Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What camera and lens do you use to take those great shots? I love that huge monti, acans and the open aquascape.

Are you still happy with the switch to T5s? I was using a T5 fixture myself and I loved it but I am now using a Current USA Outer Orbit 150w HQI Metal Halides + 4x24w T5's. I am still debating on which fixture to use. It's a tough decision because I like the fact that T5s make the corals pop very intensely but I also like the shimmer that the MH fixture produces.

I currently have a 60D and canon 100mm IS. Thanks alot timber for the complements.

Absolutely.. im very happy with the switch. My coral colors are the best they've ever been. I know how you feel because im a big fan of the shimmer as well but at the end of the day coral coloration and growth are the most important to me and so far T5's have given me the best results.

If memory serves right, he uses a 60D and a 100mm macro.

Thats correct :)

Thanks, my scape is okay but I need to buy some more coral, just tough finding stuff locally for a decent price.

sick shot

I should stop touching and moving my acans I think I piss them off way to often

Thanks marc. Yea i try not to touch mine unless i absolutely have to.

Thanks, my scape is okay but I need to buy some more coral, just tough finding stuff locally for a decent price.

Thats always a challenge but i find just being patient and communicating with guys in your local reef club can yield nice low cost frags.

How's everything going?! Anything new and exciting? :)

Hey paigee thanks for checking in. Actually i have some new updates(new livestock and frags) just figured id wait until the next page to share some pics. The tank is actually looking better than it ever has IMO. Im really loving the lights and i simplified my filtration methods. I actually went back to the KISS method. Running cheato in one chamber of my sump and caulerpa prolifera in the other. I almost forgot how solid this combo was for filtration. My nitrates had crept to about 20ppm but in less than 10 days they were back to 0 with the addition of the macroalgae.

Macros do do amazing things for nitrates. I just wish I had a sump for mine, they take over the display so quickly! Glad to hear things are going well :)

OH yay I made a new page! Pics?! :D

Macros do do amazing things for nitrates. I just wish I had a sump for mine, they take over the display so quickly! Glad to hear things are going well :)

OH yay I made a new page! Pics?! :D

Thanks paigee. Im not sure why i strayed from using them as i had great success in the past. I guess i just try other methods out of curiosity. Yea im taking precautions to keep them confined to my sump as i dont feel like removing them from the display.

My latest additions. I bought a small school of blue eyed cardinals as i thought they complemented the current layout of the tank. The male and female have currently paired off

Heres the male

6951165295_2a4f8d86c5_z.jpg

Female

6805051642_c3a85ac892_z.jpg

Pretty fish! How can you tell the difference between male and female? I looked but couldn't tell

I can see that the male has a longer dorsal than the female. Maybe Hype asked them and they were kind enough to tell him. :lol:

I can see that the male has a longer dorsal than the female. Maybe Hype asked them and they were kind enough to tell him. :lol:

I thought hype was like Poseidon and deemed what he wanted instead of asking haha jk jk

Pretty fish! How can you tell the difference between male and female? I looked but couldn't tell

Thanks paigee. By the dorsal fin... males have elongated fins.This seems to be the case with alot of fish species.

hype if you had to choose between the cardinals or say blue chromis, what would you have?

Thats a tough choice id go with the cardinals because of their shoaling behavior.

Maybe Hype asked them and they were kind enough to tell him. laugh.gif

tongue.gif

I thought hype was like Poseidon and deemed what he wanted instead of asking haha jk jk

laugh.giflaugh.gif

That's awesome on the nitrates. I always here the horror stories of biopellets, but so far I have no complaints.

Yea i almost forgot just how efficient they are at exporting nutrients. Biopellets can be harmful if you dont follow the instructions. Ive seen reefers crash their tanks because they used too much media

nice photos! I saw the biggest school of blue eyes the other day....It made me want a bigger tank so they dont pair off. Makes me think a school of redspot cardinals the way to go for my tank now.

The tank is actually looking better than it ever has IMO. Im really loving the lights and i simplified my filtration methods. I actually went back to the KISS method. Running cheato in one chamber of my sump and caulerpa prolifera in the other. I almost forgot how solid this combo was for filtration. My nitrates had crept to about 20ppm but in less than 10 days they were back to 0 with the addition of the macroalgae.

That's the way I run my set up, super simple with no fancy equipment. All my corals do great and growth and colors are awesome :P

Did you remove the skimmer?

Archived