Top Shelf Aquatics

Blue Spot Jawfish Disease

glang

I have some information for the folks that are having the disease showing up in blue spots. I have 2 of them and one recently became lethargic and stopped eating. It began showing signs of whitening on most of its body. Labored breathing as well. I promptly moved it to a hospital tank and started thinking about a course of action. First, I did a 15 minute freshwater dip. It didn't show much sign of stress, so that was promising. Next, I lowered the sp. gravity down to about 1.015 to reduce stress on the fish a bit. This may or may not really matter, but it is what i did. Next, I began treating with erythromycin and 1 dose of Maroxy for possible fungus. I continued this treatment for 2 days(maroxy for only the 1 day). The fish continued to not eat and just remain lethargic. It continued having labored breathing the entire time. On the third day, I assumed the erythromycin wasn't working, so I began with marycin two. After 8 hours in maracyn 2, the fish has built a small burrow with some crushed coral I placed in the tank. He seems alert and has began eating readily. This is certainly a good sign, but it is still up in the air. I am debating what to do next. He still seems to have labored breathing, so I am wondering if a second freshwater dip or maybe a formalin dip would be appropriate. My rationale is that maybe the doses of antibiotics (for gram positive and gram negative) has began working on the possible secondary bacterial infections, but maybe a primary problem is parasitic. I am up for suggestions if anyone has any information on the subject. I will share my experiences as time goes on. I am determined to find out what is going on here. If the fish does end up dying, I plan to do a full autopsy and work up. I do bio research with mice, so all the tools are at my disposal. Any suggestions on what to look for would also be helpful if anyone has any info. I am particularly interested in what everyone thinks should be done next.

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance.

If you think it's parasitic (intestinal) you would treat with pipzine or hex-mit. I remember reading that the scaleless fish are more sensitve to meds, so I'm not sure how much more treatment the poor little guy is up for :(

• 16 years later...

This is what ive learned I use prazipro and bifuran but never together i use paraguard for the skin and bifuran for any infections and then prazipro for any parasites.   ive dealt with this before its with the same fish im on my sec. Infection i stay away from fresh dips cause usually its bsj disease. Is the culprit. Freshwater just stresses the fish out. Ive had outbreaks of bacteria that take hold quicker than u can stop it. this one was kicked up by cleaning rocks. im still learning so i will take anything uve learned. Anything that works for u may help me but keep temps low and substrate clean. Best of luck thanks for the info