Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp ID

bneyman

So I should get rid of it? I've never really heard of majanos before, so I need to do some research but the general consensus is they are bad. I've had him for several months, never reproduced or seemed to have any problems. I didn't realize unwanted pests came in such nice colors... been feding him mysis when I feed my tank, he loves them...

BNEYMAN . I have one, it has moved once, and hasn't grown much at all.. I haven't seen it multiply, but I am sure it can. The only thing I believe in getting rid of are aptasia, and bastard yellow polyps. they sting everything!

Doesn't look like a Mojano. Looks like a "tulip"... maybe a small difference to most people, but Tulip anemones are much more well-behaved, and generally harm nothing in the tank.

That looks just like this though. This is the majano pic from wetwebmedia... That's why I asked.. is this just a Mis I.D. is there really such thing as a "Tulip Anemone" or is it a regional I.D. I would be interested to find out. Again.. My search yeilded not much info... agreed we need a better pic, but this one looks like jdsabins.. ( and mine for that matter)

pest_anem.jpg

Angel, I am not talking about bneymans.. I am asking someone to find a tulip anemone I.D. as I have never seen one... I can only find majano's... and I am thinking tulip anemone may be just a regional "friendly" name these pests have been given. They are pretty, and I haven't done a thing about mine, cuz I like the way it looks.

here's another pic, tried to edit a little... Looks to me more like the 1st one birdman posted from webwetmedia... still think it's very pretty and will continue to enjoy it unless there is a reason to get rid of it. So far it's been in my nano for 4 months or so and no harm or signs or reproducing. Sure likes to eat though.. My cleaner will actually pull food out of it when he knows it's been fed. Literally yank it out of his mouth when the food is fully consumed by the polyp. No harm to shrimp yet...

bneyman. I am beginning to believe that the Tulip anemone has been mis I.D. 'ed and is in fact a Majano. I will send bob fenner , or someone over there at wet web media a well posed question and post the results... I have one in my tank and I like it as well...

thanks so much birdman, I think he's pretty cool too! very colorful and always eager to eat. I have nothing negative to say about this guy in the 4 months or so I've had him...like I said too, no sign of even trying to reproduce either, and doesn't bother the other tank residents...

looking forward to hearding your results....

Thanks,

Brad

• 2 weeks later...
FreeDoMangoR34

I also have got the same anemonie in my tank, my wholesaler said there were a kind of miniture anemonie as well as another type of shrrom. They gave me 2 to try out, and have had splited a few times and im left with 4 in my tank. They seem ok and has never stung anything. One of them are actually touch my clam, but seems ok since they have been in my tank for over a year. They are like normal anemonies, my male clowns loves to swim in them, so i guess its ok. On one of the Australian forums (FishProfiles.com) they have told me they are a kind of pest anemonie but doesnt do any harm to the tank mates.

Cheers

mango

Archived