Cultivated Reef

anenome feeding & question

wamb0010

i've been feeding my anemone (which looks like crap right now) exclusively mysis every couple days. I read on Karens Anemone that she recomends silverslides? Just curious as to others experience feeding mysis vs. silverslides.

Also - I think my anemone was hungry. It looks like some of its tentacles were disintegrating / rotting. The foot still seems healthy but I have been feeding it like crazy now and it looks better but has anybody had a similiar type experience?

what kind of anemone? and how long have you had it? I have a condy and it loves eatting brine shrimp and chunks of raw shrimp.. imo a mix of everything is great..

what kind of anemone? and how long have you had it? I have a condy and it loves eatting brine shrimp and chunks of raw shrimp.. imo a mix of everything is great..

Ive only had it 3 weeks. My tank is about 7 months old. It is a red bubble tip.

is there anyway you could get a picture??

btw whats your water like? have you tested it lately?

It is closed up right now cuz I just fed it about an hour ago so a pic wouldn't really help but once it opens i'll throw one up. It was closing up during the day until I started feeding like crazy. Sometimes it would completely deflate as well during the day which I don't take to be a good sign. It seems a lot better since I started feeding it like crazy but some of its tentacles look to have rotted away while others seem very helathy.

I'll test the params right now. Do you need alk/calc/mg

just because its deflated is not always a bad thing..mine deflates usually when the lights come on for a little while..if it still glows under moonlights or actinics then its fine..

but make sure your params are good and the temp on the tank hasnt changed..or if you have changed the lighting it may need some time to change it..

also its still relatively new to your tank..if its eating i thinks its fine..also your supposed to only feed them like once a week..thats just what i have read..mine eats when i feed my tank PE Mysis..and miine doesnt like a whole lot of light..i have mine under a 250w halide and it is kinda underneath a rock bridge hidden from some of the light..so maybe it just needs to find it comfy spot and it will thrive..good luck

IME as long as it still glows closed up or not under actinics or moonlights then its fine and maybe just stressed from either water params, temp change, or the lighting...

just because its deflated is not always a bad thing..mine deflates usually when the lights come on for a little while..if it still glows under moonlights or actinics then its fine..

but make sure your params are good and the temp on the tank hasnt changed..or if you have changed the lighting it may need some time to change it..

also its still relatively new to your tank..if its eating i thinks its fine..also your supposed to only feed them like once a week..thats just what i have read..mine eats when i feed my tank PE Mysis..and miine doesnt like a whole lot of light..i have mine under a 250w halide and it is kinda underneath a rock bridge hidden from some of the light..so maybe it just needs to find it comfy spot and it will thrive..good luck

IME as long as it still glows closed up or not under actinics or moonlights then its fine and maybe just stressed from either water params, temp change, or the lighting...

Interesting. Yeah I was only feeding 2x a week but for the last couple days i have been feeding a little bit 2x daily. I don't know if you can overfeed them, they just won't eat, but mine has been eating each time I feed. Mine is in the lowest spot in the tank but I have LED so it is pretty bright. I was always under the impression they liked light? I haven't changed anything in the tank and it seems to like its spot it is in.

yeah i thought they did do too but i got a GBTA and mine walked from where i put to more under a rock covering where its a little shaded..but also if it wanted to move it would..so if your water is fine then i would just let it stay...maybe turn the lights off an hour early or wait an hour or so before turning them on..just try a couple of things and see how it does..maybe it is just hungry..i think your gonna be fine as long as it still glows..if it starts to fall apart and looses color under actinics and has a horrible smell then i would take it out..but i think your gonna be fine..just be patient and let mother nature take over...

ONLY IF YOUR PARAMS AND TEMP ARE NORMAL..

That anemone looks damaged. Did it come in bad shape or bleached out? It looks like it may be recovering, hard to tell yet. A healthy rbta would have many more tentacles than that and it would not have a lot of shriveled tentacles.

You have to be careful who you buy anemones from. A lot of lfs will sell poor quality anemones to unsuspecting customers.

