rnd4

Flatworms?

rnd4

So, I looked at the master ID thread and my best guess is some sort of flatworm? I just noticed a bunch of these crawling on the glass in one corner of the tank.

IMG_9823.jpg

freeflow_king

Same ones started appearing in my tank a few days ago, not much just a few but i hope they don't multiply to quickly. Doubt they're AEF because I don't have any acros but I'm not to sure on this one, the only SPS i have in my tank are a few montis but they all seem healthy. Somebody please do id

keydiver

they won't touch monti's or other SPS. The name is planaria, and they multiply extremely fast. I reccomend getting rid of them as quickly as possible by using either chemicals or natural predators. You could get a blue velvet nudi, but watch out for powerheads. Flatworm exit is also effective, but requires the siphoning of the dead ones and a large WC.

wamb0010

they might be acoel? take a look at the thread below to see if they are the same as what you got. Mine all are gone right now miraculously. It wasn't planned but I had like a 6 day period where my tank went blackout because my LED AC/DC power converter fried and it took a while to get Jbj to ship it. After that they are all gone (knock on wood). Now I just need to battly out my dictyota and i'll never buy another frag again!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=249435&hl=

Edited by wamb0010

rnd4

I think I had a bunch of these guys in the tank about a month ago, but I ran over them with the algae scraper and today is the first time I've seen any since.

wamb0010
I think I had a bunch of these guys in the tank about a month ago, but I ran over them with the algae scraper and today is the first time I've seen any since.

They are some form of flatworm, and the algae scraper trick won't work in the long run. They are a PIA. I did some experiments with flatworm exit and i'm not even sure that will kill 100% of them. Good luck

rnd4

Well, I had been strongly considering a Six-lined Wrasse for my last fish in this tank, so perhaps this will tip me over the edge just in case it'll help kill the flatworms. At least I haven't found any on the corals....yet....

wamb0010
Well, I had been strongly considering a Six-lined Wrasse for my last fish in this tank, so perhaps this will tip me over the edge just in case it'll help kill the flatworms. At least I haven't found any on the corals....yet....

A six-line isn't guranteed to eat FW's from what i've heard. I think its like 50/50. I heard that you could set up a second tank and put the six-line into the tank and add flatworms so that he acquires the taste of them. I would get a second opinion though, I have just heard of this, I have never actually heard of it being done or seen a thread on it.

ednangel

you can starve them and siphon them out, also wrasses do wonders eating those.

Deleted User 6

looks like aceol to me. planaria are typically red.

1fishmonger

Consider a different fish. Sixlines do not belong in community/nano tanks and often get very aggressive. Cryptic wrasse has the same functionality but a lot less aggressive.

DoubleD
I reccomend getting rid of them as quickly as possible by using either chemicals or natural predators.

Yes and I recommend border control with nuclear devices. The best thing to do is dump a bunch of chemicals and throw predators into a balanced reef environment.

looks like aceol to me. planaria are typically red.

:D +++1111

They are acoel. Harmeless eaters of pods and tiny crustaceans. They also feed on detritus. Their population will deplete with the population of pods. People see them on their corals and freak out. I have them on my mushrooms and zoas from time to time, they clean up the detritus and "snow" that settles on them.

How old is your tank? I had these for the first few months, and have only seen a couple in the last year or so.

• Like 1

Squared

I bought a sixline hoping it would eat flatworms. It didn't. Don't get a sixline (that is if you want one for flatworm control, otherwise they are quite wonderful fish), there's a good chance it won't eat flatworms.

Pinstripe wrasse and the yellow coris wrasse eat planaria.

rnd4
Consider a different fish. Sixlines do not belong in community/nano tanks and often get very aggressive. Cryptic wrasse has the same functionality but a lot less aggressive.

The tank is a 40 Breeder, so I'm not terribly worried about it being too small for a Six-line if I go that way. I keep going back and forth over whether I want one or not, so I'm sure I'll keep putting it off. Certainly at least until I get a QT tank up and running again after Christmas.

They are acoel. Harmeless eaters of pods and tiny crustaceans. They also feed on detritus. Their population will deplete with the population of pods. People see them on their corals and freak out. I have them on my mushrooms and zoas from time to time, they clean up the detritus and "snow" that settles on them.

How old is your tank? I had these for the first few months, and have only seen a couple in the last year or so.

By acoel do you mean this group? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoelomorpha

I've honestly only seen them twice, about a month apart and never anywhere but the glass.

The tank is about 8 months old. Here's its thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=235488

wamb0010

they are hard to see elsewhere but they are likely out there. they come to the glass more when there is an algae film. They were on my zoas and I wouldn't have noticed it but I was killing nudis with flatworm exit and they (the flatworms) would come out.

Edited by wamb0010

DoubleD
By acoel do you mean this group? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoelomorpha

Yep! Those are the guys. They come in different shapes and sizes and they are NOT flatworms. They will appear and disappear with the cycles of your tank. 8 months is young and your tank is going to go through many changes. Mine are over 2 years old, and still I get changes and new creatures coming out all the time.

I just pulled a gorilla crab out last week that I had never seen before. Just goes to show you.

I would refrain from adding chemicals or predators to your tank. Just let it go though the motions and enjoy the biodiversity that a maturing tank brings out. Remember, that your reef is a delicate balance of life, and when you start dropping bombs in there, you will throw lots of stuff out of whack.

• Like 1

freeflow_king

I think DoubleD is rite because my tank is about a year old and I have never noticed these till my pod population exploded, I only see a few on my glass along with pods but then again they're tiny so it would be hard to see them on the LR. Other than that they never seem to bother any of my corals. I still smash them with my fingernail whenever i see them tho :D