Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

1 Gallon Shroom Jar

Siren's eye

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the shrooms are the only things in there it won't hurt to crank the nitrate up a bit. The grow like crazy when it gets up to the 20-40ppm range.

Thank you, I'll try that. I do want to add some shrimp later, and I have some hermits. Will thay be OK?

animalmaster6
I do want to add some shrimp later, and I have some hermits. Will thay be OK?

Hermits and shrimp should be okay. Snails and hermits could be a problem though.

At Petsmart I saw a small radiant heater for reptiles, it's flat and designed for the tank to sit on top of. That may be a more aesthetically pleasing heater solution.

its possible for you to keep that alive for years and years I say fill it up with colored mushrooms and let em reproduce all over the walls and it will be so simple, no dosing just feed lightly once a week with cyclopeeze then change out most of the water a few hours later and it will run for years.

once a week a quick water change plus wiping the walls of the jar out, topping off midweek its bulletproof but they all run easy when new, till month 6.

I love this idea, I might have to try it :D

once a week a quick water change plus wiping the walls of the jar out, topping off midweek its bulletproof but they all run easy when new, till month 6.

What happens after month six? zombies? :o

its possible for you to keep that alive for years and years I say fill it up with colored mushrooms and let em reproduce all over the walls and it will be so simple, no dosing just feed lightly once a week with cyclopeeze then change out most of the water a few hours later and it will run for years.

^This....

Love the idea and the tank is looking great!

xenia looks amazing as it moves. if you glue frag to the lower wall of the glass instead of the bottom substrate, it will climb off the frag and move around the tank within 3 mos bet~lol

B update pics of it when you can this was a really clean build.

thesmallerthebetter
At Petsmart I saw a small radiant heater for reptiles, it's flat and designed for the tank to sit on top of. That may be a more aesthetically pleasing heater solution.

i agree here. thats the route i take with all my new builds as far as heating. this is a near necessity when it comes to sub gallon reefs as real-estate and aesthetics are both damaged by a in tank heater. i use something called "Flexwatt heat tape" and a simple thermostate to control temps on my tanks

awsome build :)i love the simple ones. be sure to update as time progresses, id love to see a shoom forest in there

i agree here. thats the route i take with all my new builds as far as heating. this is a near necessity when it comes to sub gallon reefs as real-estate and aesthetics are both damaged by a in tank heater. i use something called "Flexwatt heat tape" and a simple thermostate to control temps on my tanks

awsome build :)i love the simple ones. be sure to update as time progresses, id love to see a shoom forest in there

Would those be safe with the jar sitting directly on top of it?

thesmallerthebetter

yessir

i have acrylic tanks sitting on the tape, a glass tank will take the heat and transfer it much better :)

They're designed for tanks to sit on them and heat the substrate for reptiles. Their designed with the expectations of some sort of intank water storage to humidify the tank so the heater should be waterproof.

They're designed for tanks to sit on them and heat the substrate for reptiles. Their designed with the expectations of some sort of intank water storage to humidify the tank so the heater should be waterproof.

And it won't burn my desk? If not it sounds pretty cool. I'll google them up right now.

are they radiant heat panels, or just heat pads?

thesmallerthebetter

when used with some sort of thermostat the heater should never be close to burning the desk, it should only ever get "warm" never "hot" if that makes any sense

Archived