ReefCleaners.org

Getting rid of red and green hair algae

Fluffeh

Hi, what is the best way I can get rid of my red hair algae (and some green) that has infested some of my live rock? I have 2 clowns, a starfish, and a bunch of snails/crabs, tanks been running for about 1.5 months now. Can someone direct me on how to do this?

does this sound good...

remove the live rock into a saltwater mix bucket

use a toothbrush and scrub away the algae

yank out any algae left

rinse off in freshwater

put back into tank

am i missing something here (i really DO NOT want the algae to spread)? is it okay to just pull the snails off the rocks when i take the LR out?

thank you!

Yes, you can pull snails off but be careful not to hurt them - They can hold on pretty tightly. As far as hair algae, if it's on your rocks, it'll most likely come back with your current course of action

It depend, if it is a hairy pink cotton like algae then you should avoid spreading it and if you use a brush you must make sure you get it all the way to the roots. Sometime it is difficult. Mexican turbo snails eat the hair algae.

Problem with the pink or red hair algae is that if the slightest bit take off it will anchor itself and spread like crazy even faster. It is very important not to spread it. Freshwater will probably not even kill it, just slow it down and it will probably kill your good bacterias in your liverock so you will have dead rock.

I would pull it out of the tank, put it in some saltwater, try to scrub off as much as possible and then rinse it well in saltware and then add a few mexican or pacific turbo snails.

The turbo snails eat it like there is no tomorrow and they eat it all the way to the root so when they get a patch, it's not going to come back at that spot unless another bit anchor itself at that spot.

It's a VERY TOUGH algae to get rid of and constant control is required and best done with something eating it away.

does this sound good...

remove the live rock into a saltwater mix bucket

use a toothbrush and scrub away the algae

yank out any algae left

rinse off in freshwater

put back into tank

just my 2 cents here.... it's coming from somewhere, either bad water quality (not using RO filter) or not enough water changes etc....could be possibly getting too much food. i know for the past 3-4 months i've been using rod's food and if you use too much it will spread green hair algae and cyano like there is no tomorrow... As far as the snails go, they DO eat hair algae, but if you're feeding the tank too much they will go right past the hair algae for something tastier, like left over foods or diatoms... Not all snails will eat the hair algae, but if you cut the feeding down a large amount then the snails will be forced to eat the hair algae... kind of like if you were at home, just because you can eat dried tasteless oatmeal, doesn't mean you're going to if there's a box of cupcakes or fresh cooked steaks on the counter. it's about availability, snails are going to take the easiest, best tasting meal they can find.... Also....the hair algae CAN be controlled with proper care, the most important factor here is not letting it get out of hand too fast.... do you what you're planning, but stay on top of water quality, keep your CUC up to par, and cut down on your feeding and the algae will stay in check...regardless though, it is impossible to totally eradicate hair algae, it will come around is some form or another, but if you have a good CUC you'll never see it get any larger than a BB.

Specifically, in my experience, florida ceriths, astrea, turbo snails and emerald crabs are the best at devouring that kind of algae. Emerald crabs are probably the most effective, but they can potentially eat coraline algae too. There are some larger options like sea hares and some fish if you have a larger tank with a bigger hair algae problem.

• 2 weeks later...

little old but I have 1 emerald and 2 mexican turbos in my 15 gallon and they haven't touched my gha :(, was thinking about doing the same thing as op said as far as scrubbing it off in a WC bucket.

If you can find a chiton they eat algae like crazy! I think one of the sponsors on this site sells them. I had 1 in my 55g and he was like a Zamboni on my rocks and glass!

little old but I have 1 emerald and 2 mexican turbos in my 15 gallon and they haven't touched my gha :(, was thinking about doing the same thing as op said as far as scrubbing it off in a WC bucket.

Make sure what you have is GHA and not byropsis. In my tank, those critters destroy GHA but have very little interest in byropsis. Both algaes can look similar until you get up close.

I did not realize that the bull dozers (LOL), turbo snails eat green hair algae. Learn something every day..

I really wish folks would stop saying that different snails and crabs eat GHA. No snail/crab that I know of will eat GHA for sure. It is all hit and miss with snails and crabs and just because it worked for one person doesnt mean it will for others. If you want something that will eat GHA for sure get a sea hare. Not trying to be an a$$ just reminding everyone.

You can easily get a smaller sea hare in your BC29. Just make sure to get them out when the GHA is gone.

The pic is not great but I am going to say GHA.

Now for my standard reply.

copy and paste from numerous other post on this site

my .02 as I tried every type of cleanup crew snail, crabs, etc and they are all very hit and miss. If GHA a sea hare will wipe it out in a week.

Both will take time to eliminate. Check the age of you light bulbs.

if GHA

up the water changes using DI water

cut down of feeding

GFO in a reactor. BRS reactor for the win

Manual removal

Sea Hare for natural removal. dont let them starve though

If bryopsis

cut down of feeding

up the Mag using Kent Tech M to between 1800-2000

Manual removal

lettuce nudibranch for natural removal dont let them starve though

Edited by jfarabaugh

My suggestion is to do a 2-3 day blackout. Let the ambient light flow into the tank. Feed as usual. But, turn of lighting for 2-3 days. And keep the fuge light on and let Chaeto or some macro algae absorb all the nutrients. It worked for me. If you are worried, just do 2 day blackout.

I have a BC14 with the middle chamber as a fuge. I have a 3W cheap led spot light shining from the back (paint scraped off). My chaeto grows like mad. No hair algae for me.

Edited by lohitha
I really wish folks would stop saying that different snails and crabs eat GHA. No snail/crab that I know of will eat GHA for sure. It is all hit and miss with snails and crabs and just because it worked for one person doesnt mean it will for others. If you want something that will eat GHA for sure get a sea hare. Not trying to be an a$$ just reminding everyone.

