Maxi-jet 1200 for the sump current

which I attach when needed a vented canister for

any media, i.e. carbon, chemi-pure etc.

1/13 chiller, kept at 77 deg.

The LIGHTS:

(1) Ecoxotic Panorama 12" Module Strip 12x2 watt LED

(8x8000k white/4x453nm blue)

(6) Ecoxotic stunner strips 24x6 watt LED WITH reflectors

(two all blue 453nm, four 8000k white/453nm blue)

The CRITTERS:

GSP

Torch coral

Duncans (started w/6 heads, 6 months later has 22)

Zoas (don't know what type)

(9) Hairy mushrooms

(2) Feather dusters

(2) Toadstool corals

Blue/greem sympodium

colt coral

neon green polyps

(10) hermit crabs

(1) female lyretail anthias

(2) juv. false Perculas (pair)

(1) green chromis

(1) juv. yellow tang

(1) golden head sleeper goby

(3) juv. gold and black chromis

BTW, let the flaming begin on the yellow tang,

if the flamers were here and saw this tank,

with it's TON of swimming room, 60 gals of water including sump,

and lots of GHA then they wouldn't be so quick to judge.

I will most likely return him to a LFS in about six months anyway.

:D

post-14696-1301948317_thumb.jpg

post-14696-1301992221_thumb.jpg

post-14696-1304122599_thumb.jpg

post-14696-1304122617_thumb.jpg

post-14696-1304122633_thumb.jpg

post-14696-1304122648_thumb.jpg

post-14696-1304122785_thumb.jpg

post-14696-1304122914_thumb.jpg

Thanx bro', I drilled holes through the rocks (live and artificial) and stuck a 1/4 inch acrylic rod through each stack, I also used epoxy as "jams" so the rocks wouldn't move or spin....

The hard part was transferring all the water and live stock after just having surgery on both feet!!!

This tank looks really good. I totally dig the rock work. I'm sure it took time figuring out what pieces you wanted to go where. Looks like the tank has potential to become a really nice reef once full of corals. Keep up the good work.

Jon

Thanx Jon, ya it was a bit of a hair puller for a minute...because of my back and feet, I am on disability....

so, not too much $$$ for the reef right now. (my wife does not share my luv for the ocean, she can't even SWIM!)

If I had more $$$ there would be more stuff. I want to get a lil' live rock for the front, but I really like the open spaces and small foot print, less dead spaces on the substrate.

I know how you feel with the aquascaping and yours is really well built. It's amazing to see the beauty of your tank with the disabilities you have. Hopefully your wife will start to enjoy it and take interest in this fascinating hobby. Don't worry about getting the reef built as fast as possible because you want to be able to take things slow and allow everything to establish. Tank is off to a really good start and keep up the good work.

Jon

Thanx again Jon. I have been on and off here since '05...I am glad to know there are still some cool people left here. I am not saying the people who didn't respond aren't cool, I am talkin' 'bout the people who feel they must find somethin' wrong with ur set up (which every one has, I have yet to see a "perfect" set up in 25+ years....) and point it out as to make them selves look better. I guess that is people in general though...course I see you reside in Cali, so that helps....hahaha.

Ya, ur right Jon, slow and steady wins this race.... ;)

Thanx again Jon. I have been on and off here since '05...I am glad to know there are still some cool people left here. I am not saying the people who didn't respond aren't cool, I am talkin' 'bout the people who feel they must find somethin' wrong with ur set up (which every one has, I have yet to see a "perfect" set up in 25+ years....) and point it out as to make them selves look better. I guess that is people in general though...course I see you reside in Cali, so that helps....hahaha.

Ya, ur right Jon, slow and steady wins this race.... ;)

Thank you reef-luva. I try to encourage people in the hobby and learn from others instead of picking out their flaws to make myself look better. No one's tank is perfect and we all are here to help each other out and learn how to keep these amazing creatures alive in a household environment.

The close up pics are definitely nice. What kind of camera are you shooting with? Yea I live in Southern California.

The close up pics are definitely nice. What kind of camera are you shooting with?

My daughters Nikon D40, nothin' special and she works it a lot better than I do!!! haha...

(who's first word was "ishie" while pointing at my tank 15+ years ago)

btw Jon, I went through ur set up post for ur tank...u sure put a lot into that little thing, looks great!

