ReefCleaners.org

December 2010 - Urbaneks

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

For December we're featuring Urbaneks and his 28 gallon nano reef!

featuredreef.jpg

Click the picture above to check out his reef profile! You can find Urbaneks' tank journal here in our Members Aquariums forum. Feel free to post any comments or questions you may have for Urbaneks, and he'll try his best to answer them.

Congrats, definately a good looking tank.

CONGRATS.. Looking good there!

Many tanks for the preview. I'm very excited to see my tank featured here.

Nice tank. Congrats!

One question. How do you keep the pistol shrimp from digging everywhere and specially from dumping sand on your ricordeas? I too had pistol/goby pair and ended up selling them because of too much digging. Do they have a ready made home? Appreciate if you can share some info.

Nice looking tank.Not bad 1 year to the day you joined and TOTM.

That is a great observation. Would not have every caught that. Thank to everyone for the views and kind words.

Nice tank. Congrats!

One question. How do you keep the pistol shrimp from digging everywhere and specially from dumping sand on your ricordeas? I too had pistol/goby pair and ended up selling them because of too much digging. Do they have a ready made home? Appreciate if you can share some info.

I think it is luck. The day I put the two in the tank, the pistol dug a home out under the brain coral and the goby joined him. They've stayed put. The digging is very isolated to the one spot.

I am curious what your CUC is.

My CUC consists of the following

-- 4 Nassarius Snails

-- 2 Cerrith Snails

-- 10 Hermits

I consider my turkey baster as the best part of my CUC. I use it to remove debris from the live rock 2 times per week.

when you feed everyday do you target feed the corals or just put the mixture into the flow of the tank?

Typically, I will just put the mix in the tank and let it circulate. Perhaps once per week, I will target feed. Either way, I turn off the return pumps and only run the pump that is in the display to that the food is moved around the tank but does not get filtered.

Very Nice tank! What is the dimensions of your cube? I have a 20" cube an it is 34g. I haven't come across a 28g cube before...

Dimensions are (L) 18" x (W) 22.25" x (H) 20.50"

I think what I like best about this tank is that it looks so well planned. I mean, you couldn't plan on that BTA being in the perfect spot, but all the other corals look like their location on the rock completely compliments their growth patterns.

I think what I like best about this tank is that it looks so well planned. I mean, you couldn't plan on that BTA being in the perfect spot, but all the other corals look like their location on the rock completely compliments their growth patterns.

I appreciate this comment. Every time that I've bought a coral, I have a place in mind for it to go. I'm also very careful to select frags that are not on plugs and can easily be attached to the rock work in the area that I want to put it in. Thanks for noticing.

Stunning reef you have there! Well deserved.

Beautiful tank! Nice work Urbaneks.

Congratulations Urbaneks! I saw your tank before and remember how sharp it looked. Only a year old, that's incredible!

Thank you!

Archived