Top Shelf Aquatics

Nemesis Pico 1.5 Gallon DIY - Tankcastrophy - sprung a leaker.

Sunstar

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I happen to know a strong reefer in the ways of the force her name is PinkDamsel pm her on this site if you want a partner in pico crime she's great. has a three gallon working like a charm when you mentioned the LED build she came to mind and made some nice discoveries on acclimating pico corals to the strong, directional light that is LED.

wired and built her own setup for work, she fabricates nice looking work so your setup will be a lot like that

the anemone was my fav coral, those aren't avail down here that has me green w envy!

you can do a large water change up to 100% anytime you want, it only helps your tank. Many people just do consistent 50% changes, as long as your tank isn't too heavily bioloaded that's ok as well same means to an end. I just advocate more changes lol and type a lot thats my online schtik. nice to meet you and your personal injury says you are willing to pay a high price for pico reefing that's respectable

I would have lost money betting a pigeon would raise another bird thats really neat. shows all the old tales about human scent/rejection are likely bunk at least in that species.

Nice ot meet you too. :3

I think with c hase and the egg... chase thought I was his mate. or at least that dirty sock in the laundry pile was.... >.>

My general rule is, I have a duty to any animal within my home. I will do all that I can to ensure the creature's survival. My other rule is: if it needs help, I will get it help. I have often taken injured birds home to call rehabiliators or raised chicks myself.

I will look the pink damsel up. Just not right now, getting a migrinae and kinda desiring to retreat into darkness.

I am thinking that I will definately need to increase waterchanges to daily.

I hope to get the LED up soon as I think I am starting ot see shift in the spectrum. I think I really want buckpucks for my light, but I migth consider getting the meanwell set from rapidled.com and keep the extra parts aside for my 25 gallon when I get that going.

Just small update! my refractometer should be here tomorrow. About time I got one!!!!!!!! HYdrometer... done like dinosaurs!

Checking out the tank just now. Noticed something oddly pink in the overflow. then looked around, realised one of my mini mini nems was missing. pulled out the HOB intake and removed the silly little nem. Hope she stays on the rock with all her sisters.

Woooo brand new Refractometre in hand! I can test my salanity with accuracy now and bonus: I can use it for my wine making too. MOPS has them for 49.99 (In Canada)

Mr. Microscope
He was an amazing father.

IMG_7106.jpg

For reals? You have a pet pigeon? Awesome! Do you race them or breed them or just a pet? Is it a roller?

I adopted chase from the wild. he was a feral chick and the nest had to be removed. He was just a regular pigeon. nothing special other than my pet. And yep, very much for real. I love rundown to death.

My evening exploration of the tank revealed my hermit shell in the green mini maxi. I removed the shell. then the crab was waving it's claws frantically from the maxi. Pulled him out too. Crab and shell are re-united. I am putting the crab in a guppy trap for the time being floating in the tank for observations

the hermit seems non worse for wear right now. I dropped a pellet in with him in the observation trap. crab is moving around and has eaten most of the food and has been pooping too. Both crab and Nem seem okay. I have had this crab for most of the 2 years I have had salt water. He's not exceptionally large but sort of a favourite. I was just glad he was eager to return to his shell. Wasted NO time in going home.

I released the hermit crab from his observation last night and he is going on with life as per usual. neither nem nor hermit were damaged during the extraction. The nem did try to nom my candy cane when it fell over and inot it, but the candy cane is recovering and is glued into place. still watching the tank like a hawk after that horrible week. Adding stuff slowly. Might take some stuff out too. not sure.

Finally after almost 2 years in the salt water hobby, I finally got up and personal with a bristle worm. gaaah. I still love them though <3

Finally after almost 2 years in the salt water hobby, I finally got up and personal with a bristle worm. gaaah. I still love them though <3

You're lucky to have made it that long. In a few days your hand will heal.

I am usually extremely careful when I pick up rocks (hence the nearly two years). what happened was I had toput my hand behind my rockwork to pull out some that had fallen behind so I can put it back to rights. I think long pink and fuzzy was behind where I was groping and decided to come and cuddle with my hand.

I am thinking of buying a small peice of live rock from an established system. Still having small issues from time to time and I am not feeding the tank. I figure if I get a bit from a well established tank, It'll aid my situation. My nitrate test ran out, so I will have to A: mail order it or B: hop onto the train to the next city over. B looks like a good option at the moment but I will need to wait a while bfore doing so. I would like to pick up some brine shrimp eggs as my eggs are not growing anymore. Also a shipment of Maxi Minis might be coming in and I would really like to see what is in it.

Unfortunately I noticed my feather caulptra starting to get a "netted" appearance which I usually see just before cauluptra goes sexual on me. Thus far my prolifera has yet to do this. Knock on wood. my red macros are growing beautifully. thick and happy.

Couple spots on my hand from the bristleworm are really fat and sore. I have since added disposable gloves by that tank so I'll be an idiot if this situation arises. However, correct me if I am wrong. bristleworms go through that so I'm pooched any which way. BUT it's good practice incase of things like palytoxins.

About the gloves.

I got super small hands, hence difficulty in finding a glove which is not a mile long in the fingers. I complained to my mother about this a few weeks ago (sun coral stings you know?). So she, being protective of her adult offspring, went out looking. She prided herself in finding extra-small, powder-free gloves. I did ask for latex free but she got latex anyway. I have never worn a glove that was actually TIGHT on my fingers. that fit my hand so snug I thought the circulation was going ot be cut off. I think Small in those s hould suffice. When I say small hands. I am 5'2" Most 10 year olds I know have larger hands than me. I am a bit over 3 times that age.

Everything is not back yet. I am still monitoring paramaters. But I just ran out of Nitrate test so I need to run ot hte next city....

I am reconsidering the sun coral, at least not the big branch. migth see if I can take a head off and attach it to the rock somehwere.

IMG_8029.jpg

my DIY Lights are fast approching. I have received an email sayin gmy RapidLED order has been shipped. So that and LED Supply get here. I can wander off to a local shop to get parts for plugs and such.

Once I get the stuff and the fixture made, I plan to half drain teh tank, move it out then reset it up. the stand will have to come out. I plan to repaint the stand get some sort of knuckle protection(they keep getting into the fan blades) and maybe a few layers of better paint. This may very well involve the removeal of the reflector and replacing it.

Depending on switch size will determine my lay out.

I want to add feet to the underside of the stand to raise it a bit off the night stand. I think I might add plastic air hose (wider diamater) to feed wires through and hopefully keep them safe from teh worst of any spills or use a peice of hard plastic. It depends.

I know it'll be improved.

the other night, and I thought I posted it in here, my hermit crab released her offspring. unfortunately, as things go, they didn't last long. But needless to say I was able to witness a few baby hermits swimming around. It was exciting but I am in no way setup to even consider growing them. I do have ample bitty shells. but who knows maybe in a few months I'll notice a bitty crab. Unlikely but still it was very cool to see.

all my parts have arrived for my lighting project. I need to go into town later in the week to pick up some plugs, some sort of box I can put the wiring in, some extra marettes, a fan for the heat sink plastic tube.

Archived