Pod Your Reef

Laura's 15 Gallon *rimmed*

JerseyChick

I have no snails, except for 2 which less than a quarter inch bumble bee, and a half inch bumble bee... and then Leopold who got put in today...

Just found another pistol too... far tinier than the original and clearer green.. but also as far away as possible from tiny mantis hole on other end of tank

good thing i ordered the 110 and it's in transit ~ my mantis temporary home shall be here shortly

(The AC110 sump/fuge)

i also redid the pump in my biocube.. hahahahahaa my lil pump is blowing better than a hydor nano! Go ME!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets see how many survive he cycle and the mantis ~ I am growing fond of them, but we will see ~ the more I have the more I can breed and maybe send you more than 1

inspiring

post-move, I've been plotting to get a 15g or maybe 18g.

Now I'm thinking that the fun way to go is to keep the small tank running while I cycle a larger tank w/ some uncured rock

I love hitchhikers, and your descriptions make it sound fun.

Had me convinced too but then reefcleaners had a ridiculous sale on dry rock omgomgomg

BTW 15s are sexy :D

we could have a fun debate but in the long run, for reef health i think uncured is worth the extra few start up dollars

That's true but 30#s of rock for $50 sure sounds a lot better than the deal on live rock. I am kinda glad I did it though as I am going to need the 15 for a QT while I transfer my critters to their new abode. :D

I did it... I lied, today I brought home my first ever urchin, a very small blue tuxedo/pincushion urchin. It's name is Yogi ~ and it is AWESOME! So now with the leopard nassarius and Yogi, I have my tank getting ready till coral season (2011 or when ever after I deem the tank ready and stable enough)

I did it... I lied, today I brought home my first ever urchin, a very small blue tuxedo/pincushion urchin. It's name is Yogi ~ and it is AWESOME! So now with the leopard nassarius and Yogi, I have my tank getting ready till coral season (2011 or when ever after I deem the tank ready and stable enough)

Awesome! Though I can't remember did your tank finish it's cycle?

pretty much, all tests within normal range and my pistold, my other hiker urchin and all my anenome hikers as well as the gazillion crabs and strange colored pistol (not mantis ` thank god) are all doing well.

I dont feel its fish ready but it is CUC ready now

Meet my lil Yogi... a.k.a. Yora (my daughter wanted Yogi after naming it Yora ~ however I think the name Yora is cool as $hit... so I will refer to it as Yora)

Look how sweet and tiny Yora is on the full rock shot (all the way to the left of the rock)

and a hitcher crab (I am convinced is a teeny tiny pom pom but its like 1/3 of a centimeter body size hard to see if it's got pom poms)

post-37200-1291430615_thumb.jpg

post-37200-1291430772_thumb.jpg

post-37200-1291432174_thumb.jpg

post-37200-1291432275_thumb.jpg

[...]

Jerseychick... Ive been drinking wanna make out?

well i do have my naughty nurse lingerie on... so umm OK

Im in loveee......

drool

:lol:

In all seriousness, this tank looks like it's coming along great!

Ok J-Ranko, so there's a lil playing around here... It's all in good fun. But back to the tank ~

I am still awaiting my ac110 which was shipped thru FedEx and supposed to arrive December1st, however it being the 4th now - I have no idea when it will get here. I am debating using Kraylen's modification idea, but maybe trying to get a mangrove growing area within it. I don't know tho I still have to paint the brackets I added on to my sunpod to make it fit the 15 since 20's legs clearly don't stretch. (I in process of modification *accidentally* cut my left pointer finger with a razor down to the bone. Luckily I am right handed in all my tank cleaning activities so I haven't had the joy of saltwater in a deep wound yet)

I also am planning on adding a rubber weather stripping underneath the brackets where the metal will be touching the tank to lessen the stress of weighted metal on glass and securing it with size 10 ~ 3/4inch course thread screws and bolts. I am also seeking some 1/4 inch balsam wood to keep the spacing at rear bracket as it slides when moved to access top of the tank for RO top offs and vaccuuming up massive amounts of mystery poo.

Have I mentioned yet how much I love my Dremel? If I had been using that this whole time I never would have cut my finger...

I have the Dremel 4000, and the cutting kit, and a polishing kit for when I make my own jewelery (costume... I cant afford anything more than swarovski as gems)

Holy pods and hydroids.... got home from work and they are EVERYWHERE! literally thought I had a few star shaped glass chips till I looked closer at the hydroids and the pods are just friggin everywhere (like the mini micro white ones that look like lil shrimp and like walking on glass ~ not the ampipods I already spotted on the rock)

EVERYWHERE dude!

LOL I am gonna dremel up a cpvc "pod breeder/feeder" just to see how many of these lil dudes I can get in this tank

**think of pods as yummy little tank maggots that everyone likes to do nom noms on**

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a mandarin, thats kinda what I hope to prep for. Google had a few good ideas on how to feed them without letting other tankmates eat their food or get in their space (which I converted in my mind into cpvc tubing, dremel, small clam strip, styrofoam and fishing line ...) watching the leopard nassarius's wrestle with it was hysterical, to the point I gave them a small clam strip to share ~ I felt bad they were going ape $hit on this thing I created. I of course took video which I will youtube up and edit into this post... but this also seems to be a good test of who my meat eaters in the tank are. ( I will be watching my pod breeder tonight to see if anyone else tries to intrude it) So far ALL my crabs are very content grazing on some algea that came with the rock ~ and Yora is happier than a pig rolling in mud, she's eating up my diatom remains ( Yora is my true tank champ so far )

side note ~ G'damn leopard nassarius's are GOERGOUS! I love mine SOOO much!

links to come ~ some are a lil long but this is stuff (IMO) that you don't see everyday (please ignore my fd pager in the background of one of the videos, the dispatcher wouldn't shoosh LOL)

Here is my beautiful Yora (a.k.a. Yogi) look how well she cleaned the left side of where she is, currently she is working her way to the right. Apparently she is a perfectionist and is doing an amazing job :)

**video will not upload to youtube ~ WTF? **

so here is a picture of Leopold and Leonard until it does

post-37200-1291523700_thumb.jpg

post-37200-1291524004_thumb.jpg

Archived