SaltCritters.com

classic 23 l fluval edge reef

classic

Red algae is looking fantastic and good growth. Nice start to a macro tank.

thank you. noticed that i have alot of pods in the tank... still choosing my clean up crew... till now got two snails for the sand, one brittle star and one hermit... planning one more hermit, two snails for the rock would this be enough or would you put something else too?

I' leave it at what you have. two hemits will eventually fight over the snails, hermits take care of rock. you clean the glass yourself, i think youre good now :) Going extra on CUC will provide algae with more waste to feed on. if you feel you have the CUC to take care of all the surfaces in your tank now, there itsn't a reason for even more of them (unless there is a CUC animal that you simply like and must have for your tank). too many CUC will also put strain on eachother since they compete with eachother for food. especially if you dont feed them once all the algae is gone.

hey newman,

thx for your reply.

one hermit is enough for the rocks? the two snails i have are strombus... and mainly take care of the sand. the hermit disappeared for a few days - then i saw him once... and now he is gone again. hiding somewhere between the rock and the green algae. the pump stirred up some sand that is now covering parts of the rock... the hermit doesnt seem to do anything :)

i am planning three sexy shrimp... love those guys...but are they considered to be even CUC? and i dont know the english word for it... the worms with feathers... feather worm? some small sea star maybe?

when can i put my first corals actually? the thread algae need to disappear first right? for corals anyone has successfully having sps only in a 6g? if not i would choose some nice lps, softies and a mini max maybe? what do you guys think?

was also thinking about pistol shrimp goby combination... or only one goby... want alot of diversity basically... got the feeling it is better for a good system... what about sea sponges, sea urchins, squirts?

as you can see... i am pretty much undecided at the moment of what to add and in which order... i want to go slow for sure... since i am only cycling for one and a half month so far.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

i just got some sort of euphy... didnt inflate yet... i just put the rock part into the sand... is this ok... or do i need to glue it to some part of live rock?

• 3 months later...

a little update (pictures following).

the euphy didnt make it... had brown jelly and died... but i now started out with some softies... and added a peppermint shrimp that started eating my aiptasia right away :) plus two sexy shrimp (love those guys)

• 2 months later...

the peppermint didnt make it... but got rid of all the aiptasia... before he was eating by some brittle stars...

the sexies feel good, also the softies i have so far... slowly want to try a lps again... which one of the euphyies is the easiest?

what kind of fish what you recommend? or what do you think of a pistol/goby combination?

post-42903-1319573019_thumb.jpg

post-42903-1319573198_thumb.jpg

post-42903-1319573254_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived