Innovative Marine Aquariums

? on titanium heaters

jbb

been looking around for a good titanium heater or set of heaters for a ~150 gallon steup. Just wondering if any one brand is more reliable than others. Thanks in advance

The heaters aren't necessarily the problem, but the controllers can be. I have been running a 300W Finnex heater with their higher end controller for over a year with great success, but many will recommend using Ranco temperature controllers. They are for industrial use, and much more reliable. Most expensive too, of course :) The cheaper controllers are the ones that tend to fail.

I've used a titanium heater by Guardian and it was pretty good. The problem is they paint the heater with some sort of black coating that completely chipped clean off. Not sure if all titanium heaters are coated with this stuff, but probably something you don't want in a reef tank. I used that heater in a freshwater tank

Been using a Via Aqua titanium for 7 years now and they have been flawless.

I've had a via aqua 100w titanium for a few months and it's been great. Smaller than a glass one and being able to put the temp. probe anywhere you want it is nice. The numbers on the dial aren't very accurate, but once you dial it in, it's rock solid.

Before that I had a Eheim Jager that lasted a whole two weeks before it leaked and almost killed my tank. By the time I caught it, it was smoking and looked like it was going to explode. Store told me I had to deal with Eheim for warranty issues. Turns out they don't even have offices in the US. I wasn't about to pay to send a $25 heater to Canada. Never again will I buy a Eheim product.

I have had great success with via aqua titanium heaters. I would recomend letting the temp probe set in your water for atleast 15 minutes before you plug it in.

Archived