You can easily get a smaller sea hare in your BC29. Just make sure to get them out when the GHA is gone.

The pic is not great but I am going to say GHA.

Now for my standard reply.

copy and paste from numerous other post on this site

my .02 as I tried every type of cleanup crew snail, crabs, etc and they are all very hit and miss. If GHA a sea hare will wipe it out in a week.

Both will take time to eliminate. Check the age of you light bulbs.

if GHA

cut down of feeding

Manual removal

Sea Hare for natural removal. dont let them starve though

If bryopsis

cut down of feeding

up the Mag using Kent Tech M to between 1800-2000

Manual removal

lettuce nudibranch for natural removal dont let them starve though

My post clearly states "in my experience". I have seen them do it in my tank directly, as in eat hair algae off the glass. Does that mean someone else may not? Sure. I know mine eat it for sure.

Chill.

Sea hares are too big for smaller aquariums. I am not sure a temporary biological answer is better than a permanent likely solution like the algae eaters listed. Even if not 100%, adding snails that you can keep is better than adding something you know you will have to remove or see it starve to death. However, if you think its worth it, its definitely a more guaranteed solution.

My post clearly states "in my experience". I have seen them do it in my tank directly, as in eat hair algae off the glass. Does that mean someone else may not? Sure. I know mine eat it for sure.

Chill.

Sea hares are too big for smaller aquariums. I am not sure a temporary biological answer is better than a permanent likely solution like the algae eaters listed. Even if not 100%, adding snails that you can keep is better than adding something you know you will have to remove or see it starve to death. However, if you think its worth it, its definitely a more guaranteed solution.

I usually don't reply but just to clarify…..

The user asking the question took your post as they eat GHA hands down. Hence why I was responding to his post and not yours. So I am "chilled" and was not going after you or I would have quoted you. Keep in mind that verbal tone (in writing) is very hard to determine. Basically I was reiterating your “in my experience” to the user and I am sorry that you took offense.

You can absolutely keep smaller to medium size sea hares in a BC29 (A small sea hare isn’t much bigger then a large size turbo). I kept one for 3 months with absolutely no issues in my BC29. Once he got through my GHA in about 1.5 weeks I feed him seaweed sheets attached to a rock. I kept him longer than the 1.5 weeks because I find them to be very interesting. I took him back to the LFS only because I was going to be out of town repeatedly and would have been unable to feed him. I know my local reef club and some of my LFS pass sea hares around in order to clean up GHA quickly. But other housekeeping measures need to be put in place or it will come right back. See the rest of my previos post.

Yes a proper CUC will keep the tank clear of debris, waste, uneaten food, etc which can lead to algae issues if left in the tank. But if a person goes out and buys a dozen different snails and crabs with the hopes that they eat the algae outbreak and they don't it will only increase the bioload in the tank and may cause more algae. So if you are going to get something to eat it you should try and get something that you KNOW will eat it.

At the end of the day this hobby is the most opinionated hobbies I have ever been involved with so take all suggestions with a grain of salt.

-Justin

Edited by jfarabaugh

Yea def not byprosis I've seen that one. I am going to scrub the rock tonight, leave it dark for two days and see how it goes from there. I can't really cut the feedings anymore then I do, only feed every 3 days.

• 1 month later...

i have a 24g and i was sick and tired of my hair algae. so i got a sea hare today. As soon as i put him in (5 min ago) he went straight to the algae, and is eating it away. the sea hare is pretty light so i am a bit worried he will get stuck in the power head...but we will see...

i dont think it will take him more than a week to eat all the hair algae growing on my back wall.

EASILY the best thing i have ever bought to eat hair algae.

let me add, that i used to have a emerald green crab, and he was attacking my fish. so no more crabs in my tank.

i have a 24g and i was sick and tired of my hair algae. so i got a sea hare today. As soon as i put him in (5 min ago) he went straight to the algae, and is eating it away. the sea hare is pretty light so i am a bit worried he will get stuck in the power head...but we will see...

i dont think it will take him more than a week to eat all the hair algae growing on my back wall.

EASILY the best thing i have ever bought to eat hair algae.

let me add, that i used to have a emerald green crab, and he was attacking my fish. so no more crabs in my tank.

:D

Just kep an eye on the little guy as the GHA gets less and less they can starve pretty quick. They are an eating and pooping machine as you will soon find out.

You will find that they are also a joy to watch.

• 3 weeks later...
:D

Just kep an eye on the little guy as the GHA gets less and less they can starve pretty quick. They are an eating and pooping machine as you will soon find out.

You will find that they are also a joy to watch.

does the poop look like white small round cylinders ...kinda like eraser leftovers? i see it floating around with my tank and the fish take turns eating and then spitting it back out.

Edited by yaridong
CoralWhisperer

Of course it is imperative that you limit the nutrients the hair algae is feeding on . . .

I havent read thru all the replies, but Im sure its all the standard stuff . . .

Just wanted to show you that snails(mainly turbos) WILL help the situation as far as getting whats already there out . . .

Here is a patch on a rock at the top of my tank, its roughly 6x6".

Its looking brown because Im starving it thru WCs and chemipure elite.

But, you can definately see where the turbos have been chomping . . .

Its been about 36 hours now since I put the turbos directly onto the rock, and 2 of them havent left it.

turbofeast.jpg

Edited by CoralWhisperer

i hear peroxide does wonders getting rid of the hair algae .. it oxidizes it and doesnt harm the rock or corals that are on it :) ( just do it outside of the tank and give it a quick rinse before sticking it back in the tank)

a good working snail is always a plus though