inTank Media Baskets

Jgpicos Pico

jgpico

Picked up a couple more corals today. I got two ricordias, as always im not sure as to an id for either right now so if you know please let me know. I took the best pictures i could with my phone but as always the pics dont show the color that there is in real life. Anyways enjoy, let me know what you think. :)

2010-12-19183519.jpg

2010-12-19183542.jpg

2010-12-16123610.jpg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

zoa's will handle swings in things like sg & temp better than most. so looking to the lighting first would be my thought.

The pink mushroom is a Yuma and it doesn't seem to be in the best of condition.

I just put it in my tank earlier today so I think it is still kinda angry. Does it look bleached to you?

zoa's will handle swings in things like sg & temp better than most. so looking to the lighting first would be my thought.

Hey bitts that is what im thinking as well. I think im going to raise the light and find a spot with more shade. I have heard of the screen method for acclimating to the light but will have to do some more research on this method. Any other suggestions?

not really the screen can work quite well. but honestly I don't keep zoa's so I'd just be talking out my @$$. but I do know from the few I've had is they may be producing more mucus than normal if the flow is different, well lower, than before. but really I suspect the lights. other than that just watch the water chemistry they can be mean little buggers when they start releasing chemicals to play, can you top this, with the other corals.

not really the screen can work quite well. but honestly I don't keep zoa's so I'd just be talking out my @$$. but I do know from the few I've had is they may be producing more mucus than normal if the flow is different, well lower, than before. but really I suspect the lights. other than that just watch the water chemistry they can be mean little buggers when they start releasing chemicals to play, can you top this, with the other corals.

Can i top this??? not sure i know what you mean.

The only coral that is releasing any mucus at this point is the new yuma that i just put in the tank yesterday. im hoping it starts looking better by the time i get off work. right now its just shriveled and angry looking. should i be doing anything to the tank when i see the corals release any of the mucus? being that its a 3 gallon i dont want anything to get too crazy.

no you should be good for now since there just getting settled. but down the road it might be something to watch, zoa's actually have some of the strongest chemicals at their disposal & in the small volume it may build up a little more. so it just some thing to be aware of when everything is healthy. if things seem off or the water makes you itchy its time for that extra wc. the yuma may do that for awhile, though you know that.

edit: sorry missed some of your post. yes if down the road they start putting out an unusual amount of mucus its time for the WC.

Thanks bitts. I think the new yuma i got was letting off a large amount of mucus becuase it was dying. I should have know that when i bought it that it didnt look right. Oh well you live and you learn. Unfortunately i had to toss the yuma today, ill do a water change tomorrow and then i think i am going to order some frags. dont know who to get them from though....any suggestions?

what kind of frags do you want? some good packs going for sale on ebay for $150 shipped. got one for my 10 gal, lots of different corals that normally cost way more than $5 a frag. thats if you want huge variety.

if you want several frags of just a few things the Mr. Coral has a good $10 section on his site. lots of other sources too.

Don't forget CCritters has a nice 10 pack of zoas for like $50 and some nice shroom and ric packs as well. I will order from her if I'm not happy with the other LFS.

I was lookin all over the place today mapping out my attack and decided ill probably start out with some mrcoral frags for now. Im not gonna lie im a little hesitant with adding anything else since my zoas are giving me a hard time and the yuma i bought already bit the dust. Im really loving the ricordia i got and will be doing a small ric garden and some more zoas, definitely a frag of darth maul zoas since im a star wars kinda guy lol. Plus i want to do some sps in the future. or you can send me your unwanted frags lol

I believe I've read that Yumas are harder to keep the Florida rics or is it the other way around? Do you have any charcoal in your filter? I understand that activated charcoal helps get the nastys out of the water during coral warfare.

I believe I've read that Yumas are harder to keep the Florida rics or is it the other way around? Do you have any charcoal in your filter? I understand that activated charcoal helps get the nastys out of the water during coral warfare.

I need to get some more chemi pure elite. The last one i got would not rinse out at all and just kept releasing #### it in the water so i took it out...whats the best way to rinse it? Or do i just need to sit there and rinse it for a couple hours? lol

Well i came home and noticed that i have some kind of really bright green algae growing on the rocks. Its not hair algae or slime algae, its really bright green and is only on the rocks. I remember reading somewhere that sometimes coraline starts as a really bright green and turns pink or purple. Is this true? My rock is also full of spots of pink and purple. Coraline is definitely growing but now i have this...help lol

should i ramp up my clean up crew?

2010-12-21233322-1.jpg

for whatever reason the picture doesnt show how bright green it actually is. Its even a different color on my camera than what you can see here. any suggestions are welcome and needed. thanks

thesmallerthebetter
Well i came home and noticed that i have some kind of really bright green algae growing on the rocks. Its not hair algae or slime algae, its really bright green and is only on the rocks. I remember reading somewhere that sometimes coraline starts as a really bright green and turns pink or purple. Is this true? My rock is also full of spots of pink and purple. Coraline is definitely growing but now i have this...help lol

should i ramp up my clean up crew?

2010-12-21233322-1.jpg

for whatever reason the picture doesnt show how bright green it actually is. Its even a different color on my camera than what you can see here. any suggestions are welcome and needed. thanks

its hard to tell from the pic, but i frequently see a type of coraline in my systems that is green. it often grows fairly quickly but not usually on the rocks, more the glass.

is your existing clean up crew eating it? if they are it isnt coraline.

adding more CUC doesnt really alleviate the issue if it is really a nuisance algae, best thing for nasty algae is water changes and less food.

Welp i woke up this morning and most of that green algae is gone. I also raised my light up last night to where it is about 21 inches above the sandbed. This morning my zoas were actually starting to open which is a great sign since they have been pretty much closed since i got them. I think that it is becuase i raised the light a couple inches. I never thought that leds could be this strong. Im going to do a water change tonight and hopefully get some chemi pure in there, but how do you recommend rinsing it out? Last time i tried it never rinsed out and that was after about an hour lol. what am i doing wrong?

The LFS where I bought some zoas and palys has Darth Mauls for like 15 a polyp.

No way! I cant find them anywhere. i collect darth maul stuff so this is a must lol. I wish i had a lfs that carried stuff like that. All the stores here are kinda lame with frags. Sucks!

I'm pretty lucky I guess, we have 3 LFS and 2 box stores (Petco and Petland) that carry marine stuff.) I think I'll probably like the smaller one I bought stuff at today than the other 2. I know I don't like 1 of them because they pretty much ignored me and then the one guy that did talk to me didn't know much. The other LFS where I bought my CUC is huge (4000 sqft and mainly tanks) but they have an interesting idea of variable pricing that I don't like being used on me.

$15 a polyp is insane pricing >:(

Good or bad? I thought pretty good, am I wrong? He doesn't have many zoas or palys though :( and only 1 ric but he's willing to frag just about anything.

He has a beautiful plate coral but he says it's hyper aggressive and actually moves quite a bit, he currently has it in time out with a rock wall around it.

to me its very bad. especially if it doesnt make it... I personally dont like buying coral per polyp, i just buy by the bunch. gives my corals a chance to survive the initial break in into the tank and then grow. Since I am still a newb, I dont like spending too much money on one thing and run a big risk of my newbishness killing it lol.

other people dont mind paying $50+ for a polyp of some hornet zoas =/

Mr. Microscope

Darth Mauls look amazing under RBs. I'd say $15 is a good price. Especially if you can find one with a baby budding. I agree with Newman that it's tough buying by the polyp, but if you live somewhere where there's a market for corals and zoa/paly collectors, you can make your money back pretty easily.

Archived