Coral Vue Hydros

1 Gallon Shroom Jar

Siren's eye

008-6.jpg

The mushrooms in my 5 gallon have been pretty miserable because of the strong currents, so I decided to set up their own little pico. I also plan on adding yellow polyp frags from my larger tank, some hermits and a shrimp.

Equipment

1 gallon cookie jar

small heater

air pump/stone

desk lamp

Livestock

Coral

Mushrooms

yellow polyps

zoas

inverts

Hermit crabs

shrimp

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting idea! :)

Could you be more specific about the lighting?

Sure :)

I have a 65K cfl light in my desklamp, and there's spill over light from my tank. I'm just going to go with that for now to see how it goes. If the mushrooms need more, I'll upgrade.

the CFL is like 15 watts? thats plenty. just go with one mushroom at a time in case they hate CFL lighting. though they shouldnt. FW plants grow under it, the zooxanthelae should too

Also you might want to consider some sort of macro algae. macro and mushrooms look great in combo :)

macros=awesome B)

Test out a shroom or two, see if they like that light, I think it will look pretty yellow, and they probably wouldn't be as brightly colored, we'll have to see :)

6500K is fine. its more white light than yellow. it will look yellow with yellow sand and tan rock like you have though, so use white sand. it will look fine. the macros can supply color too. Cant wait to see how it looks! though I suggest you cycle this tank just like any other.

That's a pretty cool concept, the single species pico..... I can't wait to get mine fully up and then get to worry about other stuff besides "is my cycle over" and planning a CUC.

you could also do some vibrant type of macro like ochtodes or halmenia. I think the added combo of bright shrooms plus a nice deep red of purple macro would really look great.

its for water movement micro, which will really help the algae and animals in the jar respire rather than sitting in still water which doesnt work very well in SW. (works for my FW bowl though :))

also it wouldnt badly effect pH. if offgasses CO2 in the water too so thats another benefit - it provides surface agitation for oxygenating the water. the offgassing of the CO2 ensures that the pH doesnt go down due to carbon dioxide building up and making the water more acidic. it wouldnt really happen because of higher KH though. SW does have good buffering :)

i always like the tight lid designs could be a neat sealed tank.

I plan on leaving the lid on to cut down on evaporation. I can't imagine how much I would need to top off everyday. I mean, my 5 gallon goes through a quarter gallon a day.

001-16.jpg

I got it all set up! I went to petsmart to buy an air pump, but came home with a tiny submersible filter/pump. I thought that would be much better because then I could add floss and a little carbon.

You can see in the picture how my big purple mushroom is all streached from the current in my other tank. Poor thing. I hope it doesn't take long for it to flatten out.

add some macros to make your oxygen. sealing would have been an issue with an air pump but probably not anymore.

the mini sun probably sucks, i would use it for color supplementation only. the CFL you have is great. if youre so concerned about color, then combine the two.

why is the color bad tho? what color is the shroom normally and what color is it under the CFL?

Well, after an entire day of my shrooms looking uncomfortable I tested my water's PH and found out it was 7.2! I know the PH was fine this morning because I took it out of my 5 gallon. I guess it was the white rock I was using. I thought it was a Texas holey rock. Those are safe, right? After kicking myself in the buttocks I replaced it with some Fiji base rock that was lying around, and did a 100% water change.

Everything so far seems great, but I want to know if this is this going to affect the LS and LRR I had in the jar?

Nice! Maybe add some macros in the back(they'll hide the heater too) and it will be more awesome :P

I lik the earlier suggestion of a macro jungle with the mushrooms.

Archived