Cultivated Reef

Jgpicos Pico

jgpico

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear thar jg....thats why I keep mine in the sump that way they can only eat macroalgae..lol well you and live learn right?

You know theres a real easy solution. Don't keep zoa's.

sorry I missed you at reef stock.

def not for everybody, esp if you like zoas

You're right jdl they aren't for everyone and i like zoas too much to just let it go lol. once i upgrade tanks to something a little bigger i might try it again but for now the sexies arent as sexy to me as they used to be lol.

Sorry to hear thar jg....thats why I keep mine in the sump that way they can only eat macroalgae..lol well you and live learn right?

Yeah hype once i upgrade that is where they will be going. That is part of the fun for me in this hobby, you live and you learn. I have learned alot just by trial and error. If you try something and it doesnt work at least you learned a valuable lesson.

You know theres a real easy solution. Don't keep zoa's.

sorry I missed you at reef stock.

I have thought about that bitts but i like them too much. It might just be a phase right now but i don't think my tank would be the same without them. They add a lot of color and they are one of the first things people point out when looking at my tank. I missed everyone at reefstock lol, everyone but evil but how could you miss him?! I'm still seeing spots from looking at that light. we were all probably standing right next to eachother at some point and had no idea :lol:

Didnt pick up much at reefstock cause im running out of room in my tank. Walking around that day and seeing all the awesome corals from all the vendors made me realize that I really need to upgrade to a larger tank. Anyways here is a couple pics of what i did get. Nothing too special. Thanks for checkin in.

2011-03-12215658.jpg

2011-03-12215532.jpg

I also just added a tiny candy cane pistol shrimp to the tank last night. I haven't been able to snap a pic of him yet but I'll post one as soon as i do.

Does anyone have an ID for the sps I just put in?

2011-03-12215658.jpg

Its the same pic as above but i just want to know what it is. I love it and it has been looking very healthy since i put it in. Full polyp extension and great color. The base is a light pink/purple and the tips are green. If this sps continues to do good i plan on getting more.

give that thing a few months before you give it a final judgment. if it adds nice growth by say 2-3 month then you're doing a good job and its fit for the pico.

we'll need another picture, try some from different angles like above. also turn on white light on it so that the colors could be more accurate than in that pic. the pic distorts the colors. right now it could be anything from a type of pocillipora to some weird green birdsnest.

Newman i am pretty sure it is a pocillipora. I really hope it does well in my tank so i can try my hand at some other sps. Anyways there isn't really anything new going on with the tank. I dont know if i mentioned that i got a little candy cane pistol shrimp but it is driving me insane. I havent seen him since i got him but i know he is still alive because he keeps trying to dig under all the frags i have sitting on the sand bed. I really hope he decides to start showing himself. Other than that nothing else is new with the tank. I did get hired on at my favorite lfs though and i am loving it. Today was my first day and i have already learned so much more than i knew yesterday. I got to unpack the coral shipment that came in today and that was like christmas! I also got to frag some zoas that came in on some big rocks. It was pretty cool. I also got to meet N-R member rcplain123 which was cool, so if you live in colorado and shop at Elite Reef hopefully ill get to meet you. Only thing is i will definitely have to upgrade to a bigger tank to accommodate all the cool stuff i will spend my paychecks on lol.

Nice! I've always thought it would be fun to work at a quality lfs. If it is a pocci, I've heard it is the weed coral of sps. Good luck with it. As for the pistol, u will rarely see it. They usually just burrow in the sand from what I've noticed. Get a goby to pair with it and u might see it more.

I already have a hi fin goby in the tank that I am hoping it pairs with. Right now they don't seem to enjoy each others company but it's only been a couple of days. It is pretty interesting to hear him snap his claw from across the room. He is a little under an inch and it's pretty loud, I can't imagine what the bigger ones sound like.

have they paired up at all?

I don't think so. I'm beginning to think that this pistol shrimp is the devil. I am actually going to be working on getting my frags off the sand bed cause I'm tired of waking up and seeing my stuff buried lol. I just need to figure out how to get them to stick to the rocks under water. I really wish I had all the stuff to set up my 14bc.

do you have any coralline in your ac70? and are you using the picotope light for the fuge?

i looked back through all of my tank photos, and i didnt really start to get good coralline growth until the 5th or 6th month in. give it a little more time. if you dont want to wait maybe try dosing purple up or whatever it is called.

do you have any coralline in your ac70? and are you using the picotope light for the fuge?

i looked back through all of my tank photos, and i didnt really start to get good coralline growth until the 5th or 6th month in. give it a little more time. if you dont want to wait maybe try dosing purple up or whatever it is called.

I dont have any at all. Other then what has come in on some frags and even that hasn't always made it. I would really like to see if I could get it going naturally as opposed to using a chemical.

yep good luck with that pocillipora, let us know if it does grow like a weed, I may need to get some myself then :P

to glue frags to rock use cyanocrealate super glue gel, but d the gluing out of the water (drain it if you have to) once its glued in place, make sure it doesnt slide off and then fill it back up and try not to touch it unless you need to fix it or reattach. it will solidify in place in a few hours.

are you cleaning the back glass at all? i skimmed through your whole thread thinking something could be eating it but it doesnt look like you do. are there stomatellas in your tank?

yep good luck with that pocillipora, let us know if it does grow like a weed, I may need to get some myself then :P

to glue frags to rock use cyanocrealate super glue gel, but d the gluing out of the water (drain it if you have to) once its glued in place, make sure it doesnt slide off and then fill it back up and try not to touch it unless you need to fix it or reattach. it will solidify in place in a few hours.

I hope it's the weed of sps too. I'd like to say I was able to have an sps frag thrive in my tank. I guess I'll have to do the gluing my next water change. Which will hopefully be tonight. I just hope I don't damage anything getting it off of the plugs.

are you cleaning the back glass at all? i skimmed through your whole thread thinking something could be eating it but it doesnt look like you do. are there stomatellas in your tank?

I have never cleaned the glass on the back of the tank. I have always just let the cuc take care of it. Do stomatellas eat coralline? I think I have seen one in the tank. Ut didn't know that they ate it...damnit!

sometimes things...eat stuff...

Lmao. Thanks for the heads up Newman. I'll have to keep an eye out for things eating stuff. That seems to be my issue lately. Sexies eating zoas, stomatellas eating coralline.

How are ya likin' the Hydor Pico Evo? Is it quiet? Might pick one up soon...

Nice tank btw!

I love my hydor pump. It isn't loud at all. It has definitely helped make a better flow throughout the tank. That plus the ac70 is perfect in my experience. Thanks for the compliment, I'll enjoy watching your tank thread as well.

brandolando4

Hey Josh, i love the little hammer(I think thats a hammer maybe torch?? lol) You working this saturday evening??

Archived