This is what healthy bta anemones should like. Mind you these are ultra rare colors. :P

***I don't have these for sale, these are old pictures, I'm just teasing everyone so don't ask!! I only sell maxi minis now because they don't like have love affairs with my powerheads.

pinklemonade.jpg

pinky.jpg

sunburstbta.jpg

I bought it off divers den. Here is a pic of it when I first first got it, like 1 day after

post-53214-1292050540_thumb.jpg

then it slowly started to stop bubbling. Here is an intermediate pic I took a few weeks later. it wasn't a nem shot. it was a fts.

post-53214-1292050673_thumb.jpg

Wow, then maybe there is an issue with your tank. A rbta that nice wouldn't go bad for no reason. Are you having issues with any of your corals?

Do you have any flow in your tank? Rbtas do better and maintain their bubbletips in tanks with moderate - high flow. Have you tried placing it in a shadier spot under some rock? Maybe it is getting too much light, although they usually move when that is the case.

Wow, then maybe there is an issue with your tank. A rbta that nice wouldn't go bad for no reason. Are you having issues with any of your corals?

Do you have any flow in your tank? Rbtas do better and maintain their bubbletips in tanks with moderate - high flow. Have you tried placing it in a shadier spot under some rock? Maybe it is getting too much light, although they usually move when that is the case.

one of my chalices is dying. I thought it was because of too much light though. and my aussie torch coral isn't as full as I would like it to be.

I think it is in moderate flow. I have LEDs in my tank but the nem is at the very bottom. It has stayed in virtually the same spot since I got it.

What kind of lights are you using? Are you dosing kalk/alc? Like others said what are your parameters? Nitrates, alk level, calc level, etc. Your zoos like pretty pissed off too. Maybe it is still too much light, hard to say without observing in person. I have no experience with LEDs.

What kind of lights are you using? Are you dosing kalk/alc? Like others said what are your parameters? Nitrates, alk level, calc level, etc. Your zoos like pretty pissed off too. Maybe it is still too much light, hard to say without observing in person. I have no experience with LEDs.

yeah that is why I posted the second post because my zoos suck, they always have. I don't even know what LEDs I have. I have the 28 gallon nanocube LED so whatever those lights are. Im not too smart on lighting so I just bought this and thought I would be good. I used to dose the holy trinity but I haven't been doing it religously. I am going to test everything right now. I usually do my weekly 5 gallon water change tomorrow so it will be good to see where i'm at.

Yeah, let us know how it goes. I have no idea if crappy LEDs can emit UV and cause problems. But I have had that happen Reeflux MH's before, it caused a lot of our corals to be damaged before we figured out the problem.

If your water tests out fine, you might want to try putting some screen or something between your light to act as a shade and see if that helps at all.

temp = 79.5

PH = 8.13

SG = 1.022 - 1.023 (not sure why so low)

Nitrite =0

Nitrate = <5PPM but not 0

Ammonia = 0 maybe a hair above but not much

Calc = 395

ALK = 3.66 (this is high could it be problem)

MG = 1170

I use API for the general stuff and salifert for calc/mg/alk

Your anemone is definitely pissed off. I would start by putting it under some shade.

Do you have any suggestions on how I should do this?

Any thoughts on the params? These are real-time. I don't have a phosphate test kit. I know shame on me

i know this might sound really dumb but how did you introduce it into your tank?? my brother had an anem and he added a cup of his water to the bag and a half hour later just stuck it in his tank it it did like this and it took the turn for the worst. did you drip acclimate it??

Just find a ledge to put it under, or put it near the corner of your tank where the light isn't so bright.

What is your alk and your Mg at? I would buy a phosphate kit.

Just find a ledge to put it under, or put it near the corner of your tank where the light isn't so bright.

What is your alk and your Mg at? I would buy a phosphate kit.

It is at the bottom of the tank not too far from the corner. I would have to manually remove the foot from the rock which I htink is pretty bad news. My alk and mg are at 3.66. and 1170 respectively

Id think you have enough light, not sure....I think that JBJ states that the NC 28 LED is just sub par to their 150w NC 28HQI.

LED's do not produce UV at all, that is the one reason they keep the water so cool, no radiated heat.

Just give it some time, have carbon and a water change ready and waiting though incase it does go.

From what I have heard though is that RBTA really like their light, if you have a 250 watt light over your little tank you would stiff be fine.

Archived