People who aren't into this hobby, may appreciate the beauty, but they don't understand the work, patience, love and money we put into these. People are surprised when I tell them it is harder (in many ways) to keep a smaller reef than a larger one. Bigger tank, more $$$$ sure, but smaller tank possibly more problems and the severity is greater.

Looks great, I especially like your goniopora, it looks so healthy!

(I'm talking about the green ones in that last pic, those are goniopora right?)

Looks great, I especially like your goniopora, it looks so healthy!

(I'm talking about the green ones in that last pic, those are goniopora right?)

That's funny, at first I thought you were talkin 'bout my red flower pot (that's before you edtited and added "the green one" statement) and were being sarcastic, because they are not out in that shot.... :lol:

I guess I was feeling bad that the flower pots don't look their best here, sorry.

I think you are talkin' 'bout my clove polyps....here is a better shot...

the last shot I used an automatic fix and it turned everything green.

68543_1630342633032_1070599734_31680876_4142617_n.jpg

That's funny, at first I thought you were talkin 'bout my red flower pot (that's before you edtited and added "the green one" statement) and were being sarcastic, because they are not out in that shot.... :lol:

I guess I was feeling bad that the flower pots don't look their best here, sorry.

I think you are talkin' 'bout my clove polyps....here is a better shot...

the last shot I used an automatic fix and it turned everything green.

Yeah after I posted I realized your flowerpot was actually the red block in another picture, I should have known those were cloves w/only 8 fingers :D They do look nice though! How long have you had the goniopora?

How long have you had the goniopora?

For about three months, but I had all these critters through a tank swap and adding a sump.

Not the best way to set up a system, (meaning for the animals)

and I'll be honest the flower pot seems to be doing the least best (if there is such a thing) out of all of them.

My daughters Nikon D40, nothin' special and she works it a lot better than I do!!! haha...

(who's first word was "ishie" while pointing at my tank 15+ years ago)

btw Jon, I went through ur set up post for ur tank...u sure put a lot into that little thing, looks great!

People who aren't into this hobby, may appreciate the beauty, but they don't understand the work, patience, love and money we put into these. People are surprised when I tell them it is harder (in many ways) to keep a smaller reef than a larger one. Bigger tank, more $$$$ sure, but smaller tank possibly more problems and the severity is greater.

I wish I had the money to afford a dslr. I was using my iphone but recently got a sony cyber-shot for super cheap. Couldn't pass up the offer. Nothing special but going to have to work for now as a college student. I enjoy spending time with my tank and sometimes I get side tracked with it. Wish that I could test the water weekly but hard to get to that. I really need to get back on track with my little cyano outbreak I have been having.

I agree that a nano tank can be more difficult to keep than a larger reef. The start up cost is what kills you. I had to go nano because I am constantly moving.

Jon

For about three months, but I had all these critters through a tank swap and adding a sump.

Not the best way to set up a system, (meaning for the animals)

and I'll be honest the flower pot seems to be doing the least best (if there is such a thing) out of all of them.

Well I hope it comes around, they are beautiful coral for sure, too bad they are so finicky.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I hope it comes around, they are beautiful coral for sure, too bad they are so finicky.

since the tank move, I moved them on the bottom and they are responding better.

...more pics to follow...

I checked with the LFS where I picked them up (Vivid in Canoga Park, Ca.)

and they still have two more identical ones that only open like 1/4 to1/2 at best.

(that no one is buying I guess) They had just recently got them in when I picked it up.

They have (had this one) under T5 broad spectrum and these are under LEDs from Ecoxotic.

• 2 months later...

Hey Drew, Nice looking tank you got there. I love the rock work. I have a 28 Gallon NanoCube with 2 Ecoxotic 50/50 Panorama modules and 2 actinic stunner strips. Seems to be plenty of light, but have you had any limitations as to what you can keep under those? And does your Gbta seem happy?

Tank looks great man! Even though u dont have much money at least your at a good point to watch your tank grow. Your scape is awesome.

My BC 29 I just setup today and I can't figure out a good scape with my rocks since i'm a noob It always seems like i just get piles of rocks and I only have about 20lbs of rock. I would try to figure something and epoxy them but I think I would just end up stuck with something i'm not satisified with.

Anyways looks great, keep us updated :)

Archived