Top Shelf Aquatics

PJ's Sexy Shrimp Breeding Thread

pj86

You should try the bbs. You don't need a hatching dish, just a container with some bubbles and a bit of natural light. Really, really easy to hatch.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You should try the bbs. You don't need a hatching dish, just a container with some bubbles and a bit of natural light. Really, really easy to hatch.

Bubbles from an airstone? Maybe I'll try this. There's only a few hatchlings left, but I heard that once your shrimp mates, they start to do it more frequently. If this is true then I will definitely get the shrimp. I just don't want to invest money or time in something if it's too late

okay cool, so it looks like my female is packing her abdomen still so I expect there will be another clutch. I'll order some eggs today. LFS don't sell them do they?

Just make sure your bubbles are not too crazy hard, a slow bubble is enough to keep a current and the eggs a swirl. I use water bottles with a peice of hard tube inserted in the cap and siliconed. I wrap teflon tape around the threads to protect from leaks. Not the m ost advanced tech out there but it works. Unless your eads are all dead like mine are. .-.

So an update on the sexy shrimp larva. About 2 days ago I lost all 3 of the remaining ones. They had grown considerably and looked different from when they were born. Last night my sexy decided to spawn again but I was asleep. So that makes it officially 12 days post fertilization for the eggs to mature.

This morning she is already carrying a new clutch of eggs. I saw the male mate with the female and was able to capture post behavior on film (

), in which the male guarded the female for some time. This time the female is carrying a few hundred eggs. I will try to capture the larva this time around and make a better effort in raising them.
Funktastic Wint
So an update on the sexy shrimp larva. About 2 days ago I lost all 3 of the remaining ones. They had grown considerably and looked different from when they were born. Last night my sexy decided to spawn again but I was asleep. So that makes it officially 12 days post fertilization for the eggs to mature.

This morning she is already carrying a new clutch of eggs. I saw the male mate with the female and was able to capture post behavior on film (

), in which the male guarded the female for some time. This time the female is carrying a few hundred eggs. I will try to capture the larva this time around and make a better effort in raising them.

hey any updates on ur shrimp?

im gunna get some when my tank is a little older.

any tips? or anything they are particulaly fond of brand wise?

so weird, I never noticed my male guarding the female like that. It looks like mine is prego again, thinking about ordering some brine eggs this time and trying again...

hey any updates on ur shrimp?

im gunna get some when my tank is a little older.

any tips? or anything they are particulaly fond of brand wise?

s

The first batch was not successful. Sexy shrimp are pretty easy to keep, they will eat pretty much anything but I have seen that they like pellets quite a bit.

So tonight is a big night, 12 days post fertilization. The last larvae that the female is going to release from the original male that I had in my tank. I have removed the female and placed it in another container so this time I don't have to worry about syphoning the larva. Hopefully the transfer isn't to traumatic and the female will be ok. I will post pics once the larvae are released.

last summer I had 6 sexy shrimp, 4 of which were females and all producing clutches of eggs, usually one every 4th night or so. I tried several different setups and tweaks with a couple dozen different clutches and just couldn't figure out how to keep the zoae from getting stuck in the surface tension and dying before they got a chance to settle out. meanwhile the females turned into LPS eating preggo #####es and after a couple months of that I was getting ready to start tossing them in with my mantis so I got rid of them all. now almost a year later just seeing a sexy shrimp at my LFS makes me feel angry and spiteful and a little sad. good luck.

cptbjorn, a tall cylinder such as a vase decreases the surface tension by allowing the bubbles that rise from the air pump to break the surface tension.

So, this time around I was really prepared, and all the larva seem to be happy and eating right away. The new container they are in is much better than my last setup. Just a very tall vase with a relatively large diameter (~10 inches diameter). Thee larva remain suspended in the water column and float around the water at a flow rate that is just about right. Now it is a game of being patient and diligent with water changes and feeding.

Today I returned the mother to the main tank. So far no deaths in the breeding tank. Tonight will be their first molt. Everything is going smoothly and as planned. I hope this time around I got the right formula.

A little over 48 hours, so I'm guessing the shrimp went through their first molt. Still no loses. The shrimp are looking larger already. I will see if can get some pics up today.

check aquaticeco.com they sell food specific to all stages of shrimp production.

have you decapsulated the bbs? that could be a nutrient limiting issue if not...some of the zoel stage feed they sell at aes is pro aquaculture stuff they sell to Taiwanese breeding facilities you should really check that out

I decapsulate the brine shrimp, and also only feed brine shrimp that has been up to 6 hours hatched. I keep the water column that the sexy shrimp are in with about 5-7 bbs/ml. They are looking really good, and healthy and i can see them constantly eating.

sweeth<3, your wish is granted. Here is a video I just took a few minutes ago.

You gonna have to maximize the youtube video. Also the small white things are the artemia.

that does look like very strong flow for the larvae. they handle it fine? I was envisioning running a container with an airline putting out 1 bubble per second or less to not disturb the water much, but youre going more than that.

Newman, this time around I'm trying higher flow, after reading a success story from here http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtop...=223&t=2179 . They seemed to use very high flow rate and no problems. I will update the original post, because on my first attempt I tried very low flow rate and the shrimp seemed to remain at the bottom most of the time. Also, the first attempt used a tall square vase, which caused the shrimp to get stuck at the corners of the container.

3 days have passed with that much flow rate and no deaths have occurred so far. So I'm guessing that flow is good to go. Also, they seem much more active and already are larger than any of the first attempt shrimps.

I'm pretty surprised that I have had no deaths so far. Some things that I have done differently this time was to begin with freshly made saltwater. Also, very few artemia have die in the tank, making it so much easier to maintain. Tonight will be 5th day which means the shrimp are about 20% transformed. Another ~19 days and they will be completely settled.

So maybe this time around I will have quite a few sexy shrimps to sell. By far, this has been the funnest project I have done so far for my aquarium.

I took some photos and a video of my very simple setup. Also, I took some photos of how I'm hatching my BBS. Here they are

IMG_0208.JPG

It is at the back of my picotope, so that is why you ca see all those wires and tubing.

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

This is how I hatch the BBS.

And here is a better video,

nice plankton simulation lol.

they do not get stuck in the chaeto?

also can you describe how you hatch the BBS and equipment used? because i always had trouble with my hatch rate being very low.

They don't get stuck on the chaeto. After day 2 they develop this twitch motion, where they can twitch quite rapidly and pickup speed, pretty fun to watch.

For the BBS I use a small ozarka bottle that has been cut from the bottom half. This holds the water and eggs. Then I put the ozarka bottle inside the chick filet cup just to maintain it balanced. I keep the chick fillet lid so I can just insert a line of tubing for the air. I put a 40 watt bulb pretty close and leave it on 24/7. I have a pretty good hatch rate with this method.

Archived