SaltCritters.com

Introduction + question

Shadow

Hi Everyone!!!

I've been a freshwater fishkeeper for many years, and i'm now up for the challenge of saltwater aquariums. Yoohoo ;)

Why did i choose a nano-reef. There are multiple factors, the first one being $$$, i'm a student at U of O, and money isn't in an abundant form, but i have enough to maintain a nano-reef ;)

also, space is a big factor, since i spend most of my time in my room studying, the aquarium need to be in my room. So these are the two main reason why nano-reefs are soo appealing to me. (plus i'm a fish geek ;)

For the last couple of days, i've been reading nano-reef.com boards like a mad-man. One of the most helpfull threads are the one when someone's aquarium isn't going the way it should, this way i know what are the do's and don't.

Before the obligatory newbie question, here are the future specs of my tank.

1-a standard 10 gal tank with back of it painted black.

2-a aquaclear 301 power head (used to have it in my community tank)

3-about 10-11lbs of fiji ilsland cured live rocks @ 10$CND a pound (about 6.3$ U.S the pound)

4-30 watts of NO lighting (thats for starters, i'm going to upgrade as soon as i see a home supply store that sells PC ballasts/fixtures)

5-about 2 inch of aragonite sand + live sand the petstores gonna give me. (the don't sell live sand, because it's too expensive to import)

My question is : I've seen many ways to setup the tank, but what i want to know, is after i put the rocks+sand+water in, what do i do with the lights?

some articles says to leave them on for 48 hours,

others says to not light your aquarium for at least 2 weeks.

others don't even mention lights ;)

any help who be greatly appreciated!

-Shadow

I just run the lights at normal day cycle to get a start on coralline algea growth. my lights run about 10-12 hours every day even if i only have LR in the tank.

spoondigity

My new tanks sounds almost identical to yours for the most part. I have had my live rock in for around 6 days now. Light/No light was the first question I asked as well. Except for one individual (works at a local fish store), everyone I spoke to said leave it on. I run my light for around 11 hours with my rock cycling.

Archived