Pod Your Reef

AIO trashcan Is Down (~2 years) From Nov 2010 to Dec 2012

NoChikenStrips

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoChikenStrips

OK so i don't know what to do with these guys. I have a feeling they will become invasive.

For the time being, i've put them all on one mound to isolate them.

20110831-20110831-DSC_1388.jpg

My friend's idea is to see which one will come out the winner. Cloves vs Palys vs GSP vs xenia(back side) vs zoas. I am going to vote for the GSP.

Feel free to comment.

Great tank man. By the way, that back chamber was a great idea and looks awesome :bowdown: !!

I noticed that you added a couple of different paly frags. Be very careful with this type of palys as they grow pretty fast and can be very invasive.

20110720-DSC_0203.jpg

20110831-20110831-DSC_1375.jpg

NoChikenStrips
Great tank man. By the way, that back chamber was a great idea and looks awesome :bowdown: !!

I noticed that you added a couple of different paly frags. Be very careful with this type of palys as they grow pretty fast and can be very invasive.

Thanks man. No kidding those things are invasive. I keep them on the sandbed only. Learned my lesson :D

Wow such an ingenious idea for using the trashcan to make an AIO! I'm almost tinkering with that idea for my 50G custom build... Except I think I'd rather have a corner one (if possible) because the tank isn't that wide...

How wide is your 40B? I'm gonna have 16" to play with front to back.

40B are 36x18x16. I just ordered one :happy: I love the AIO idea here and might possibly steal it :ninja:

Haha thanks Joel. I might possibly steal this too... But then again, I might just go for drilled. Dun dun dunnnn

NoChikenStrips
40B are 36x18x16. I just ordered one :happy: I love the AIO idea here and might possibly steal it :ninja:

As always, feel free :D

Haha thanks Joel. I might possibly steal this too... But then again, I might just go for drilled. Dun dun dunnnn

Drill it! Honestly the only reason i went with the trashbin was because 1/4 inch black acrylic was out of my budget and this is only temporary.. I'm living off ramen noodles with alot bills to pay. I couldn't justify paying 35 bucks for black acrylic when i can spend 5 dollars on a trashbin. I will probably end up drilling and running a sump in the future.

Again, thank everyone for the positive comments as i thought this was a stupid and ghetto idea in the beginning.

Happy Labor Day weekend and stay labor free :P

NoChikenStrips

Bristle worm vs Dendro.

This is what happens when you try to steal food...............................

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

....................................you actually get away with it

NoChikenStrips
lol..nice capture. One of my bristleworms almost got killed by my plate coral.

is yours a long tentacle or short? My short tentacle fungia is more aggressive and is known to eat snails, but then again so are all of my LPS.

These bristle worms are pretty tough! They've escaped death before with my Bullseye that can eat whole krill.

NoChikenStrips
I just have to say. Well Done. This is a very cost and effective AIO for a 40B. I like it :happydance:

Thank you very much. Too many bills to pay......sigh.

By the way, I love your stand. Especially with the four door design! Me....i have no doors....fail <_<

is yours a long tentacle or short? My short tentacle fungia is more aggressive and is known to eat snails, but then again so are all of my LPS.

These bristle worms are pretty tough! They've escaped death before with my Bullseye that can eat whole krill.

mine is a short tentacle.Those little buggers are hard to kill... he managed to escape the tentacles without being stung to death..

NoChikenStrips

Ok so i'm coming out of the closet.....something like that. I have worms! This is my second run in with them. First with my bc14. Only failing to dip newly acquired frags many times, i have now learned my lesson. I promise. I've tried the natural approach and failed. It ended up costing more time/money than just using Flatworm Exit in the first place.

So...the natural approach. Good husbandry+more water changes+less feeding+skimmer+manual removal+sixline wrasse+3 months. Though they were kept under control with this method, they were still subsisting in a fairly large population week after week. I am a firm believer in using Flatworm exit as it is the least ambitious way. Best if treated early before an outbreak.

A little more history as someone here must be curious if i even have fish in my tank. And the answer is no. But at one time in history i've had 8. I had a dwarf false percula and a purple dottyback that was transferred from my bc14. The dottyback went missing in the back chambers "beyond" so that was it for him. My percula was alone for a few weeks and things were peaceful.

Then came the flatworms which i knew exactly who and how they arrived from along with many other pest. Shame on me for not dipping my frags. I decided to try a sixline. Due to the aggressive nature of sixlines, i had to introduce it last. So i had to compile my "fish army" before i could introduce a sixline. I threw in a stripped blenny(poison fang), a neon jawfish, a damsel, 2 green chromis, and a sixline all in the course of a few days. Where is the logic here? Little to none. There are some, but mainly because i just wanted some fish.

Bad idea! More food, more bioload. Oh you know...........Hair algea and even more flatworms. El yay!!! Pi$s poor planning and lack of experience. Eventually i kept the sixline and sold/trade/gave the others away. Flat worms were persisting in large numbers. I noticed a friend of mine had a sixline which wiped out his FW problems visually. Ha, jokes on him. His flatworms came back within a week or two. I sold mine and borrowed his thinking it would make a change. Still nothing.

I took out the sixline last week and dosed Flatworm exit today.

This is how fast they repopulate in one week without a natural predator..

DSC_0265.jpg

DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0267.jpg

Long story short. Get a sixline if you really want one, NOT TO RID YOUR FLATWORM PROBLEMS!!!

NoChikenStrips

new additions

I once said i hated fish......I lied.

Spotted Mandarin(wild, eats frozen)

No photo available because its hiding somewhere

Green Mandain(wild).

DSC_0302.jpg

Lawnmower

DSC_0284.jpg

Ugly Leather.......

DSC_0297.jpg

Pom Pom Pom Pom Pom Pom

DSC_0285.jpg

Stupid purple paly

DSC_0281.jpg

enjoy :)

lol, ugly leather, and stupid purple paly. :lol:

They both look really nice though, even if I would never put a leather in my own tank. :P Those things are just so... bland.

NoChikenStrips

More pictours...

Two female mandarins. They do spend an auful lot of time with each other......Plotting to kill each other probably.

They graze together throughout the day. Things seem peaceful right now.

20110915-DSC_0314.jpg

20110915-DSC_0312.jpg

20110915-DSC_0305.jpg

20110915-DSC_0303.jpg

20110915-DSC_0301-2.jpg

20110915-DSC_0299-2.jpg

20110915-DSC_0293.jpg

Hello mister chicken strips-i have come to praise your ingenuity in regards to your trashcan design and to compliment you on the fine looking mandarin dragonets you have there-keep up the good work.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived