Coral Vue Hydros

anenome feeding & question

wamb0010

i know this might sound really dumb but how did you introduce it into your tank?? my brother had an anem and he added a cup of his water to the bag and a half hour later just stuck it in his tank it it did like this and it took the turn for the worst. did you drip acclimate it??

I didn't drip acclimate. I used the ghetto way where I take out a little from the bag, then add a little tank water, wait ten minutes and repeat and do it this way for like an hour.

the thing is mine was ok for a while and has recently taken a turn for the worse over the last week. I introduced on november 17th so it was ok for a few weeks.

You should probably try doing a 50% water change and see if your corals start perking up from then on. With a tank your size that should help lower phosphates and fix any potential alkalinty problem (if either of these is the issue). Then say give it a week and if things are still looking crappy try reducing your photo period or adding shade to the light. With this sort of the thing its always a process of elimination.

I actually think it started look a little bit better last night after i dosed 100ml of MG and CA but I could be smoking crack. I am going to do a large water change in not too long. I just moved some stuff around in the tank. Found a home for chalice that was really sick under a ledge. i hate having super glue on my fingers

super glue fingers suck! Yeah I agree with reef goddess.....process of elimination. If it isn't your paramaters, try the lighting, if it isn't the lighting.....send it to me :P

weird... i just got an RBTA from a tank that was 65 degrees and hair algae to hell and back and it still looks great, was under 2 x 65w PC lighting and has great color. I know the parameters were crap in that tank, tossed it right in my nice n toasty 78 deg tank with no acclimation, still looks good.. if it was unhappy with the lighting it would move and hide. Water change, check for stray voltage. How long are you running your lights? I used to run my halide for 9 hours and had issues.. now i just run from 3p-9p.. probably going to bump it up 1 more hour..

i'm just planning on feeding silversides, i dont' believe they need a 3 course buffet..

weird... i just got an RBTA from a tank that was 65 degrees and hair algae to hell and back and it still looks great, was under 2 x 65w PC lighting and has great color. I know the parameters were crap in that tank, tossed it right in my nice n toasty 78 deg tank with no acclimation, still looks good.. if it was unhappy with the lighting it would move and hide. Water change, check for stray voltage. How long are you running your lights? I used to run my halide for 9 hours and had issues.. now i just run from 3p-9p.. probably going to bump it up 1 more hour..

i'm just planning on feeding silversides, i dont' believe they need a 3 course buffet..

I run my lights from 8 am to 5PM so 9 hours. I'll cut it back 2 hours. What is the easiest way to check for stray voltage?

update - I don't think my nem is going to make it. Looks like his foot is starting to disintegrate which is a very bad sign.

One thing I realized is that I have been dosing algaefix to try to get rid of some dictyota I have. Supposed to be harmless but who knows.

It's a sad day I noticed a huge rip in my clams mantle to so i'm not sure he will make it... I'm not sure what to do but i'm guessing I will pull the nem out of the tank today

I had to make the difficult decision last night to flush the anenome :tears: It was looking terrible, and its mouth was wide open and I could see its insides. Relatively large chunks of rotting stinking tentacles had been melting off of it and for the good of the tank I had to let him go. Sucks. I did another 5 gallon water change after removal but he came off relatively easy with zero mess in the tank.

wow.. sorry to hear that... I really thought they weren't that difficult to keep. As I mentioned earlier, the one I acquired came out of a poorly neglected 20 gal lit with PC's.. hair algae galore. The tank was set up in August and has only had 1 75% water change about 2 weeks ago and the water temp was surely 60.

Have your zoas opened back up yet?

northstar1357

yes, it is really weird, Nems are usually really hardy. my nem survived 3 weeks without light and damaged itself in a pump but still lived. did your drop a something on it?? perhaps someone was spraying air wick around your tank?

wow.. sorry to hear that... I really thought they weren't that difficult to keep. As I mentioned earlier, the one I acquired came out of a poorly neglected 20 gal lit with PC's.. hair algae galore. The tank was set up in August and has only had 1 75% water change about 2 weeks ago and the water temp was surely 60.

Have your zoas opened back up yet?

My thought was that they weren't terribly difficuly to keep but they need an estimblished tank with good light. My water params aern't exactly perfect but I keep up on maintenance and have never missed a weekly water change. I'm not sure what went wrong really but I will continue to investigate but I know that I won't be getting another nem soon because I don't really enjoy killing creatures. Maybe if I identify a problem I could try again but the fact that some of my zoas don't open up is also disturbing. I have a few frags that open up during the day and a little bitat night but it seems like my red PPE paly's are never open. I dunno really.

yeah that will work, though you can probably pick it up cheaper at walmart.. Should be reading under a volt. Some conductivity will be present but it shouldn't be much.

Archived