a problem with restarting the siphon. I would also give this a try and see if it helps.

Thanks for the compliments too, I really appreciate it!

teamschreiba

A couple new things with the tank...

I changed the carbon for the first time today because I've been having to clean the glass every day, or every other day. I also noticed a small spot of cyano so I figured it was finally time to change it. This time I added a significantly smaller amount after the first time I think I overdosed it which killed a few corals. I cleaned out my sump really well last week too and did a 5 gallon WC just as a bit of a refresher.

I was up in Connecticut this weekend visiting a friend and had to drive through NYC so I stopped at Greenwich Aquaria on the way back. Such a great store! They had a large selection of corals and some really good size colonies for a great prices (they were having a sale too). A lot of the stuff I saw there I've only seen in Divers Den so it was pretty cool to see some of that in person. I decided to pick up another mini acro colony that was pink/blue with bright blue polyps and it's doing well so far with great PE. I pretty much have no choice but to break up the large rock now simply because the right side of my tank is overcrowded with acro's :P

teamschreiba
ok if you must

I look forward to seeing what you do with it

Thanks marcelo! I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out myself. I have a good idea of what I want but it can be pretty tough to actually bring that vision to life. Congrats again on TOTM!

I was up in Connecticut this weekend visiting a friend and had to drive through NYC so I stopped at Greenwich Aquaria on the way back.

You'll have to tell Spencer7. He works there!

teamschreiba
You'll have to tell Spencer7. He works there!

I wish I had known, could have met another Nano-Reefer! I'll have to look him up though.

teamschreiba

New acro I picked up this weekend. I have it under the MAME right now for some light acclimation so that's why it seems a little dark. The polyps really do glow though and I hope it keeps its color :happy:

6897340256_1ca2323b17_z.jpg

I was up in Connecticut this weekend visiting a friend and had to drive through NYC so I stopped at Greenwich Aquaria on the way back. Such a great store!

It truly is a great store. That display tank in the back is amazing. I always enjoyed visiting when I lived in CT. At least now I have Vivid Aquarium within about the same distance. :P

The tank is looking great! As usual...

That's a nice new acro you have there as well.

teamschreiba
It truly is a great store. That display tank in the back is amazing. I always enjoyed visiting when I lived in CT. At least now I have Vivid Aquarium within about the same distance. :P

The tank is looking great! As usual...

That's a nice new acro you have there as well.

Wow that is pretty spoiled :P Some of my corals are from Vivid too, I got an online order from there about a year ago. I was pretty blown away by Greenwich's display tank as well. They seemed to just have everything there and I probably could have dropped a lot more $$$ if I had more real estate left in my tank lol.

I find the color of your tank to be just right. The water itself is not colored, yet each individual coral is bright and vivid (in its correct color). Everything pops. Sweet tank and best of luck.

teamschreiba
I find the color of your tank to be just right. The water itself is not colored, yet each individual coral is bright and vivid (in its correct color). Everything pops. Sweet tank and best of luck.

Thanks Quantum! That's really the looks I was going for too with slightly more blue than natural mainly to give the corals that extra pop. The colors have been coming out especially well recently too and I'm hoping I can show that a little better when I redo my scape.

I also have Rehype to thank for the bulb suggestions ;)

Archived