• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• burtbollinger

• Genj

• paneubert

• reeftankguy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah thats what I have been reading. anyone else?

I'd like to know too. I'm having a pretty bad algae problem and I'm thinking of buying a reactor from them. Gfo and rox have gotten good reviews. But I'd like to see if it's everything everyone says

Edited by Mitch619
any downsides to it? can anyone recommend any product better than it?

i can't think of any downsides. It's always worked very well for me. I'm a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of guy so I haven't used anything else since I started using rox .8. I'm assuming there are other products on the market that work as well or maybe even better, but I've never needed to bother with finding them.

I've been using it for a few years now. It's great carbon, very clean. You really don't even have to rinse it before putting it in your tank.

Same. I've never rinsed it. I don't run carbon in my pico but I've been using it in my 112 gallon display tank for several years. I just got a new 1 gallon bucket actually.

The only downside is it costs more then cheaper carbon, but it's also better. This is a case of you pay for what you get.

i use it... and i recommend it. One day I was doing a water change, I don't know if there was something weird in the bucket or something but right after my sps started to RTN. I rushed and threw some rox.8 in a mesh bag and tossed it in the sump. Saved all but one sps frag.

It does cost more, but you also don't have to use as much. You won't go thru a $20 container for a long long time.

Edited by soymilk
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone use both GFO and Carbon in the same reactor? I know they have different replacement times, which will lead you to replace the GFO early; however, I only had space for one reactor and don't require much product. 4 tablespoons of GFO and 2 of ROX. I was going to push the ROX to the top of the canister, and the GFO would sit at the bottom. Between them would be about 4 inches of empty space with the sponges between them.

• 2 weeks later...
burtbollinger

highly recommend the ROX and the GFO from BRS.

I do not like running both in the same reactor though.

ROX is good enough that it can be effective in a filter sock, replaced every 2 weeks, in a high flow area..freeing up the reactor for GFO only.

ROX also seems to easily clog a BRS reactor...if you were dead set on running carbon and GFO in a BRS reactor, don't use the ROX, use another carbon variety from BRS.

having done it both ways, with both Carbon and GFO, and with just GFO in the reactor, I assure you GFO only in the reactor is the way to go.

Edited by burtbollinger
burtbollinger
I use it... I mix them both up and run them in a mesh bag in my overflow chamber.

I call it BRS ELITE :happy:

that's a great idea...and I bet your concoction is triple as good as the Chemi-Pure Elite that people buy. ROX carbon is no joke :)

that's a great idea...and I bet your concoction is triple as good as the Chemi-Pure Elite that people buy. ROX carbon is no joke :)

I can say it is... I was a "Chemipure Elite" fan till I started mixing it. BTW it was your recomendation a year ago in some thread that made me try it, sans the reactor of course...

burtbollinger
I can say it is... I was a "Chemipure Elite" fan till I started mixing it. BTW it was your recomendation a year ago in some thread that made me try it, sans the reactor of course...

heh...I was a big fan of Chemipure Elite until I watched some BRS videos...changed my life ;)

burtbollinger

yes, thats the preferred method for ROX actually...its shape is not ideal for a reactor. its looks like tiny pencil lead.

I run ROX in a filter bag and run GFO in a reactor.

Edited by burtbollinger
yes, thats the preferred method for ROX actually...its shape is not ideal for a reactor. its looks like tiny pencil lead.

Ok thanks I was planning on running rox and GFO in media bags on an intank media basket. This would be an appropriate alternative to chemipure and purigen right?

This would be an appropriate alternative to chemipure and purigen right?

Yes and...

No Purigen is a whole different media... It is a resin based media... I still run it as a backup in my overflow

burtbollinger

I had some bad experiences with Purigen...I had used it for years...but I really noticed an increase in the overall look of my tank when I stopped using it. Weird, I know....If running GFO and Carbon, I don't see the need for the Purigen.

Really?

Who in their right mind would have told you that ROX or any other carbon works less efficiently in a reactor?

It is all about surface exposure for carbon to work most efficiently. In a reactor that is tuned to gently suspend the carbon inside the chamber, it only makes sense that it will work much more efficiently than if it is clumped together in a bag.

Please do some research prior to dispensing inaccurate advice.