Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mojo's 65 the Second Time Around

Mojorizn

So, I got a little crazy and picked up an Aqueon 65 RR on sale, traded in a few things and got a nice deal.
I will be transferring the contense of my 40B into the 65. My 40 was running for a year and a half.
The 65 is the same dimensions as the 40 just taller so, my current stand and canopy will work.

The Gear:

Aqueon RR 65 ~36" x 18" x 24" Think I'm gonna try a dark blue back this time.
Custom stand and canopy
20L sump / Q1 6000 / RKL 3 with ATO kit / Octopus 160 skimmer / Carbon + GFO Bio pellet reactors / MP20 / K3
2 ARO MH 150 / 175 ballasts / 2x 150 Phoenix 14K
4x39 T5 (2) ULV Super Actinic (2) ATI Blue+
2x39 T5's ATI B+ / ULV SA Feb 2012
MH's on a one hour stagger for a "sun across the sky" effect / T5 stagger for "dusk / dawn"
R2 Solutions Moonlight

The Livestock:

BB as of 12/2013
New sand Removed 80% Feb 2012/ some old dry rock + my existing rock and corals. SPS / LPS / Rics /Zoas

1 Black missbar as of 11 / 2013
2 Black missbars ?/?/2008
1 Red Flame Hawk 2010 jumped 7/2012...grrrrr
4 Disbar Anthias 12/18/2010
1 YT ~ 2.5 incher.12/23/2010 Till it out grows the tank anyways.
Nass Snails / Scarlet Hermit / Porcelain Crab / Misc snails and hermits.

FTS 06/22/2012

FTS_62012.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sticker price on sale was $245 tank only.

I traded in some old gear and got the tank + overflow pluming kit for less than the sale price.

The regular 65 is cheaper, of course, but I've drilled a few tanks already ... been there / done that.

The sticker price on sale was $245 tank only.

I traded in some old gear and got the tank + overflow pluming kit for less than the sale price.

The regular 65 is cheaper, of course, but I've drilled a few tanks already ... been there / done that.

Wait until you hear what I've got in mind now.... I'll run my ideas by you on tuesday. Basically I'm thinking about building a reallllly big AIO. Just not sure how / if the idea I have will work, lol.

you have a lot of livestock in ur 40 -- are u concerned about a mini cycle affecting these for the transfer? or are you doing something to 'prevent' that?

you have a lot of livestock in ur 40 -- are u concerned about a mini cycle affecting these for the transfer? or are you doing something to 'prevent' that?

Nope. I'll be using new sand and a few new/old DR pieces. I got the skimmer / Carbon+GFO reactor / and I may toss in some Chemipure Elite (but that's the same as carbon+GFO anyways).

I'll get the usual diatom and maybe a little cyno, but I'm not worried.

My biggest concern is the aquascape.

I'll remove any corals i can from the rock and leave them on the bottom till i'm ready to place.

I expect a rearrangement or two before i'm satisfied...lol

Leaving the corals on the bottom for a week or so should also help the acclimation process (sounds good anyways).

why the move to the 65rr?

I think the dimensions of the 40b are near ideal for most tanks. Did you just want the extra height for aesthetic reasons?

Something different / No space for a 125 / my 40 has a slow leak / a reason to "love" my tank again

pick one

Come on Tuesday

Today was the big day...

Got some help and got er done. THANKS to Glennr1978 and THANKS to Gulf Coast Reef for 30g's of salt water ready to pick.

Some of the stuff in tubs, some in buckets.

IMG_2962.jpg

The lighting:

2x150 Reeflux 12K and 4x39 T5 (2) ULV Super Actinic / (2) ATI Blue+

IMG_29682.jpg

Tank half lit with four screens in place for MH acclimation. Looks very good in person.

IMG_2967.jpg

Couple days later / a different white balance

IMG_29813.jpg

Happy to report no issues. Water is crystal clear, fish are hungry, corals are open,, tank running smoothly.

Now I gotta arrange everything again...good thing I have long arms.

gulfsurfer101

Black friday sell, at gcr, i'm there. Man I gotta say how much I'm loving the way this tank is looking. The lighting on all your corals looks wicked dave. You got a true gem there man.

What do you use to target feed, do you have a Kent Sea Squirt? If not you might want to look into one. It extends up to 35 inches and you can keep your hands out of the tank.

Sea Squirt? It extends up to 35 inches and you can keep your hands out

^ All I read.

Sorry.

Tank looks awesome! I really like the added height and those MH bulbs should get you some awesome growth.

Happy thanksgiving too.

What do you use to target feed, do you have a Kent Sea Squirt?

Will look into this. Thanks for the info.

EDIT:

That looks awesome. I'm in.

Archived