Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jgpicos Pico

jgpico

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you better pray its not bryopsis...it looks like that to me but I cant get a size perspective on that shot, idk how thin those strands are.

Its really only on that one piece of rock would i be better off just yankin that rock out of there? It doesnt look like gha to me so i do think it might be bryopsis. What should i do? to be honest i hate to pull that rock cuase it is covered in coraline but it also has this algae and a couple aiptasia that i was going to take care of anywatys....

ok see if the little green algal strands growing off the rock have any sort of feathery structure to them. if the do have pinnate "branches" branching out from the main stem then its the dreaded bryopsis. the algae is sometimes too young to show that feathery structure tho. but you should be able to see it on the longer strands.

if its bryopsis there are two ways I recommend you combat it. one step is emerald crab and the second vital step is Kent tech M magnesium dosing to get your mag levels up in the 1600-1900ppm range and keep them there for around 2 weeks or longer if you dont see the algae dying and getting eaten. Thats how i killed it in my 3 gal pico.

so im almost 100% positive that its bryopsis...fml...i was planning on going to the lfs tomorrow for a snail and a hermit so should i add a small emerald to the mix? I thought they werent a good idea for this size tank. Also if i do end up dosing kent tech m should i wait to put anything in the tank?

of course dont put anything in the tank, the point is not to attack the algae and at the same time give it more nutrients to feed on....but aside from that yes dont get anything especially snails, they tend to hate raised mag levels a lot.

you can give the emerald away later if you think its too big for your size tank(though mine does fine in my pico. get a small one btw. He will do great in a 3gal if you feed him dried seaweed after you can visibly see that he has no algae to feed on. starvation and then turning on corals is the biggest problem for these in smaller tanks.

so i decided that i am just going to pull the rock with the algae out and leave it in a bucket with some water and a power head and no light for about a week and see how that works. i also picked up a couple members of my cuc today. i got a small nassarius snail, 2 dwarf ceriths and a little hermit. also picked us a nice size ball of chaeto to throw in the fuge. im going to do about a 50% water change tonight, first one i have done. the tank is coming along nicely. i think i might pick up my first frag of something tomorrow, what do you guys think? am i keeping a good pace?

I dunno about pace but it sounds like a plan :P

lmao i know i know this thread is the slowest and most boring thread ever lol! but its picking up pace lol. now that i have started putting stuff in i dont know how im going to be able to slow myself down. Plus its nice to see that you are showing interest in my thread or popping in every now and then, it lets me know im not just talking to myself and newman lol :lol:

anyways here is a couple pics of the cuc...

2010-12-14144858-1.jpg

2010-12-14151035.jpg

My posting will slow down when I go back to day shift! :P

or your posting will slow down cause your wife found out you ordered a light and you will be in trouble! lmao! :P

WOW jgpicos you tank is looking so nine for only being 15 days old i cant believe. do you think it has to do with you light??? i love how much purple your rocks have. I'm envy your tank right now.

Thanks montizuma i appreciate it. Honestly i just picked up that super purple rock from the lfs in hopes that it would help out with seeding my other rocks with coraline and hopefully it was working. unfortunately i had to yank that super purple rock out of there cause it had some green algae starting to grow on it and that is the last thing i need to happen is an algae outbreak. I think my biggest success with this tank has been me taking my time and trying to do things right the first time rather than cleaning up after making mistakes... i suggest you do the same with your new tank man its lookin sweet btw!

So i picked up some zoas today. Im going to need some help with an id on these guys. Ill post a pic once they open up but for now here is a pic of them at the lfs. If you have an id please let me know, im going through all the zoas on zoaid.com right now with no luck.

2010-12-15135934.jpg

I love your zoas! And lefty! Wish the nas snail would come out of the sand so I can actually see it. I have to say I am a little jealous cause my tank hasn't even started a cycle and our tanks are only 5 days apart. :tears:

But im happy your tank is coming along great!!

I just ordered my rkl from marine depot. I cant wait til it comes in becuase the coralife aqualight controller i have been using is garbage! My girlfriend keeps waking up and my light is on in the middle of the night no matter how many times i reset it and double and triple check that the time is correct. cant wait

I just ordered my rkl from marine depot. I cant wait til it comes in becuase the coralife aqualight controller i have been using is garbage! My girlfriend keeps waking up and my light is on in the middle of the night no matter how many times i reset it and double and triple check that the time is correct. cant wait

I was going to get that for you for your christmas present. Now I'm lost...

Why are you 2 posting to each other on a forum? :P A friend and his wife have computers next to each other, play the same online video game and will type to each other rather than just speaking out loud.

lmao i was at work she was at home, its not that bad. i think it would be a lot more ridiculous if we were right next to eachother lol. ok ok i thought it was kind of funny too!

Well the zoas that i got have been actin kinda funny...sometimes polyps will open all the way and other times they will stay closed. There are some polyps that havent opened at all. I have been checking my params and they all look good. Could it be the light that is throwing them off? they were under leds at the lfs and that is what i have them under... any advice here is welcome and needed. Thanks guys/gals

My hermit crab couldnt take being in such a boring tank anymore and commited suicide this morning. my girlfriend woke up and was trying to find him and couldnt find him anywhere. Im sure the last place she thought to look was the floor but that was the first place i looked...poor little guy had so much to live for. He will be missed :( anyways im still having some issues with the zoas. I have yet to see them all open. The only thing i can think of is my salinity. It never goes higher than 1.026 or lower than 1.024 but im battling with a faulty float switch. I was also thinking the light could be too much for them. They are about 16 inches away from the light but i didnt do any light acclimation since they were under leds at the lfs....can i get some suggestions or help? please

if they are a recent addition, i'd move them onto the sand bed and give them tons of time to acclimate.

ok ill move then to the sandbed but do you mean acclimate as far as lighting or water or both? i guess im just scared the light is too much for them but it shouldnt be.....right?

ok ill move then to the sandbed but do you mean acclimate as far as lighting or water or both? i guess im just scared the light is too much for them but it shouldnt be.....right?

sometimes they take a while to adjust. u might notice down the road that zoas tend to stay shorter and stuby in high lighting and longer with smaller polyps in low light conditions. Of course it all depends on the kind of zoa as well

Archived