Cultivated Reef

PJ's Sexy Shrimp Breeding Thread

pj86

ok what about which water do you use to hatch them, what kind of egg mix do you use (eggs+salt or just eggs and you add your own salt?) Also do you care about the pH, do you add any baking soda, or measure the salinity? or do they hatch no matter what? how warm does the water have to be ? im guessing they hatch in a day.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the water change from my tank. Sometimes, I use old salt water mix that has not been used for 2+ weeks that I store for miscellaneous usage. Besides that I do no other measuring, they will hatch in pretty much any environment. The 2 most important things are an air pump and light (higher hatching rate.) With light you can get some to hatch in 12 hours, and fully hatch in 24. Wihtout light it will take 24-36 hours to hatch some. Optimal water temp is 80 degrees, but anywhere from 70-80 should will be fine which can be achieved from the bulb being close to the container.

yes I'll be sure to use all this info when I'm hatching BBS in the future. I used to get great results about 2 years ago when i first started to breed FW fish. they grew extremely large and fast on BBS. but after a while i couldnt hatch BBS anymore and got like 10 BBS per bunch of eggs, which really was terrible so i stopped. thanks for the help :)

Any suggestions on how to take close up pics with a cheaper type camera?

Shrimp are doing great, I believe all of them are alive, haven't found a dead body yet. Tonight will be day 10 which means they are half way there before settlement.

Is there not a macro or "tulip" setting that will focus on things up close? Bought my camera specifically for it's good close up and dark lighting conditions. Glad to see you are having some great success.

There is a macro, but still has a hard time capturing the image if there is some movement. I took a video that captures the shrimp better

Do they always release the eggs in the same spot?

Yesterday I noticed my female is carrying eggs again and I could see the eyes. I'm debating trying to raise them myself..

I haven't noticed her releasing the larva in the same spot. Last time I took out the female and let it release the larva in the container I was going to raise them in. Two days later I returned the female to the main tank. This was much simpler than trying to catch the larva. It takes exactly 12 days post fertilization for the larva to be released, once they are released the cycle begins again, so the female will release larva 12-13 day intervals. You can follow my thread in MBI, breeding thread, it has a lot more info and is organized better.

14 DAY VIDEO. So far everything is going well. Last time I cleaned I did see 5 dead shrimp. The last few days it has been busy for me and wasn't able to follow the routine for the tank. I hope those are the only shrimp.

• 2 weeks later...

lol, jdl.

So here is a small updated video 22 days old, remaining ~20. There are literally 2-4 days from settlement I hope they make it.

lol, jdl.

So here is a small updated video 22 days old, remaining ~20. There are literally 2-4 days from settlement I hope the make it.

Awesome pj! I'm rooting for yah fingerscrossed

Settlement has occurred on some of them, 2 of them so far look successful. There are about 15 more to go. Here is a short video. The first half shows the settle sexy shrimp, while the second half shows an unsettled sexy shrimp versus the settle shrimp.

Finally was able to capture some great photos with my crappy camera. You can see how small these settle sexy shrimp are by seeing them on top of the chaeto. By far the funnest part of this hobby so far,

DSCF4295.JPG

DSCF4296.JPG

Interesting to note that these shrimp seem to grow much bigger and quicker once out of their larval stage. They are starting to look stronger and darker in coloration. Now the question is if I should make another tank just for these little guys....hmm.

Archived