inTank Media Baskets

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

Since I can only send one PM every 5 minutes I wanted to post a friendly reminder that Voting has started for POTM and I would really appreciate it if you would Vote for Poe, just click the link in my sig.

Thanks! happy.gif

Sure candy as long as you vote for my picbiggrin.gif

That guy's crack dealer is making a fortune. blink.gif Do you have a pic of your light configuration over the tank?

Ha!

ATIReefbrite.jpg

Your SPS are all looking great hype! I think I had the same problem with stripping all the nutrients from the tank. I'm going much longer between carbon changes now and I'm feeding reef pearls and freeze dried cyclops every other day and my corals are looking and growing better than ever. Seems as if there is such a thing as too much filtration tongue.gif

Thanks ts!your new colonies look great as well. Yea i learned the hard way sps actually prefer dirty water as theres much more food to grab from the water column.When the water is too clean they actually begin to starve and look like crap. The trick is to keep the water "dirty" while still keeping it clean. I know that sounds contradictory but what i mean is if you can keep your tank well fed while keeping your nitrates and phosphates low to nearly undetectable your coral will thank you in the only way they know how.

I really like your rock work. I think for my tank I'm going for an open feel as you did.

The tank looks great, the bulb combination is very nice.

Not exactly sure if its anywhere in this thread but did you ever end up taking out the yellow tang and seahorse? I thought they looked great in there

Thanks alot duoc appreciate you following the thread.

The tang i got rid of quite some time ago as he outgrew the tank and gave him to a fellow reefer. The seahorse is still there and doing well had her for about a year and a half...definitely my favorite girl.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perfect summary/write up! Too bad that in two more pages, everyone will be asking the same questions, lol.

What kind of light is that again?

Hey Hype,

Can you take a top down shot of the reef with the pumps off? I would love to get a feel for the overall layout.

Thanks.

Hey Hype,

Can you take a top down shot of the reef with the pumps off? I would love to get a feel for the overall layout.

Thanks.

Sure ill try to get it to by the end of the week

Thanks Hype. I know it can be tough getting a good surface shot with the reflection of T5s.

Tell me about it!

Yay! love this tank Hype!! *drool*

Thanks Maria :)

Oh a top down shot sounds cool! Refresh my memory, how many gallons is this tank? I vaguely recall something around 30ish, but I could be way off base.

thanks for the write up on page 175

Np thanks for checking it out marc

If you figure it out let me know, I have been trying and the reflection is impossible to get around! sleep.gif

Will do....so far ive been shooting from different angles to try block out the reflection but i think i may have to pick up a polarizing filter and see if that helps.

Oh a top down shot sounds cool! Refresh my memory, how many gallons is this tank? I vaguely recall something around 30ish, but I could be way off base.

I have one somewhere in this thread but it was taken a while back. I need some new updated shots.Its 22 gallons.

TheNordCelt
Sure candy as long as you vote for my picbiggrin.gif

Ha!

ATIReefbrite.jpg

Thanks ts!your new colonies look great as well. Yea i learned the hard way sps actually prefer dirty water as theres much more food to grab from the water column.When the water is too clean they actually begin to starve and look like crap. The trick is to keep the water "dirty" while still keeping it clean. I know that sounds contradictory but what i mean is if you can keep your tank well fed while keeping your nitrates and phosphates low to nearly undetectable your coral will thank you in the only way they know how.

Thanks alot duoc appreciate you following the thread.

The tang i got rid of quite some time ago as he outgrew the tank and gave him to a fellow reefer. The seahorse is still there and doing well had her for about a year and a half...definitely my favorite girl.

that is a sexy fixture you got there.

Thank god I'm not the only one who realized this lol. Over feed over filter.. ;)

This is probably my new favorite quote on NR...someone with some sense haha I <3 you long time hype

Liquid amino acids, complex carbs and vitamins FTW

I've learned to embrace my nitrates. I learned this from Brad and it's also mentioned in this months TOTM write-up. Finding that equilibrium is the hard part. I'm working on it though.

Thank god I'm not the only one who realized this lol. Over feed over filter.. wink.gif

This is probably my new favorite quote on NR...someone with some sense haha I <3 you long time hype

Liquid amino acids, complex carbs and vitamins FTW

happy.gif One of the additional benefits of being able to use macroalgae for nutrient export is they dont strip the water of the all the good "stuff"(unlike aggressive carbon use, skimming ,zeorocks.etc) So you dont have to worry too much about replenishing those additives.

I've learned to embrace my nitrates. I learned this from Brad and it's also mentioned in this months TOTM write-up. Finding that equilibrium is the hard part. I'm working on it though.

I agree the most difficult is finding a balance...figuring out how much waste your system produces and using enough filtration(whether its mechanical or organic) to compensate...however if you undercompensate you allow excess nutrients to be used by nuisance algae(hair algae,cyano,bryopsis,detc) and if you overcompensate some corals can begin to starve from lack of nutrients. A small amount of nitrates are actually good for some coral especially soft coral and some lps. Even some sps can benefit from a bit of nitrates however too much will cause them to brown out.

One thing macro does strip is iron :/

True but not enough that requires supplemental dosing at least IME. Water changes tend to be enough to replenish whats loss in between maintenance.

Zoos

6852945492_88364c5783_c.jpg

altolamprologus
True but not enough that requires supplemental dosing at least IME. Water changes tend to be enough to replenish whats loss in between maintenance.

Zoos

6852945492_88364c5783_c.jpg

Hey hype, can you do us all a favor and stop being so incredibly awesome so the rest of us have a chance? Kthanks.

Seriously though, those zoas look amazing :) And do you have any pics of that purple digi above them?

Seriously though, those zoas look amazing :) And do you have any pics of that purple digi above them?

Thanks alot alto they've come a long way.That frag is actually a german blue polyp digi but i have a purple one as well. I actually dont have any top down shots of it but i can take one.

Tbh.. I wish I still could go back to T5's. :/ Your zoas look incredible dude. If you're ever trimming 'em up, shoot me a PM? I'll certainly buy some off ya. :)

Archived