Cultivated Reef

AIO trashcan Is Down (~2 years) From Nov 2010 to Dec 2012

NoChikenStrips

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoChikenStrips

Update on my two Mandarins(green and spotted)

I had to give my Green Mandarin away. Recently the two Madarins in my tank have been fighting a lot. The spotted Mandarin is being a b*tch. I fear the constant kissing/pecking will not benefit either in the long run. She now resides happily in my buddy's tank.

Long story short, I wanted to get the Spotted Mandarin out, but i couldn't catch it without tearing the tank apart. Though I managed to get the green on easy.

Parting shot

20111205-DSC_0184.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
NoChikenStrips

A few submissions for newagereefs' photo contest.

Purple trees

DSC_0676.jpg

Fish, Star, and Thorns

DSC_0582.jpg

Dark, everything is so dark

DSC_0655.jpg

Just another reef in Lincoln Nebraska

DSC_0656.jpg

i wish I saw this before I just setup my 33L frag tank. would have been nice to hide the skimmer tank. Maybe i will make one that is just held in place by a rock or magnet or something.. just to cover up the unsightly pump/return from the skimmer

NoChikenStrips

After 8 months of "under-feeding", I've finally upgraded from that chitty SeaClone 100

IMG_20120107_175527.jpg

I'm still getting used to the size of this thing. It's pretty big.

IMG_20120107_175838.jpg

IMG_20120107_175942.jpg

I got this Eshopps PSK-100H in yesterday and i'm running it on the wet side. Great skimmer for the price so i don't need to say a whole lot. Though there are a few minor issues that i want to point out.

First, one of the bracket shipped unattached. The bottom one out of the 2 that holds the intake tube. There were no damage present on the box it came in and packaging was good. This had to be a defect from eshopps or mishandled from the online retailer. Either way, I had to wait a few hours for the glue to dry before setting it up. You know how impatient people can get when they've just received something in the mail; this small defect can be a frustrating setback.

Second, prior to start up, I gave it a good look-over. After taking out the needle wheel, I noticed a few burs that require trimming. Also the venturi port had some burs/plastic shavings that require removal. These are the only minor issues i saw. Micro bubbles are still present but very minimal. Maybe a few more days for breaking in.

Skimmate; 30 hours after initial setup.

IMG_20120107_175555.jpg

IMG_20120107_175545.jpg

NoChikenStrips

48 hours after initial setup.

IMG_20120108_123856.jpg

IMG_20120108_125008.jpg

Yes i know, my tank is pretty nasty. I haven't had a water change in a while and went skimmerless/carbonless for the past month. It also went through a mini cycle/crash/bacteria bloom. Whatever it was, the tank was cloudy for a few days. Lesson learned; Don't have too many people over, don't get chitty drunk, don't let girls near your tank, and don't leave the lights on over it's intended light duration just to show off to your guest.

• 2 weeks later...

nice tank and those eshopps are work horses! I have the psk-75 version and I also get that skimmate every 2 days, my chaeto stopped growing because of this lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived