Pod Your Reef

Rockryno's Bookshelf SPS Nano

rockryno

Nice tank! Your LED's are very cool! I'm hoping to upgrade to LED's so that I can keep SPS and give my tank a little bit more "life" to it. T5's fall a little flat for me.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

update from mid July:

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

duncan is recovering, new rics, "forest fire monti". bonsai acro, red bali starfish, everything is going well, but Im running out of room!

Awesome setup!! I'm starting a diy led setup based on your build, but with cool whites instead of neutral whites and spreading them. Good luck with the tank!!!

thanks for everyones positive comments. Good luck with your LED,. let me know how the cool whites do, maybe they wont be as purple.

thanks guys. I was hesitant about trying LEDs due to lack of good evidence that LEDs grew SPS well, but Im very pleased with how mine have been growing so far, my montis have doubled in size. One very nice side benefit Ive noticed over my other tank attempts with PC and MH lighting...almost no algae growth! In the 8 months ive had this, Ive cleaned my glass maybe 5 times max.

• 3 months later...

11/22/11

1year anniversary! Everything is growing like mad. I havent added anything new due to lack of space. My SPS have been doing very well under the LEDs. I havent changed any of the LEDs yet, although I am thinking of adding 2 ecoxotic panorama pros on either side of the main light to balance the color and get a little more coverage on the sides of the tank.

IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2850.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

thanks guys. Im looking around to find someone who can make my a custom sized tank for the shelf so i can get more room in there for everything. its really cramped right now. gotta start fragging things.

yea, once i got those sexy shrimp out of there the duncan came back substantially. The frogspawn has multiple new heads. Heres proof that LEDs grow SPS well too.

Oooo very cool tank. I love it in the bookshelf I was thinking about doing something like that to my 6.6 "bookshelf" tank.

Is maitinence hard? Do your books get wet ? :P

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice and simple! I'm guessing you ditched the 5 gal sump? Can you provide more details to as what you are running in the AC70, what salt you use, any dosing, water change schedule, etc.?

• 2 months later...

thanks guys. I decided not to do the 5 gal sump yet. I still have it laying around though in case I feel the urge for a project. In the AC70 i run a sponge filter and a ball of chaeto. I use the fish stores pre mixed salt water, but im thinking of trying my own. 1 gal water changes weekly. I toss a little Kent Marine Essential Elements in with the water change. Everything seems to be doing great with this schedule so far...

Mid February Update!

IMG_2915.jpg

Added an Ecoxotic Panorama Pro white/blue on top and it made a world of difference for the color! The tank is no longer purple! Looks like the new cool whites blended with my neutral whites to even things out. Man these pros get hot though! Working on a new fan idea...

IMG_2919.jpg

Otherwise, the tank is out of control. Everything is growing out and Ive had to frag a bunch of stuff already. After moving a few things around, ive given corals enough room for now. Sold my maxima clam to keep the tank requirements down while im traveling a bunch this spring/ summer.

IMG_2918.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

thanks guys! I got the heatsink from ebay. took a lot of searching to find one that would work. I dont know where it came from. Good luck!

Archived