Cultivated Reef

Laura's 15 Gallon *rimmed*

JerseyChick

I've officially convinced myself its that time again.

I have bought a 15 gallon tank, a 22 pound solid chunk of live rock (yes all one piece and not cemented or broken and partially covered in coraline, even has a ledge and a "swim thru hole") 10 pounds of arag alive fine sand, and a aqua clear 30.

Let the hard cycle begin!

CHEERS! Lets see what kind of critters come off the rock ~ so far I have spotted a bivalve... but I've only had the rock umm.... less than 6 hours and its a little foggy in there)

just a side note... this is my first non all in one tank, going from a 14 biocube to 15 aga (and I am loving not having chambers)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a regular 15 gallon tank ( 24 x 12 x 12 )

I need to get the pictures up from my cell phone.. This tank is gonna be a sight for sore eyes when it gets under way.

Hitch Hiker Update

~ smallest urchin I have ever seen ( half the size of a nickel )

~ tiny tannish pink hairy crab with large brown claw ~ EDIT - now have counted 2

~ small green crab with hairy legs and two lateral brown stripes down body

~ a gazillion small whitish clear crabs <2mm across that seem to have hairy legs and two darker white lateral stripes down the shell)

~ 3mm porcelain crab

~ several teeny barnacles

~ colonial hydroids

~ hydroids

~ 2 bumble bee snails

~ female egg bound rock crab

~ green pistol shrimp

~ bivalve that looks like an oyster

~ bivalve that looks like your typicall bivalve

~ red feather dusters

~ large slimy looking worm <-- I believe it is a peanut worm. approximately 4 inches long and half centimeter in girth

~ 7 of the most goergous hiker anemones 9unknown species)

~ afew tiny aiptasia (which will be elimiated tonite 11/20/10 via insulin syringe and lemon juice *who says being diabetic doesn't have advantages)

11/22/10 ** AND apparently something else that pooped all over my sand while I was at work today**

ppppplllllleeeeaaaasssseeee post pictures, I am wanting a AGA 15 gallon and will probably take the leap as soon as I get rid of my FW tank. I want to do a rimless softie tank.

wow that is one huge piece of LR. Whered ya get it at?

Local Fish Store had just got it in... when I saw it, I had to have it ~ no aquascaping, very sturdy no chance of rock slides, very porous (except every pore has some funky mini creature)

I am not adding a CUC till 2011, just so I can see what else is in this thing, and what beauty is yet to unfold. I kinda wanna build up pods too (havent seen any but lets hope)

And I am kicking myself for not painting the back. Guess I am gonna have to get some type of "back pattern" <-- BOO

Alright did some thinking about the background. Did NOT want a dark color, but wanted the wires "blocked" seeing one or two is bad enough on the inside. So I went with a light blue vinyl with a water ripple design. It isn't very opaque but it sets the "mood" for the type of design I am going for. Quite frankly I am rather pleased. I actually wanted to do a solid yellow in the back but when seen in person it was as hideous as the coral printed vinyls.

Can't wait to see what this looks like when I destruct the biocube and transfer my sunpod 20 over.

post-37200-1290215533_thumb.jpg

That rock and the background are pretty sweet. I think I am going to tear the top rim off of mine. There was another member on here who did it and said it turned out well.

I love the look of a rim less, but with a four year old who insists on keeping her two aquatic frogs ( both named Cricket ) on the adjacent table to my tank... I dont wanna risk her bumping it and the silicone getting loose ( I am a worry wart when it comes to my tank. It like becomes another child ) sorry started to ramble.

Thank you, So the background isn't too hideous? LOL I was almost debating throwing my uv sterilizer in, to prevent coralline from going wild. But until that takes place I will debate in my mind if I wanna let it grow on the back wall or if I should keep it to the rock. Ha almost said rockS.

Oh and if anyone is expecting me to post parameters... don't hold your breath ~ I am absolutely not rushing this tank ~ Its gonna be a slow uphill, but a well deserved wait. Maybe parameters around Christmas, cause I believe I have a shift off and will be bored with all the stores being closed.

I think I will be buying my new tank soon, once I get a real overflow for this tank. That way I can continue my handyman projects :D I just have to get rid of the 10 gallon I have where I want the new tank to go. Maybe I will make another sump... HAHA kidding this one was a pain in the ass on its own.

I like the look of a wall of coralline in the back, I think it's an accomplishment.

Wow and Ha.. forgot to post what I am doing with my tank.

I have used ro/di mixed to a salinity of 1.022. I have purchased an Aqueon Submersible Aquarium Heater, 100 Watt that I have programmed for 77 degrees. (mounted horizontally behind Godzilla) My sand bed is about 3/4 of a centimeter deep at its deepest. (learned my lesson in the past, deep sand beds are just nitrate factories, and I prefer to stick with just the illusion of a sand bed) Filter choice (at this time) is an Aqua Clear 30, circulation is care of a Koralia 1

Thoughts I am tossing around are:

~ throwing a chaeto ball in while cycling, to increase pod population while no one can eat em off.

~ when to start running skimmer

~ to light or not to light (leaning towards little to none tho at this point)

I vote no light and cheato ball. Hold off on the skimmer until you have heavy poopers.

What is that thing in the last pic, have you ID'd it yet?

So I've decided to live vicariously through your 15g because I am unable to set mine up at the moment. So it better be awesome, no pressure though.

Okay, maybe a little pressure.

I vote no light and cheato ball. Hold off on the skimmer until you have heavy poopers.

What is that thing in the last pic, have you ID'd it yet?

So I've decided to live vicariously through your 15g because I am unable to set mine up at the moment. So it better be awesome, no pressure though.

Okay, maybe a little pressure.

I have no clue what it is in the last picture. I have about 7 of them and they come out only at night, have a zoa like stalk (like thick and tannish and only embed the stalk/foot into deep crevices & they close up like zoas do when you hit them with light)

I also found a rock crab that the shell was about the size of the quarter and when I got HER out of her hiding hole and into my handy dandy net, she flipped on her top shell and I saw a gazillion black eggs under her. I did take pictures and then I gave her to another LFS that I know would put her in the refugium and not kill her ~ even tho they said if the babies hatched they would be another food source for the tank ~ I didn't want to take the chance of more rock crabs) harumph... karma is a dirty whore and no I refused to kill her, after all she is gonna be a momma, an evil large red eyed meat dwelling momma

Very nice! Which pet store did you get that rock from?

Absolutely Fish in Clifton... I LOVE them!

Just made some aiptasia ceviche (wow them lil fuggers come right off and everything with an insulin needle and lemon juice)

Attempting to locate camera chord to upload picturs at the moment ~ currently taking a room ripping apart search to write this while watching the elf and blasting halestorm's - "bet you wish you had me back" during the commercial breaks. maybe a glass of wine now too

watching the elf? You mean the movie?! I looove that movie! You may have to check my tank thread soon. I have updates soon!

I wonder what your hitchhikers are?

Archived